Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
Leagues by level of play:

1. USHL (Hands down top level of competition)

2. NAHL/USPHL
-Top couple teams in each league would compete vs. bottom 4 USHL teams easily

3. EHL
-The USHL of Division 3 hockey, best exposure for D3 schools.. Any D1 guys are usually very young in this league and move onto NTDP, USHL, USPHL, NAHL.

4. Big drop of for all other junior leagues

For exposure to Hockey East and Atlantic Hockey, USPHL is hands down number 1; for recruiters it is an easy hour drive... Whereas USHL/NAHL schools have to spend $$$$ to travel and watch. USPHL also offers many more showcase for schools.

In every league certain organizations are better than others, don't always believe what you hear.

-Sincerely, a player that's made his way around the junior ropes.

I'm sending my boys to play in the USPHL premier league this season. I was happy to see your rank the USPHL so high. Any other information regarding the USPHL you can share? I'll be happy to read. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I'm sending my boys to play in the USPHL premier league this season. I was happy to see your rank the USPHL so high. Any other information regarding the USPHL you can share? I'll be happy to read. Thanks :)

You'll definitely be happy with your boys developments. There are 3 junior leagues in the USA that D1 schools focus heavily on and the USPHL is one of them.

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
You'll definitely be happy with your boys developments. There are 3 junior leagues in the USA that D1 schools focus heavily on and the USPHL is one of them.

Thank you so much! College hockey has always been their goal. Excited for them to play on the east! :)

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I have an offer to play in the CIJHL this year. It's a brand new league so I can't really tell you how good the development is and its priced at around 4-6k + 3k for billet. At 16 am I better off staying and playing an extra year of midget AA or trying to scourge the money to play in Canada? The league is primarily focused on player development from what I've been told.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I have an offer to play in the CIJHL this year. It's a brand new league so I can't really tell you how good the development is and its priced at around 4-6k + 3k for billet. At 16 am I better off staying and playing an extra year of midget AA or trying to scourge the money to play in Canada? The league is primarily focused on player development from what I've been told.

Play midget AA. Shoot for AAA this year or next. Don't play in an AAU league. Midget AA might be as high of quality but for what you're getting in the CIJHL, it's better to save your money. I think the first overall pick in the draft played high school hockey in New Jersey...

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Play midget AA. Shoot for AAA this year or next. [\B] Don't play in an AAU league. Midget AA might be as high of quality but for what you're getting in the CIJHL, it's better to save your money. I think the first overall pick in the draft played high school hockey in New Jersey...

No way in hell I can afford that. Haha.

Edit: meant to bold "shoot for AAA this year or next" guess I cant on my phone.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
No way in hell I can afford that. Haha.

Edit: meant to bold "shoot for AAA this year or next" guess I cant on my phone.

If you're figuring 7k for the CIJHL then why couldn't you afford AAA? Would you need to also billet for AAA? Are you not in an area of teams in top leagues?

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012
JR teams in North and South Carolina

Are there any teams in Carolina that hold open tryouts or any teams at all?

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
If you're figuring 7k for the CIJHL then why couldn't you afford AAA? Would you need to also billet for AAA? Are you not in an area of teams in top leagues?

I live within 40 minutes of 2 good AAA teams. Chicago fury, abd Chicago mission. 7k for cijhl would be an absolute stretch. My dad was also planning on refinancing our house which would help pay. 7k is nothing compared to the 12k that the AAA teams in Chicago are priced at. Plus let's not forget the cost of travel and sticks, it would be close to 15. I wish it could happen but sadly it won't. Unless some miracle happens AAA probably will not happen

I did hear however that AAA in other states is close to half the cost of Chicago AAA teams. Any truth to that? If we could get to the 6-7k cost it could happen.. of course theres still billet fees to pay but we can fogure that out.

PowerPlays

Aug 15, 2014
I live within 40 minutes of 2 good AAA teams. Chicago fury, abd Chicago mission. 7k for cijhl would be an absolute stretch. My dad was also planning on refinancing our house which would help pay. 7k is nothing compared to the 12k that the AAA teams in Chicago are priced at. Plus let's not forget the cost of travel and sticks, it would be close to 15. I wish it could happen but sadly it won't. Unless some miracle happens AAA probably will not happen

I did hear however that AAA in other states is close to half the cost of Chicago AAA teams. Any truth to that? If we could get to the 6-7k cost it could happen.. of course theres still billet fees to pay but we can fogure that out.

I would think to look at teams that do not travel that much, are in a top league, and most games are a car drive away. Stay away from Colorado. The least expensive team this year is $11,500 + billet fees + food for travel (that does include all the trips/hotel/airfare/ice). The other Colorado teams (near Denver) charge $18,000 and up. Many parents told me they paid over $20,000. I have twin boys, and we played in the Springs (but leave near Denver) for four years because of the outrageous cost. How could we afford to spend $30,000-$40,000 a year for hockey? Where can you get the most bang for your buck. $12,000 will easily rise to $17,000++ Save the money for a future junior team…if needed. :amazed:

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I would think to look at teams that do not travel that much, are in a top league, and most games are a car drive away. Stay away from Colorado. The least expensive team this year is $11,500 + billet fees + food for travel (that does include all the trips/hotel/airfare/ice). The other Colorado teams (near Denver) charge $18,000 and up. Many parents told me they paid over $20,000. I have twin boys, and we played in the Springs (but leave near Denver) for four years because of the outrageous cost. How could we afford to spend $30,000-$40,000 a year for hockey? Where can you get the most bang for your buck. $12,000 will easily rise to $17,000++ Save the money for a future junior team…if needed. :amazed:

I was told Detroit or st Louis are the best to go to. i was also told the la jr kings are cheaper than most as well but they travel a lot.

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012
NAHL Open Tryouts

how hard is it to make an NAHL team, is it possible making it from an open tryout?

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
how hard is it to make an NAHL team, is it possible making it from an open tryout?

It's pretty damn hard. Possible, yes. Likely, not so much. Think about it. You have to be good enough to play in the league to begin with, and You have to stand out in tryouts. Basically you have to stand out in a way that makes them think "Damn why didn't we draft him" you won't make the team just cause you did okay in their tryouts. Unless of course you fill a specific role the team needs. I suggest asking what they're looking for before trying out.

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012
It's pretty damn hard. Possible, yes. Likely, not so much. Think about it. You have to be good enough to play in the league to begin with, and You have to stand out in tryouts. Basically you have to stand out in a way that makes them think "Damn why didn't we draft him" you won't make the team just cause you did okay in their tryouts. Unless of course you fill a specific role the team needs. I suggest asking what they're looking for before trying out.

I live in Canada do they even scout Canadian leagues?

JSmitty97

Sep 3, 2014
Hey I'm at 97 birth year, i played midget major AAA in Detroit for BelleTire and Little Caesars in the Spring. I feel like I got screwed and it didn't work out with both teams, so now I'm playing for the Belle Tire Selects AAA in the NJPHL and I was Just wondering if anyone knew if the league get any looks from junior teams or colleges?? If so do I go play there or try one more year of Majors because the Belle Tire coach told me I had a guaranteed spot for next year. Could anyone help please??

7:11 of OT

Not my trophies
Oct 26, 2002
Eastern Suffolk, NY
Visit site
Rumors of Junior Hockey realignment (again) in the Northeast for 2015-2016?

I have just heard that there is a possibility that the USHL may be adding a Development level division/league in the Northeast in 2015-2016 to compete with the NA3EHL and USPHL expansion in the area.

Does anyone have any insight into this, or is this purely baseless rumor?

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I have just heard that there is a possibility that the USHL may be adding a Development level division/league in the Northeast in 2015-2016 to compete with the NA3EHL and USPHL expansion in the area.

Does anyone have any insight into this, or is this purely baseless rumor?

I couldn't really see them doing this, their developmental league is essentially the T1EHL or the HPHL.

If they do, more power to them.

Dec 13, 2010
Haven't heard anything about USHL adding a junior league to the Northeast. Wouldn't make sense honestly, any USHL talent you're getting is playing in the Premier or EHL at this point. Any other league is not producing USHL. Or maybe 1 potential candidate per year.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I've skated with a few AAA players my age and I've been able to, not only keep up with them, but it felt like at times I was almost controlling the pace of the game. I've also skated with AAA players who play 18u and they're beyond good. I can keep up with them, for a bit, but they have a lot more strength than I do so I get knocked around like a pillow. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm confident in my ability to play at and/or above the level of play the current u16s are at. I'm only scared to try out because I don't want to embarrass myself with my lack of dangles.

Screw that. Moves and dangles are great but that's not what always WINS hockey games. Every coach at every level should know that. And every kid in the locker room should realize that the guys who hustle, are good supportive teamates, dig in the corners, win face offs, back check and play D, who aren't scared to take a hit, make a hit, fight when needed and defend teamates are nearly as important as the kid who scores 40 with killer moves. Dont worry about that stuff. It's a big decision that should be discussed with your parents but I wouldn't hold back because of a lack of moves if you're good enough. Keith Tkachuk and Milan Lucic aren't wizards with the puck but they're guys every team wants. As are guys like Jim Slater and Niklas Hjalmarsson. 20 TJ Oshie's isn't what a team needs. Do your thing and best of luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad