Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014
Canada Jr.B GOJHL is allowed imports from the States. One of the best Junior leagues in Canada. Tryout for a team there...all teams from Ontario many players going OHL after or College hockey as the league continues to develop great players!

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I'm having the same dilemma from previous years. I stuck with AA for another year to develop personal skills and skating ability, and now that I have aged out of u16 I have the option the play 18AAA or Tier 3 Junior hockey. There are no 18AA teams near me so AAA would be the only option. I'm trying out for multiple AAA teams and attending 2 Jr Camps. What would provide better development long term? The Jr teams participate in USPHL Mid-West and NA3HL. Not entirely sure of the aaa leagues yet as mergers may be happening.

as a 98' who is 6'1" and 180lbs which do you think would suit better as far as more development for me. I'm leaning towards AAA because there's more exposure there but if I can develop better with a Jr. team I would rather go there. The camps aren't until May 9th so please take as long as you need to answer my question.

thanks,
Matt.

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014
I'm having the same dilemma from previous years. I stuck with AA for another year to develop personal skills and skating ability, and now that I have aged out of u16 I have the option the play 18AAA or Tier 3 Junior hockey. There are no 18AA teams near me so AAA would be the only option. I'm trying out for multiple AAA teams and attending 2 Jr Camps. What would provide better development long term? The Jr teams participate in USPHL Mid-West and NA3HL. Not entirely sure of the aaa leagues yet as mergers may be happening.

as a 98' who is 6'1" and 180lbs which do you think would suit better as far as more development for me. I'm leaning towards AAA because there's more exposure there but if I can develop better with a Jr. team I would rather go there. The camps aren't until May 9th so please take as long as you need to answer my question.

thanks,
Matt.

Have you thought of Jr. hockey in Canada. By the way you talk I think Jr.B or Jr.c would be good for you. Look up the GOJHL- based in Ontario, some solid teams.

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014
Could I get some info on the EHL? How many players move on to the nahl/ushl? Is it pay to play?

So the EHL is based of teams from Pennsylvanian, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont. The EHL has two divisions the Premier and Elite. The elite level is Jr.A consisting of 8 teams and moves amny players on to the next level being NCAA Div 1. The Premier is Jr.A aswell and has a wider range of teams. I don't believe you have to pay to play but they do have import rules and they do have a few euroepans. Not many advance to the USHL though. May I ask if you are from the USA you have a good chance or Canada. However they do have more americans than Canadians.

Dec 13, 2010
http://ehl.easternhockeyleague.org/page/show/1468366-2015-ncaa-commitments

good list of EHL commitments for you. should give you an idea of how many players in their Premier (top league) are moving on to DI/DIII.

This is the first year the EHL has split into two divisions, mimicking the USPHL model, so it's tough to say what their Elite level will look like (Premier is the top). Last season, the EHL was well below the top USPHL league for DI commitments but had some solid teams.

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014
Ya premier is what I'm looking at. How would you compare it to junior a in Canada?

Well there is the BCHL ( British Colombia) which is very strong and gets many NCAA scout and lots of commitments. The AJHL (In Alberta) also strong league that gets NCAA scouts. The OJHL (Ontario) which is and average league, some really solid and some not so solid and struggling. The CCHL ( Ottawa area) is also solid and gets NCAA commitments but I do believe it is a lot of OHL prospects and guys who didn't do so well in this league. The NOJHL (Northern Ontario) I don't know too much about this league but again they have a lot of NCAA Div 2/3 scouts. The MJAHL (Maritimes) which is okay, a few former QMJHLers but mainly CIS commitments. Not Jr.A but the GOJHL (Ontario) is good league. You get a lot of former OHLers, a few OHL draft picks and Jr.A kids however there are only certain teams you would want to look at such as the Caledonia Corvairs(Back 2 Back Champs), St. Catharines Falcons, Elmira Sugar Kings,Waterloo Siskins and Leamington Flyers to name a few and this league gets OHL scouts, USHL scouts and a few NCAA scouts but a lot of ACHA Div 1 scouts. OVerall the EHL iis similaar as to NCAA scouting but different playing levels.

Dec 13, 2010
Ok. How about the USPHL premier, how does the EHL premier compare to that ?

USPHL Premier and NAHL are the only leagues that compare favorably with Canadian Jr A.

We've done this a million times in multiple threads but a good way to think of American Jr Hockey is sort of in this pecking order, and how it SHOULD be split up.

1 - USHL (obvious)
2 - NAHL/USPHL Premier (top of both leagues is very good, bottom of both could be much better)
3 - EHL Premier, NA3HL, USPHL Elite (EHL I think is the strongest overall but these leagues are all pretty close)
4 - USPHL3, EHL Elite, NPHL, MetJHL, WSHL, USPHL Midwest

I think it's pretty safe to say that you can compare the NAHL/Premier to the CJHL, Group 3 to Canadian Jr B, and Group 4 to Jr C.

Since you're asking specifically about the EHL Premier, what I'll say is that it seems that some of the more prestigious teams will get a couple of big names but have trouble putting together depth. The Oilers, Rockets, Monarchs, Cyclones, etc. will always have a couple of standout players, but as a whole their teams don't match up favorably with USPHL Premier teams. To compare to Canadian leagues, I'd put it higher-end Junior B with a handful of players who should be playing up.

Last edited:

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Have you thought of Jr. hockey in Canada. By the way you talk I think Jr.B or Jr.c would be good for you. Look up the GOJHL- based in Ontario, some solid teams.

I haven't thought about it yet. Cost is a main factor. the teams I'm looking at now are by far the cheapest teams in their respective leagues and I'd be pushing close to 8 or 9k for one year. any more and it's just not worth it anymore.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA
USPHL Premier and NAHL are the only leagues that compare favorably with Canadian Jr A.

We've done this a million times in multiple threads but a good way to think of American Jr Hockey is sort of in this pecking order, and how it SHOULD be split up.

1 - USHL (obvious)
2 - NAHL/USPHL Premier (top of both leagues is very good, bottom of both could be much better)
3 - EHL Premier, NA3HL, USPHL Elite (EHL I think is the strongest overall but these leagues are all pretty close)
4 - USPHL3, EHL Elite, NPHL, MetJHL, WSHL, USPHL Midwest

I think it's pretty safe to say that you can compare the NAHL/Premier to the CJHL, Group 3 to Canadian Jr B, and Group 4 to Jr C.

Since you're asking specifically about the EHL Premier, what I'll say is that it seems that some of the more prestigious teams will get a couple of big names but have trouble putting together depth. The Oilers, Rockets, Monarchs, Cyclones, etc. will always have a couple of standout players, but as a whole their teams don't match up favorably with USPHL Premier teams. To compare to Canadian leagues, I'd put it higher-end Junior B with a handful of players who should be playing up.

Pretty good breakdown district9

I've been really annoyed with USA Hockey's tiered status, It's really a marketing ploy because there's obvious talent gaps in the Tier III leagues. USA Hockey should align like this:

Tier I Jr A- USHL
Tier II Jr A NAHL, USPHL Premier
Tier III Jr A EHL Premier, NA3HL, USPHL Elite, RMJHL (15-16)

Jr B: USPHL3, EHL Elite, NPHL, MetJHL, USPHL Midwest (15-16)

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014
I haven't thought about it yet. Cost is a main factor. the teams I'm looking at now are by far the cheapest teams in their respective leagues and I'd be pushing close to 8 or 9k for one year. any more and it's just not worth it anymore.

You don't have to pay to play in the GOJHL!

BigDreamer

Jun 9, 2012
I need help finding a team

3 years of Junior A experience in the NA3HL
18 years old
Goaltender
I work over the summer with an NHL goalie coach
Please Private message me for more info
Thanks

Hockeydad1972

Jun 4, 2015
Great information from everyone by the way. I have a 15 year old that will be 16 in September he has gotten offers from 2- Tier 1 elite league teams and he has 2-Tier 3 Junior teams ( Florida Jr. Eels and Aspen Jr. Leafs ) That want him to come skate so they can look at him some more. My question is if either of the Jr teams want him would it be a good idea for him to go to the jr teams over playing U16 AAA?

Dec 13, 2010
Great information from everyone by the way. I have a 15 year old that will be 16 in September he has gotten offers from 2- Tier 1 elite league teams and he has 2-Tier 3 Junior teams ( Florida Jr. Eels and Aspen Jr. Leafs ) That want him to come skate so they can look at him some more. My question is if either of the Jr teams want him would it be a good idea for him to go to the jr teams over playing U16 AAA?

Keep him in AAA for now. Eels are a good program and I admittedly don't know much about Aspen, but there isn't as much room to grow. At U16 AAA he will be playing against top talent, whereas in Tier III Junior (would guess Eels Empire) there's a chance he spends a lot of his time with and against overagers who are in it for the lifestyle more than the game.

Something a lot of people in organizations that run AAA->Junior organizations try to preach is that it's important to take it one step at a time. There's a reason for U16 and U18 teams and leagues, it's a necessary step for development for most players who want to take the next step. If you're getting USHL offers at 16 and 17, go ahead. If it's NAHL or USPHL Premier, consider it but go over your options. Anything lower than that and it's probably not a good idea.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
sbkbghockey-

you are mistaken. USPHL is 100% Tier III . Bottomline for anyone deciding, go where you feel really REALLY wanted. Like the coach is talking confidently about you playing top lines, pp pk etc. Its all about playing time and be sure you have the organizations full real support. Being told you'll get a chance to earn your ice is coach speak for bend over.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2010
you are mistaken. USPHL is 100% Tier III . Bottomline for anyone deciding, go where you feel really REALLY wanted. Like the coach is talking confidently about you playing top lines, pp pk etc. Its all about playing time and be sure you have the organizations full real support. Being told you'll get a chance to earn your ice is coach speak for bend over.

no one is arguing that the USPHL isn't financially Tier III, just that the talent level isn't. Premier league is far better than every other Tier III league.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
agreed its by far the best Tier lll league. But it IS tier lll NOT tier ll and it will NEVER
be tier ll as long as it keeps sucking families dry for tuition. BTW now that there is a real Tier ll league in the east , let's see how long all those other players that right now are bled dry for tuition stick around when they (as you say) have the talent to play Tier ll FOR FREE! I am not talking about those 1-3 teams that promises the world to a few kids every year and delivers, i mean the BULK of that USPHL league that they play agianst day after day, super talented kids that don't get attention because they aren't on the annointed team and aren't promoted by the powers that be. It's really all become very transparent. And now , the free market system at work will show you what's what in a few years. Should the USPHL be concerned?
You betcha! Merger at some point? probably for a couple of teams and just like the old EJHL the other programs twist in the wind....Just a guess.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Can someone explain the layout of prep hockey such as programs like Shattuck St. Mary's or the New England Prep schools for example. How do they compare to highschool hockey teams in terms of practise schedule, game-practise ratio etc. Thanks

red34

Oct 28, 2003
Visit site
I'm searching for USHL draft results from the last few years. The USHL site has them but it's not easily transferable to excel where I can analyze results and compare the picks from year to year. If anyone has ideas on where to look, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I'm searching for USHL draft results from the last few years. The USHL site has them but it's not easily transferable to excel where I can analyze results and compare the picks from year to year. If anyone has ideas on where to look, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks

Actually, it is easy to import to Excel. Or better, to Open Office Calc.
You need Notepad to clear the format.
Just mark your picks, CTRL + C, then Paste in Notepad, then again CTRL + C and paste in Sheet.

And then you can do, what you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad