Any chance Ottawa misses the playoffs?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I for one, am scared ****less. That said, if we get in, seems like we'll be a quick 4 game playoff elimination

Sens have played extremely well vs Caps this year.

They trap them. Usually 1-0 or low scoring games.

Caps may have edge, but if that's the matchup - it'll be one boring series - but will probably go 6 games at least.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I for one, am scared ****less. That said, if we get in, seems like we'll be a quick 4 game playoff elimination

Obviously not a whole lot of reasons to be optimistic right now but who knows how these final five games go. Given Ceci being out, I'd bet on Karlsson playing Monday. Perhaps not at 100% but it will help regardless.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I hope not and I hope they get healthy if they face the Leafs.

I want a good series as it will be a first in a long time.

If the Leafs lose, I want it to be because they lost to a good team not that they couldn't beat the out patient unit and Ottawa's ECHL's team.I also want them to have the experience of seeing what good teams look like.

If they win, I don't want sens fans crying and making excuses going "YEAH... Well the team was injured so your still garbage and we're better"

Even though the last will still happen. If not injuries, I'm sure it'll be the refs or something ;P

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

If the Leafs lose, I want it to be because they lost to a good team not that they couldn't beat the out patient unit and Ottawa's ECHL's team.I also want them to have the experience of seeing what good teams look like.

If they win, I don't want sens fans crying and making excuses going "YEAH... Well the team was injured so your still garbage and we're better"

Even though the last will still happen. If not injuries, I'm sure it'll be the refs or something ;P
What happens if we beat you guys?? Are we going to hear that you were a young team still learning??

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I think it's more and more likely they end up as the 2nd Wild Card with the given circumstances. However its fortunate for them that Boston, Toronto, and Tampa have tougher schedules and those teams can't win out since some of them play each other. These injuries will probably cost them their home ice advantage. And given how much I dislike their owner, I'm glad that means less playoff revenue in his pocket.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Sens have played extremely well vs Caps this year.

They trap them. Usually 1-0 or low scoring games.

Caps may have edge, but if that's the matchup - it'll be one boring series - but will probably go 6 games at least.

I honestly thought about how well the Sens have played the Caps this year, but without Karlsson this series is done in four. Also not very confident it goes more than five games without at least one of Methot/Ceci back as well.

This team was never a Stanley Cup contender, but all these (key) injuries on the back end are going to cost them a legitimate shot at winning a round.

Not confident against the Caps or Leafs at this point. Fingers crossed for a series vs the Bruins, but it's looking more and more like we're destined for that 2nd WC spot.

kolider

Aug 3, 2005
Ottawa
The Sens have the double whammy of key injuries and a general slump hitting them right now. They partially go hand-in-hand but truth be told, this is currently one of their longest losing streaks of the entire season.

Karlsson is supposed to be back on Tuesday at the very latest - that will be a huge boost. Plus, Tampa plays Toronto and Boston next week which, if it remains a regulation game, means only Tampa or Boston/Toronto can pick up 2 points in those games. The Sens can hold their position and move around depending on the outcome of those games. They also play Boston which is basically a must-win.

Everything looks terrible when you are losing, and everything looks great when you are winning. I still think they can do damage in the playoffs, but ultimately, they need a fairly healthy lineup to do that. In this case, Karlsson/Methot/Smith are badly needed for this team.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What happens if we beat you guys?? Are we going to hear that you were a young team still learning??

Paul Maurice says that Mike Babcock has a lesson to teach him and all the other coaches on managing expectations: when the Leafs lose its a learning experience, and when they win it's a triumph of character.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

Well, if you kindly look at the 2nd paragraph

So if they lose, I am happy they even made it to the playoffs. I get it must suck to be a Sens fan and know that in the end we won't care if you beat us.

However, to state otherwise would be ignorant. People said we were 5 years away from SNIFFING the playoffs. Leafs have a C top 3 in goals and on pace for 70 points. Two other rookies scoring 60 points.

Success has been due to these players. These young ones are the ones who need the experience. Only way I would hate it is if they were all held pointless and were invisible and the Leafs got swept.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Paul Maurice says that Mike Babcock has a lesson to teach him and all the other coaches on managing expectations: when the Leafs lose its a learning experience, and when they win it's a triumph of character.

Since the Jets came back, EVERY season all we hear is how great they are going to be. Every year they are making the playoffs, and have a better prospect pool.

When the Leafs had Kessel/Phaneuf, we heard the Jets were so much better and would make the playoffs. They didn't.

Then the Leafs announced their rebuild. Jets fans said their roster was already better than the past one, and would be Canada's best team. The Leafs traded ALL their vets and ran a roster of UFA bargain deals and vets who were done in the NHL, and the Jets not only missed the playoffs, THEY ONLY HAD 9 MORE POINTS THAN THAT TEAM

Then all summer we hear how great Laine is, and how the Jets prospects are graduating, and will be SOOO much better than the Leafs, and how their roster is so much better.

Jets have missed AGAIN, while the Leafs have had time to rebuild and make the playoffs, all the while Jets fans still saying their team is better.

So let me ask you, if we cannot expect that team to have success after all this time, when can we ever? EVERYONE had Toronto most likely in the bottom 5 this year. If that happened, it was ok, they were rebuilding.

Leafs have passed the Jets already. They are over rated, and when you call them out, you get posts like this and mentions to the Toronto media as if the media is ever kind to the Leafs.

The point is, are they rebuilding or are they a good team? The answer changes depending on what is convent. If it's a debate about the team being better than another, they are a good team. If they lose or suck, they are rebuilding, no responsibility taken.

Leafs are a rebuilding team who happens to be good. We are not sitting here saying we're the best Canadian team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Paul Maurice doesn't have a degree from McGill but you don't even need that to know:

You always underpromise and over deliver.

You really think a competitive guy like Babcock didn't tell his players on day one that he expected the playoffs whether the players believed it or not?

Babcock knew what he can get out of his roster but he wasn't going to go and proclaim that the Leafs are making the playoffs and put undue pressure on the team largely compromised of rookies.

I'm sorry that Maurice is an idiot? How in the world did he think he was ever making the playoffs with that goaltending and undisciplined roster?

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011

100%. Everything the Leafs have accomplished this year is above expectations and shouldn't of happened. It's all a learning experience and Leaf fans are just enjoying it. Most Leaf fans don't expect to be a contender for 3 years or so.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They'll make the playoffs, but will struggle to win any games until Karlsson is back.

I mean, our D on Monday could look like this:

Phaneuf-Claesson
Boro-Wideman
Jokipakka-Englund

Any team would struggle/drown with that on the backend. I'm not very comfortable with 5 of those guys on the 3rd pairing, let alone playing 20+ mins a night against top lines.

Don't worry guys...look how well the Leafs did with Dion as a #1D....you'll be fine!

***slowly backs out of thread***

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Nah they'll make it, probably lose home ice though and possibly end up facing Washington

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Nah I think they're fine. It is slightly alarming that Tampa is breathing down your necks though.

Also what's wrong with Dion? I've always loved him but found him to be a polarizing player. I think there's less pressure at least now that he's no longer Captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad