Any chance Ottawa misses the playoffs?

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
They should make the playoffs but they will be out in round one. Sens are a very mediocre team even with karlsson.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
While goal differential isn't everything, the Sens is negative. That's rare for a playoff team. While the Sens will probably make the post season, they'll get the boot early. They are not a very good team.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
My god some Leaf fans are insufferable. Is there any thread on this site that doesn't turn into a Leafs discussion? Nobody cares about the Leafs except you guys, and they have nothing to do with a thread about the Ottawa Senators. Go pat your own backs in the New Blackhawks thread.

As for Ottawa, these injuries couldn't have come at a worse time. Some really **** luck to lose Karlsson, Methot and Ceci all at once. This falls on Pierre Dorion, who is a terrible GM, for not adding a dman to this team, when everyone and their mother could see that we were one injury to the top 4 away from it hitting us hard. Now 3/4 of our top 4 is injured, and surprise surprise, we are losing games. What an idiot.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
This skid of losses started with losing Stone actually (I think we've only gotten 3 points since stone was injured).

These injuries are really telling how important Karlsson and Stone are to the Sens. Without those 2, this team is unfortunately crap.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
My god some Leaf fans are insufferable. Is there any thread on this site that doesn't turn into a Leafs discussion? Nobody cares about the Leafs except you guys, and they have nothing to do with a thread about the Ottawa Senators. Go pat your own backs in the New Blackhawks thread.

As for Ottawa, these injuries couldn't have come at a worse time. Some really **** luck to lose Karlsson, Methot and Ceci all at once. This falls on Pierre Dorion, who is a terrible GM, for not adding a dman to this team, when everyone and their mother could see that we were one injury to the top 4 away from it hitting us hard. Now 3/4 of our top 4 is injured, and surprise surprise, we are losing games. What an idiot.

Sorry I'll keep it on topic.

To me, that Burrows trade was really bad.He had a really hot start, but looks a step slower then the rest of the team. Not only that, he's already extended a few more years and he might be benched or LTIR for most of it. Nevermind the prospect they moved for him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To me, that Burrows trade was really bad.He had a really hot start, but looks a step slower then the rest of the team. Not only that, he's already extended a few more years and he might be benched or LTIR for most of it. Nevermind the prospect they moved for him.

That's probably a pretty fair observation at this juncture.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Sorry I'll keep it on topic.

Another brilliant move by GM Pierre Dorion. Wouldn't mind getting Burrows, not for the price they did.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Most teams don't look very good on the back end with 3 of their top 4 missing.

Especially when one of them is a Hart trophy candidate.

It's tough to maintain 4 or 5 top 4 d-men when there's an expansion draft waiting. It's not particularly good asset management.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Most teams don't look very good on the back end with 3 of their top 4 missing.

Especially when one of them is a Hart trophy candidate.

It's tough to maintain 4 or 5 top 4 d-men when there's an expansion draft waiting. It's not particularly good asset management.

Doesn't even have to be a top 4. Adding another Wideman type dman could've substantially helped out the Sens.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Well yeah, they've put themselves in a position that it's possible.

But it's all in their hands still, 5 games left they only need like 2 wins to ensure they make it, even if the Bolts go near perfect.

That being said, the team is not good right now. For a defensive-minded team like the Sens, losing their top d-men hurts. Apart from Hoffman they've been very cold offensively too, and neither of their goalies have stood on their heads recently.

And at this time of the year pressure can be your worst enemy.

Silver-lining is that even if the Sens only win like 1 of their remaining 5 games, they still have a good chance to make it. It's a lot about how the Bolts can take care of business at this point.

But yeah, the possibility is there. The thing i'd be the most worried about is, if the Sens go, say, 1-3-1 in their last 5 which at this point looks very realistic, and the Bolts go 4-1-0 winning all those 4 games in regulation/OT, tiebreaker would go to the Bolts because of ROW. So there's even the possibility that the Sens miss the playoffs because of one lost 3 on 3 OT.

No question though that the race is between these two teams now IMO. I can't see the Islanders/Canes making it, or the Bruins/Leafs dropping out having all the momentum going into the last 4-5 games.

If you ask me, my guess is the Bolts won't win enough games to make it anyway.

This needs some love. Great informed post.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
You think the Leafs go from 2nd to the last wildcard spot?

Not that it will happen but there's a point separation between the three Atlantic teams. To think it's a long shot for the Leafs (or the other two teams) to fall into the second wildcard spot reflects a pretty high of confidence at this point. Two teams are certainly trending upward and one down but, with the current margins, it's tricky to say the fall from 2nd to wildcard #2 is a big one.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
If Sens go 1-3-1 in their last five, I still see them making it by the skin of their teeth. Karlsson will return, probably will the team to win one game and there will be another that they blow a lead and lose in the shootout. I think TB will lose a game to one of the three playoff-bound Atlantic teams and then not capitalize on another.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
sens make it but they better get their **** together if they dont want to be out in 4

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I am an eternal optimist and might be called dumb but,

I just want to get in and when we're there it's a fresh start, no one cares about what happened in the regular season. I know it's not looking good, but when the series start it's 0-0 and we may get back Karlsson, Methot, Ceci, Smith, and add White to the ship. I don't think we'll get swept if we get in, but we just freaking need to get in and I know my fellow Senators fans watching the games right now we don't even have hope for one damn win.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lmao i do hope people realize that Ottawa's regression is because we are missing a top 3 player in the NHL and our 2nd best defender.

Lol @ people thinking we are losing because of otherwise.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Lmao i do hope people realize that Ottawa's regression is because we are missing a top 3 player in the NHL and our 2nd best defender.

Lol @ people thinking we are losing because of otherwise.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. For those that are suggesting regression to the mean is the reason, it's difficult to support such an assertion when the team's top D pair are both not playing. Even if it was a contributing factor, its extent cannot be fully known until those players return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad