Any upcoming African Canadian/American Hockey Players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Pretty sure African-American simply implies that the person is of African descent, but lives in North America, which they are not native too. In that sense, African-American also applies to Canadian's of African ethnicity as Canada is part of North America.

Although I'm a fat middle aged white guy I've never heard of an African- Canadian. To me he's a black guy who can or cannot play hockey.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Malcolm Subban
Gemel Smith

Darnell Nurse
Anthony Duclair
Seth Jones
Stephen Harper
Jordan Subban
Nicholas Baptiste
Madison Bowey
Justin Bailey

Jaden Lindo
Joshua Ho-Sang

magnus svensson*

pernell-karl subban is a good prospect i think i play in mont real. watched him real close during hes junior years and i was amazed on hes wristshot and speed. Will be one of the highest scoring defender within a few

also Matthew Dumb (sp?) will be drafted this year defineatly top 15

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

pernell-karl subban is a good prospect i think i play in mont real. watched him real close during hes junior years and i was amazed on hes wristshot and speed. Will be one of the highest scoring defender within a few

also Matthew Dumb (sp?) will be drafted this year defineatly top 15

PK Subban isn't a prospect and Matthew Dumba is Filipino

R S

Sep 18, 2006
A couple more that I don't think have been mentioned:

Travis Brown - Moose Jaw Warriors
Tyrell Goulbourne - Kelowna Rockets

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Bumping this, it's amazing how many 2013 draft prospects are African-Canadian or African-American. There could be 7+ selected within the first two rounds!

Fin9*

Bumping this, it's amazing how many 2013 draft prospects are African-Canadian or African-American. There could be 7+ selected within the first two rounds!

This. One of mine closest friends is black, and we always joke about that in 20-30 years the majority of the NBA will be white and the NHL black :laugh:

Anyways great to see more color in the NHL, look how little there were black players in the 70s 80s 90s even in the start of 2000. Now you have guys like

Subban(s), Iggy, E.Kane, Oduya, Big Buff, Reaves, Etem, Smith-pelly, Aliu, Stewart(s),Ward, Daley, Okposo, Simmonds and so on..

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
This. One of mine closest friends is black, and we always joke about that in 20-30 years the majority of the NBA will be white and the NHL black :laugh:

That's only funny, because it's completely wrong. In 20-30 years discussions like these will be anachronistic.

oilersblue

Jun 23, 2006

Anyways great to see more color in the NHL, look how little there were black players in the 70s 80s 90s even in the start of 2000. Now you have guys like

Subban(s), Iggy, E.Kane, Oduya, Big Buff, Reaves, Etem, Smith-pelly, Aliu, Stewart(s),Ward, Daley, Okposo, Simmonds and so on..

It may have been an anomaly at the time, but in 2000-2001 the Oilers had 5 black players on the roster: Mike Grier, Anson Carter, Georges Laraque, Sean Brown, and Joaquin Gage.

Things have definitely gotten more diverse league-wide over the past decade, though.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Given the Americas include both Canada and the USA, African American is probably politically correct enough. Having said that, Georges Laraque is my favorite Africain-Quebecois player ever!

Ace88*

What is this african canadian/american thing?

Seriously. Most of the time they aren't even of African descent. It's just a phrase used by white people to sound politically correct. Just say black, folks, it isn't offensive and is actually accurate.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
The biggest drop off for Afro-Americans is in Major League Baseball.

Unless the drop-off is a result of discrimination, who cares? It's not like fewer black ballplayers is a social problem. There aren't a whole lot of professional ballplayers, or professional hockey players for that matter.

In the minds of kids entering their 20's who are getting educations, race is not a natural category. Insofar as it is their kids who will become the hockey players in 20-30 years, we can expect their racial constitution, whatever that means, to reflect the attitudes of their parents. Race won't be definitive for them, because it won't be definitive for their parents. And their grandparents, who still think about race, will just think themselves lucky to have grandchildren.

In other words, I expect the NHL to be dominated by Canadians.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I love it!

Love seeing increasing diversity in the NHL.

I also want to add that there is a lot more Middle Eastern ethnicities joining the NHL as well...
- Nazem Kadri (Lebanese)
- Brandon Saad (Half Syrian)
- Mika Zibanejad (Half Iranian)
- Justin Abdelkadr (Quarter Jordanian)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I love it!

Love seeing increasing diversity in the NHL.

I also want to add that there is a lot more Middle Eastern ethnicities joining the NHL as well...
- Nazem Kadri (Lebanese)
- Brandon Saad (Half Syrian)
- Mika Zibanejad (Half Iranian)
- Justin Abdelkadr (Quarter Jordanian)

I assume Zach Bogosian and the Kassians are Armenian as well.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Armenians aren't from the Middle East

Depends on your definition of Middle East.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Middle_East

"Or as the world atlas puts it: Historically Armenia and Azerbaijan have been long associated with Asia and the Middle East. In recent years some sources now consider them to be more closely aligned with Europe based on their modern economic and political trends. I.E. Both are similar to the former CIS country of Georgia, now included as part of Europe. We have moved in that direction as we attempt here to show the modern definitions, but in worldwide geography, there are often many answers (or opinions) to what appears to be a simple question. "

Then of course, even if you determine that present day Armenia is not part of the Middle East, there are 2 other factors which would imply that Armenians can still be considered as being from the Middle East.

1) Turkey IS (in just about every definition) considered part of the Middle East. Turkey contains regions that were once part of Armenia and still have Armenian populations.
2) During the Armenian diasapora, many moved to more obviously Middle Eastern countries: Syria, Lebanon, Cyprus, Iran.
3) Even before the 20th Cent. diasapora, there were Armenian communities in places like Jerusalem (the Old City is divided into 4 quarters, the Armenian Quarter, being one of them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->