Any upcoming African Canadian/American Hockey Players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
As some mentionned from the Q: Anthony Duclair. He's playing the NCAA card again so we don't really know if he's going to the Q or College route. He got drafted by the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL, the reigning USHL champions.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
Nick Baptiste and Jordan Subban are the two players who were drafted within the top 10 of this years OHL draft. Probably first rounders in 2013

There where a total of 4 then adding in Nurse (also in the top 10) and Stephen Harper at 11. Quite a cool story.

Darnell Nurse as well. Jaden Lindo is a 96 I believe, played on the same team as Subban and is a pretty good prospect.

FYI Lindo played with the 96's, only played with the 95's for the GTHL finals due to suspensions.
That said, he may be one of the top 96's in the GTA.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Why does race come up so frequently on this site?

personally, i'd like to see how the game is progressing. every year there are less and less African pro baseball players, seems like there are more in hockey. that's good for the game, and race relations in general. cudos to posters helping this thread, its kinda hard to find info on the prospects from where i live.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Don't forget about recently signed prospect by the Leafs, Goalie Mark (in da park) Owuya, he was born in Sweden, his father is from Uganda, and his mother is Russian, the guy is hilarious I can't wait for him to be playing on the Leafs, he was undrafted, he's 21 years old, his personality reminds me of Ray Emery and his playing style is pretty close too.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1F9kUDBHw

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Don't forget about recently signed prospect by the Leafs, Goalie Mark (in da park) Owuya, he was born in Sweden, his father is from Uganda, and his mother is Russian, the guy is hilarious I can't wait for him to be playing on the Leafs, he was undrafted, he's 21 years old, his personality reminds me of Ray Emery and his playing style is pretty close too.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1F9kUDBHw

Lol he was 16 not surprising, his personality could have changed and he could have matured since then. Plenty of kids his age are like that. ;)

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Some players I can name off the top of my head:-

OHL
Devante Smith-Pelly
Matt Petgrave
Gemel Smith
Cameron Brace
Darren Archibald
Malcolm Subban
Stephon Thorne

OHL Draft 2011
Darnell Nurse
Jordan Subban
Nick Baptiste
Stephen Harper
Marselis Subban
Justin Bailey
Joshua Burnside

2012 Draft Eligibles
Joshua Ho-Sang
Jaden Lindo
CJ Bollers

NHL Eligible 2013
Seth Jones
Anthony Duclair
Madison Bowey

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Agreed. Political correctness in the states is at a nauseating level.
+10000000000

Anyways, in terms of black prospects who have yet to play in the NHL, I'd say Etem has to be near the top of the list. He reminds me of a poor man's Taylor Hall - skates in a similar super low/deep stance, tonnes of speed, willing to go to the dirty areas, and has a dirty wrister. Isn't on Hall's level in terms of overall skill, puck handling, etc., but stylistically the two seem reasonably similar to me. Don't get why he fell all the way to 29th, he seems like a player who has a good shot at being a solid top 6 winger IMO.

Jonnyboy

Jun 5, 2011
toronto ontario
I watched a couple of games this year and there is a big african Canadian who plays for Kingston. Plays on the same line as Vilardi and can he ever skate.
The last name I believe is Emelifeonwu (Nigerian), look for him next year placing in the top 3 rounds.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I watched a couple of games this year and there is a big african Canadian who plays for Kingston. Plays on the same line as Vilardi and can he ever skate.
The last name I believe is Emelifeonwu (Nigerian), look for him next year placing in the top 3 rounds.

With respect. Thats four posts about the same player, which is 100 percent of your total posts.
No need to promote, scouts find players.

The Kremelin Wall*

Subban is South American.. He's not African in any sense of the word. This is why political correct terms are Pejorative Slured. Black makes more sense.

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
Is there any prospects out there with a BLACK ethnicity backround that will one day make it to the NHL? I've heard that P.K. Subban's brothers are really good and have alot of potential.

Seriously, African-Canadian is one of the silliest terms I have ever heard.

Jonnyboy

Jun 5, 2011
toronto ontario
With respect. Thats four posts about the same player, which is 100 percent of your total posts.
No need to promote, scouts find players.
I see where you are coming from, but like you said I have only had four posts the chances of them being about the same person is very likely. Nevertheless he is a very talented player.

very like

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I see where you are coming from, but like you said I have only had four posts the chances of them being about the same person is very likely. Nevertheless he is a very talented player.

very like

Then let his talent speak for him on the ice.

I look forward to seeing you on the 2012 OHL Draft thread talking about every AAA player in Ontario. :)

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Some guy at my school named Gemel Smith, WATCH OUT.

I'm being serious, played with Joey Hishon :D

Smith is an unbelievable talent. So much speed, has good hands that just hasn't caught up yet. Got noticeably bigger this year. Could be poised for a huge breakout next season with so many graduations for the Attack in the Top 6. Love the kid's game, one of the most unknown potential star talents in the O. Everytime the 4th line got a shift, ahe made things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad