Any upcoming African Canadian/American Hockey Players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Just to clarify, "African-Canadian" is not a term (at least not comparable to "African-American").

African-American is a term that has been popularized because, unfortunately, due to the history of the American south, many black Americans have no discernible heritage beyond simply "American". And that "American heritage" doesn't exactly inspire pride, so the term "African-American" became a thing for all the black Americans who lost their heritage through slavery.

Most black people in Canada consciously came to this country from somewhere else, thus they have their heritage "intact"; so they're just a "black" Canadian of "X" (Trinni, Jamaican, Nigerian, etc..) descent. Nobody says "African-Canadian" unless they're a) American, or b) absolutely crippled by political correctness.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It may have been an anomaly at the time, but in 2000-2001 the Oilers had 5 black players on the roster: Mike Grier, Anson Carter, Georges Laraque, Sean Brown, and Joaquin Gage.

Things have definitely gotten more diverse league-wide over the past decade, though.
I could be wrong due to time messing with my memory but I believe there was one season in which the Flames had 3 black goaltenders suit up for them (Fuhr, Brathwaite & Tyrone Garner)

oilersblue

Jun 23, 2006
I could be wrong due to time messing with my memory but I believe there was one season in which the Flames had 3 black goaltenders suit up for them (Fuhr, Brathwaite & Tyrone Garner)

It almost happened. Garner and Braithwaite played together in 1998-1999 (a year the Flames had 6 goalies get at least a game!), and Braithwaite and Fuhr played together in 1999-2000 with Garner playing in the AHL.

Thank you HockeyDB!

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
Just to clarify, "African-Canadian" is not a term (at least not comparable to "African-American").

African-American is a term that has been popularized because, unfortunately, due to the history of the American south, many black Americans have no discernible heritage beyond simply "American". And that "American heritage" doesn't exactly inspire pride, so the term "African-American" became a thing for all the black Americans who lost their heritage through slavery.
Most black people in Canada consciously came to this country from somewhere else, thus they have their heritage "intact"(Trinni, Jamaican, Nigerian, etc..)

but most Black-Canadians are either first or second generation Canadian
we have links to our cultures through parents or grandparents
but after 5 or 10 generations, cultures and identity will be lost
for example, i am the first generation of my family born in Canada
and i can already see that my children are far more Canadian than me

ASSIMILATION IS REAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad