OT: Any Video evidence of refs jobbing Leafs in this thread plz.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I guarantee you media people trawl the boards and social media for talking points from time to time, so these things get filtered up to talk radio (counting on you, Overdrive), and into the public conversation.

I'm betting they don't. At least not legit ones. Simmons and Eklund? Sure. The rest? No.

The NHL needs to ask itself, is a fan more likely to go spend money on merchandise when an official calls a bench minor on an irate coach that turns into a 5 on 3 that ultimately decides a game?

You think that decided the game? Anyone who was paying attention knows that game was over before that penalty. If he thought they hade a chance in hell of pulling it out Keefe wouldn't have shot his mouth off so much. He knew it was over, so didn't care if he took a penalty.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Kudos to you for those references dude, I'm with ya, although I know most people here don't believe conspiracies exist for some reason unless the gov't declares it so.

But the point is this - money has a huge influence now, specifically from the betting side but from the marketing side as well, and it will always be clouded and obscured by the powers that be for their own self protection, even if they aren't directly involved in the scam, because it protects their own self interests.

All about money.

And you don't think they'd make money from the team with the biggest fanbase finally winning the Cup again? Give your head a shake.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm betting they don't. At least not legit ones. Simmons and Eklund? Sure. The rest? No.

You think that decided the game? Anyone who was paying attention knows that game was over before that penalty. If he thought they hade a chance in hell of pulling it out Keefe wouldn't have shot his mouth off so much. He knew it was over, so didn't care if he took a penalty.

I thought the Ehlers dive on Rielly call sealed their fate. Then the cheap Hyman call when they pulled the goalie to try get back within one was just blatant. A referee shouldn't be turning a 6-5 situation into a 5-3 the other way.

Reactions: Jmo89

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I thought the Ehlers dive on Rielly call sealed their fate. Then the cheap Hyman call when they pulled the goalie to try get back within one was just blatant. A referee shouldn't be turning a 6-5 situation into a 5-3 the other way.

The ref didn't turn it into a five on three, Keefe did. And he did so knowingly.

The dive by Ehlers sealed it, but the way that game had gone there was no way they were coming back even if that play hadn't happened.

Reactions: Cypruss

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And you don't think they'd make money from the team with the biggest fanbase finally winning the Cup again? Give your head a shake.
You are a real mouth piece tonight eh. Touch all rhe tough keys there bud. Get them all. What happens when you shake yours does it rattle

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020

Not only do they already have our money, they laugh at us when they continue to screw us with egregious calls as they as they use our money to keep other teams afloat.

This is , along with the politicization of NHL, why I have become more of a passive fan this year than anything else.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
We can go deeper. If a person can really understand forever there will always be a tomorrow. Shuffle the atoms and molecules enough times, we are all coming back. Groundhog day.
This is my actual belief. I also believe your more likely to come back in a relative as they have similar genetics.

Our genetic makeup makes us unique(ish), not our souls. We all have souls (in theory).
Then you add environment and you end up with the personality you have.

Whats great is the theory allows for both atheist and theist to believe in it.
God and Heaven can still exist as its where this iteration goes, and it follows the 'Granted everlasting life' portion.
If you are atheist, you simply cease existing in this brain, and when your lucky number (dna/genes) is rolled you come back and this iteration is simply lost to the ages.

Oh and also screw you skillitor!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Okay @Azazel, I will play along... if we do come back as you suggest, when do we come back? Like the day after we die sorta thing, some time in the past, some time in the future?

I do not believe there is an organized effort to screw the Leafs by the NHL or the officials. I do 100% believe that these officials (on and off ice) have teams that they cheer(ed) for at one time or another, and I don't believe you simply stop doing that even if you do not outwardly show it. In some cases I think there are Leaf haters that (and I will give the benefit of the doubt here) make calls because of that hate unwittingly, and I think there are fans of the Leafs who go out of their way to make sure they do not make any favourable calls for the Leafs, therefore actually leading themselves to sometimes make non-sense calls against the Leafs believing they are remaining neutral to the situation.

I am sure this happens with most if not all the teams, but the Leafs for some reason seem to be the most polarizing team in the NHL, so many lovers and so many haters, and that is why I think my above statement applies more to the Leafs than the other teams.

In the end, most games have no questionable calls I would say, but when we get them they are definitely prominent.

Reactions: Azazel

Stonehands 1

Another Penalty!!!!!!!!!
Jan 15, 2021
Newmarket
The leafs were tired, they played 4 games a week for a month and a half, i'm just saying that they can't play against there oppenents and the refs, Skilloter is the worst ref of all and any thing that he can call whether it makes sence or not (mostly not) he will, and the league protects him and his shit calls.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Okay @Azazel, I will play along... if we do come back as you suggest, when do we come back? Like the day after we die sorta thing, some time in the past, some time in the future?

I do not believe there is an organized effort to screw the Leafs by the NHL or the officials. I do 100% believe that these officials (on and off ice) have teams that they cheer(ed) for at one time or another, and I don't believe you simply stop doing that even if you do not outwardly show it. In some cases I think there are Leaf haters that (and I will give the benefit of the doubt here) make calls because of that hate unwittingly, and I think there are fans of the Leafs who go out of their way to make sure they do not make any favourable calls for the Leafs, therefore actually leading themselves to sometimes make non-sense calls against the Leafs believing they are remaining neutral to the situation.

I am sure this happens with most if not all the teams, but the Leafs for some reason seem to be the most polarizing team in the NHL, so many lovers and so many haters, and that is why I think my above statement applies more to the Leafs than the other teams.

In the end, most games have no questionable calls I would say, but when we get them they are definitely prominent.

Sometime in the future, how long would depend on how fruitfully you multiplied. More Tickets to the lottery, so to speak.

I would love to say there is no interference from the NHL but ive read emails from Campbell to Walkom discussing very specific players, their dislike of said players and Campbell urging Walkom to discipline certain officials who didn't "tow the company line". The official in question was fired. He brought charges to court stating that they fired him for being part of a union. He lost the case because he actually hurt his case by bringing the emails to the court. If anything it showed he was fired for not colluding(opinion) and his being in a union or not would have played no part in his eventual dismissal.

I also think you are right. I simply believe that Walkom watched for bias, then made sure he kept the officials that had a similar bias.
The officials know, probably not outright, but they know when they are 'disciplined' or not.

Campbell called Savard the biggest faker.

I believe he has placed that label on the entire Leafs team. I believe its why Boston can get away with elbowing our players in the head and never get a call. If you call it Campbell will flip out and say the Leafs player was faking/diving. Even when it results in injury. This would also account for the DOPS not issuing suspensions to players who hit Leaf players dirty.

Colin Campbell exposed: Says Marc Savard is "biggest faker going"; berates officials for picking on his son | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

This is a good breakdown. Ive read first hand the court documents so I can attest that what is shown on this site (the quoted stuff from the case) is legitimate.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The leafs were tired, they played 4 games a week for a month and a half, i'm just saying that they can't play against there oppenents and the refs, Skilloter is the worst ref of all and any thing that he can call whether it makes sence or not (mostly not) he will, and the league protects him and his shit calls.
He’ll get some popcorn and a drink when fans return. Maybe not but he deserves it. He’s a trash ref. Keefe can’t take his crap either. There will be more video in here by season end involving more incompetence besides him but he’s a tool

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
the waved off goal was huge point in the game. At no point in the game did I think the game was over until that call was made. 4-2 with 10 mins to go and then going straight to the PP is a huge swing. There really was no logic that went into that decision to wave it off. That puck was never going to be stopped. With the call on the ice being goal, I have a very hard time understanding how that was conclusive enough to overturn. Either way, the Leafs deserved their fate last night. If you don't start on time and you let in very soft goals (1, 2, and 4) you will lose most nights. As big of a clown Skillitor is, I refuse to blame this one on him. I am curious who makes that call. If its the "command centre" in TO, that is truly horrendous. If its the official who has taken abuse all weekend from the Leafs, albeit deservedly so, at least I see the spite angle. It just doesn't make sense. It reminded me a lot of Auston Matthews goal against Boston in the 2018-19 Playoffs. Boston was bitching and moaning about the goalie interference on the play, yet Tukka didn't even have a snowballs chance in hell at making the save. They seemed to get the call right that night. Not really sure what the difference is TBH.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
the waved off goal was huge point in the game. At no point in the game did I think the game was over until that call was made. 4-2 with 10 mins to go and then going straight to the PP is a huge swing. There really was no logic that went into that decision to wave it off. That puck was never going to be stopped. With the call on the ice being goal, I have a very hard time understanding how that was conclusive enough to overturn. Either way, the Leafs deserved their fate last night. If you don't start on time and you let in very soft goals (1, 2, and 4) you will lose most nights. As big of a clown Skillitor is, I refuse to blame this one on him. I am curious who makes that call. If its the "command centre" in TO, that is truly horrendous. If its the official who has taken abuse all weekend from the Leafs, albeit deservedly so, at least I see the spite angle. It just doesn't make sense. It reminded me a lot of Auston Matthews goal against Boston in the 2018-19 Playoffs. Boston was bitching and moaning about the goalie interference on the play, yet Tukka didn't even have a snowballs chance in hell at making the save. They seemed to get the call right that night. Not really sure what the difference is TBH.

Thete was no goaltender interference. It was in before he moved. They blew another call against us.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Thete was no goaltender interference. It was in before he moved. They blew another call against us.
ya for sure, I am just curious how the refs are not made available after the games to explain their rational. Even via a written statement. Just seems like an arbitrary decision with not logic or reason. And having Graham Skillitor on the crew it really is a bad look for the NHL to even have that as a storyline. An explanation would at the very least show either some accountability or reasoning

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
ya for sure, I am just curious how the refs are not made available after the games to explain their rational. Even via a written statement. Just seems like an arbitrary decision with not logic or reason. And having Graham Skillitor on the crew it really is a bad look for the NHL to even have that as a storyline. An explanation would at the very least show either some accountability or reasoning
Well they aren’t accountable. You just have to suck it up to a extent. I’m past that extent. I love this thread everyone has put together for the recentness it applies and the clarity with all the video everyone has so kindly put in here.
Its a great one stop look at whats going on without having to go off memory right here. There are some posts in here from other fan bases and they say “holy crap this is bad”. I though it was just another whining fest by a fan base they say.You guys are getting screwed. We are and now our coach is snapping. Matthews gets abused with no calls. Etc etc right, its goung on to long.
Posters that doubt i will do something with this at the end of this year are seriously underestimating me.
We need to keep the videos being cataloged Leafers. Keep them coning. If we don’t catalog these things there will be no paper trail. Video trail actually which is all the better.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Yep. Game management is ruining the NHL. Gross.

The discipline that an official might receive is almost always done in-house and not held out as a public example for ridicule. Officials are fined for any misinterpretation of the playing rules. The fine goes to the charity of their choice. Conduct unbecoming of an official can also be met with some form of discipline.

“In terms of accountability, I’m troubled when I see the same errors being made on far too regular a basis. These range from improper positioning, standard of enforcement, game management, communication and building professional working relationships with players and coaches”
Source: TSN c’mon ref segment with Kerry Fraser, 2015
Fraser: How NHL officials are held accountable

Internal discipline is far from transparent and game management is prevalent as per studies and by referees’ own admission.

I hope the NHL has tons of fun balancing the increased marketing toward sports betting and potential liability for fraud.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Mic all refs all the time.

Solid idea.

edit: It will be interesting to see if/how the league explains this. A ref caught redhanded; they are in a difficult position, and one I suspect is of their own making. All eyes and ears will be focused on the refs from here on in, which is a good thing. I'll guess and say that the league will say it's a one-off, but that won't change the perception. Referees are going to be under the microscope as those observing have the evidence they've been seeking about how referees manage games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZEBROA

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Anyone who thinks the reffing isn't bad... if you aren't convinced by shit like this I don't think you'll ever be convinced.

Not all refs are bad but a lot are and its a bad look. Not surprised at all by this.

There's a lot of people in this world that get a bit of authority and it goes to their head, many other professions like this too.

Reactions: OddyOh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad