Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Well I was planning on playing my 16 year in na3hl and then trying to move to the nahl or possibly the ushl but I was informed that the earlier you get to playing at the level of juniors the more time you'll have to adjust to the speed and ability plus the yOunger you are it's easier to gain skills before you age out so I could play 1-2 years in na3hl and still be at the normal age where players enter the drafts for high tier junior league's.

Bear in mind that NAHL teams (and USHL teams) call up Midget AAA players during the season, too, and create "affiliate lists" that if the player agrees they only can be called up to that particular club for that season. I would also say the speed and quality of play at the Midget AAA level is better than that of the NA3HL, overall. At the end of the day you really have to look no further than the draft and tenders; very high percentage of players taken and/or tendered are out of Midget. More than anywhere else.

Not telling you what to do, just giving my opinion. I worked for one of the better NAHL teams in the league last year and I don't think our staff ever went to any NA3HL games. Our coaching staff had contact with their NA3HL affiliate, and I do believe one player (who was an over-ager if I remember correctly) did get called up once during the season for a while. I don't honestly remember if any were drafted or tendered, but I know almost all of our recruiting was done from the Midget level, mostly Midget Major. Again, just one program in one league and one opinion.

As for the USHL, I don't know of any that scout NA3HL games. They're scouting U16 and U18AAA, and even Bantam Major in some cases, as well as taking a look at NAHL teams for guys that would be good enough to make the jump up.

You're young enough, you could go do that for a season and see how it goes and see what happens, but if you're good enough to play AAA my thought process would be to keep doing that, personally.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Bear in mind that NAHL teams (and USHL teams) call up Midget AAA players during the season, too, and create "affiliate lists" that if the player agrees they only can be called up to that particular club for that season. I would also say the speed and quality of play at the Midget AAA level is better than that of the NA3HL, overall. At the end of the day you really have to look no further than the draft and tenders; very high percentage of players taken and/or tendered are out of Midget. More than anywhere else.

Not telling you what to do, just giving my opinion. I worked for one of the better NAHL teams in the league last year and I don't think our staff ever went to any NA3HL games. Our coaching staff had contact with their NA3HL affiliate, and I do believe one player (who was an over-ager if I remember correctly) did get called up once during the season for a while. I don't honestly remember if any were drafted or tendered, but I know almost all of our recruiting was done from the Midget level, mostly Midget Major. Again, just one program in one league and one opinion.

As for the USHL, I don't know of any that scout NA3HL games. They're scouting U16 and U18AAA, and even Bantam Major in some cases, as well as taking a look at NAHL teams for guys that would be good enough to make the jump up.

You're young enough, you could go do that for a season and see how it goes and see what happens, but if you're good enough to play AAA my thought process would be to keep doing that, personally.
I'm just not sure if I'm ready to have my parents shell out close to 15 grand for me. The team I'm playing with Right now is a AA team who has a slot in the NJPHL, which is a league built with showcases for junior teams, and we already had 3 players that might sign tenders to nahl teams so I might just stick with them for an extra year. Not sure just yet. Thanks though.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm just not sure if I'm ready to have my parents shell out close to 15 grand for me. The team I'm playing with Right now is a AA team who has a slot in the NJPHL, which is a league built with showcases for junior teams, and we already had 3 players that might sign tenders to nahl teams so I might just stick with them for an extra year. Not sure just yet. Thanks though.

No problem. Lot of options, just take your time, pro-and-con every option and discuss with your parents and take it from there.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
No problem. Lot of options, just take your time, pro-and-con every option and discuss with your parents and take it from there.

Alright, so here's where we're at so far. I tried out for an Illinois selects AAA hockey team, But because of a personal matter I couldn't attend the last 2 tryout days, which caused me to lose eligibility for their team. However, the coach informed me that if I had attended the last two days, I would have made the team. Now, this is only spring and all hockey players know sorting isn't as important as fall, But it was still a tryout based team so this was a huge boost for me. My dad said if I were to make a AAA team he would be willing to make necessary adjustments to posting for it, as hard as it would be. And my current coach told me the same thing that you told me, he said the na3hl isn't worth the time for someone my age, It's main purpose is to give kids too old for midgets a place to play. He said he advises against that option. The only worry I have is that I don't have 'dangles' as everyone calls them, I'm just not that type of player. If I were to attend AAA tryouts, would I get overlooked because I prefer using the good old, rush to the outside and beat them with speed, tactic for one on one's? Or should I work over the summer, as hard as it will be for me, to try to get the ability to have fast hands? What are my chances of making the team if I play the type of conservative play I do(more defensive minded, not a sniper, I prefer passing and setting up plays, dump and chase over trying to go 1on1)? Thank you in advance.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Alright, so here's where we're at so far. I tried out for an Illinois selects AAA hockey team, But because of a personal matter I couldn't attend the last 2 tryout days, which caused me to lose eligibility for their team. However, the coach informed me that if I had attended the last two days, I would have made the team. Now, this is only spring and all hockey players know sorting isn't as important as fall, But it was still a tryout based team so this was a huge boost for me. My dad said if I were to make a AAA team he would be willing to make necessary adjustments to posting for it, as hard as it would be. And my current coach told me the same thing that you told me, he said the na3hl isn't worth the time for someone my age, It's main purpose is to give kids too old for midgets a place to play. He said he advises against that option. The only worry I have is that I don't have 'dangles' as everyone calls them, I'm just not that type of player. If I were to attend AAA tryouts, would I get overlooked because I prefer using the good old, rush to the outside and beat them with speed, tactic for one on one's? Or should I work over the summer, as hard as it will be for me, to try to get the ability to have fast hands? What are my chances of making the team if I play the type of conservative play I do(more defensive minded, not a sniper, I prefer passing and setting up plays, dump and chase over trying to go 1on1)? Thank you in advance.

Dangles are not the key element of making a team. See the Cedar Rapids Roughriders of the USHL. Mark Carlson has made a living as a coach with players who play with speed up the wing and win the transition game.

Work ethic, back checking, not taking penalties and team play are what has made Cedar Rapids a successful organization. In the 9 years I have been watching the Riders, I cannot think of 1 player that made the team because of his hands or dangles. I say try out for AAA, if you have what it takes to move on, scouts will recognize that.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Dangles are not the key element of making a team. See the Cedar Rapids Roughriders of the USHL. Mark Carlson has made a living as a coach with players who play with speed up the wing and win the transition game.

Work ethic, back checking, not taking penalties and team play are what has made Cedar Rapids a successful organization. In the 9 years I have been watching the Riders, I cannot think of 1 player that made the team because of his hands or dangles. I say try out for AAA, if you have what it takes to move on, scouts will recognize that.

I've skated with a few AAA players my age and I've been able to, not only keep up with them, but it felt like at times I was almost controlling the pace of the game. I've also skated with AAA players who play 18u and they're beyond good. I can keep up with them, for a bit, but they have a lot more strength than I do so I get knocked around like a pillow. The point I'm trying to make is that I'm confident in my ability to play at and/or above the level of play the current u16s are at. I'm only scared to try out because I don't want to embarrass myself with my lack of dangles.

IceHot22

Jun 10, 2013
New teams in the USPHL league

I have heard that there will be some new teams added to the USPHL. Does
anyone know who will be added to the Elite league? The Premier league? and
how do you think they will do their first year there?? Thanks !

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I have heard that there will be some new teams added to the USPHL. Does
anyone know who will be added to the Elite league? The Premier league? and
how do you think they will do their first year there?? Thanks !

Premier Adds: Springfield, Rochester
Elite Adds: Providence, Richmond
Elite Loss: Springfield, Rochester
Empire Add: Richmond
Empire Loss: Revolution
U18 Add: Syracuse, Connecticut, Comcast
U16 Add: Providence, Comcast

Springfield and Rochester should be average Premier teams.

IceHot22

Jun 10, 2013
Elite Teams?

How do you think Providence and Richmond will rank
in the Elite Division?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
How do you think Providence and Richmond will rank
in the Elite Division?

Can't imagine either being too good considering they are both new to junior A. Richmond had a really good B team but no A. They will probably be in the South though, which is a little weaker so that might help their record. Providence is first year so you really can't tell but I'm guessing not so good because they've never had a junior team.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Can't really add anything or sum it up any better.

DenverHockeyFan

May 30, 2014
USHL Main Camps

A quick question, my son was sent a main camp invite to a USHL team, they said it is invite only. I know that some junior teams at the tier II and tier III level will hold camps as a fund raiser. my question is this - Does the USHL invite only players that they are interested in or do they invite players just to fill the rosters?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
A quick question, my son was sent a main camp invite to a USHL team, they said it is invite only. I know that some junior teams at the tier II and tier III level will hold camps as a fund raiser. my question is this - Does the USHL invite only players that they are interested in or do they invite players just to fill the rosters?

Most likely it's just to fill spots and bring in some extra cash. What camp was it? Open? Or was it their main?

hockeydadco

May 30, 2014
Denver, CO

I will be monitoring this thread closely as my son also recently received an invite to a USHL team main camp happening in June. As he is a little young 15 going on 16 (late Sept birthday) I'm not expecting he will be making any USHL team anytime soon. Still, I'm wondering whether or not this is a "fundraiser" type of thing.

DenverHockeyFan

May 30, 2014
Should have added that I have been told that the USHL doesn't do the fundraising thing, especially for main camps. But I am still curious

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Not too sure but I would say it's the real deal then. Especially if it's the main camp. If he goes there they will definitely have to notice him and it could lead to a draft pick down the road.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Not too sure but I would say it's the real deal then. Especially if it's the main camp. If he goes there they will definitely have to notice him and it could lead to a draft pick down the road.

I will agree with this statement. I spent all weekend at Cedar Rapids camp. There were a few '99s in an invite only camp. Not only does it give the team a look at them but also college scouts as well. Last night at the All Star game, there were 19 college scouts that I counted, along with a few NHL scouts. If it is possible economically I would consider it.

hockeydadco

May 30, 2014
Denver, CO
Thanks for the opinion guys. I also noticed that the link in the e-mail invite takes me to a webpage that you can't get to through the team's website. I guess that gives me a little more confidence that the "main invite only" camp is really by invite only.

blueshirts1488

Jul 13, 2014
USA Junior Hockey Ranks

Leagues by level of play:

1. USHL (Hands down top level of competition)

2. NAHL/USPHL
-Top couple teams in each league would compete vs. bottom 4 USHL teams easily

3. EHL
-The USHL of Division 3 hockey, best exposure for D3 schools.. Any D1 guys are usually very young in this league and move onto NTDP, USHL, USPHL, NAHL.

4. Big drop of for all other junior leagues

For exposure to Hockey East and Atlantic Hockey, USPHL is hands down number 1; for recruiters it is an easy hour drive... Whereas USHL/NAHL schools have to spend $$$$ to travel and watch. USPHL also offers many more showcase for schools.

In every league certain organizations are better than others, don't always believe what you hear.

-Sincerely, a player that's made his way around the junior ropes.

spelman96

Aug 11, 2014
I'm a 97 and I was wondering if you guys could suggest any leagues to play for. I'm not the greatest of players so any league that is good in player development.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I'm a 97 and I was wondering if you guys could suggest any leagues to play for. I'm not the greatest of players so any league that is good in player development.

Where are you located? For a 97, I'd suggest AAA midget for this coming season and the next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad