Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

Hockeydad1196

Oct 6, 2012
MOD EDIT: We occasionally get posts from parents and players alike exploring future junior hockey options. Rather than just having a flurry of small topics, we figured that it might be best to have a single, overarching topic where people can find information about the various levels open.

Hi, can anyone give any opinion here? My son is a 96 and is sitting on a couple Jr A Tier III offers. With all the changes in the northeast with tier III is that a good idea? Should he stay in Midget? Any body have an opinion on the MnJHL?

I'm told by many to not compare leagues/teams as it is up to the player. I am concerned with exposure for him. I am concerned that he could get lost in tier III juniors and not have a shot at tier I or II as he gets older.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

OutdoorJoe

Apr 15, 2012
There are many different schools of thought in this area. Here are a couple....

First, is to play in the highest league possible (without being completely dominated). The train of thought is playing against tougher completion will be the best for development.

Second, is to play in a league where you will be the best, or one of the best, players on your team/league. The train of thought here is typically scouts (tier III, tier II, USHL, D-3, D-1, etc) only focus on the best players and being the best player in the league/on your team is the fastest way to move up the league ladder.

This article points towards option 2. http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=16180

I personally prefer the first option, but with all things it goes on a case by case basis.

Here is a good thread debating two of the options I mentioned above.

http://finishyourcheck.com/topic/76030-confession-of-a-jr-hockey-coach-choosing-what-league-to-play-in/

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I think if he's a '96 he should play 18AAA. Preferably in the USPHL league with an organization that also has USPHL Premier Junior. The it allows him to move up as soon as the 2014-15 season. I would not advise playing Tier III Jr B as a '96 unless you know that you will be the leading scorer on your team. Good luck!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I would lean more toward the 18U AAA route, personally. You'll be exposed to way more Tier II (and USHL for that matter) scouts playing Midget AAA than Tier III Junior A. In AAA leagues that don't have a direct Junior affiliate, you can still get called up to NAHL and USHL clubs throughout the season.

Some of this is also regional and depending on what league(s) he's looking to potentially progress to.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
It all depends on the team, the league and the situation. Can't really give you an accurate answer with the little details you supplied.

turbodaze

Mar 18, 2011
USHL gets a ton of scouts. Sioux Falls Stampede gets players drafted all the time.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
As a 96, I would suggest playing U18 Midgets until the player can dominate (not really based on points, but more play), then move up to either the Premier (USPHL Premier) league or USHL. Jr. B on the east coast is pretty much useless now, and with the dilution in Jr A (EHL), I can't really suggest that to anyone since there will be a few teams with players that can't really play running around looking to take heads off versus playing good hockey (Take this as more of a hunch than anything else). Also don't know how well scouted the EHL will be next year as it is pretty much the AJ+ some weak EJ teams. If you're a coach looking for the best players regardless of age, you will be looking at the Premier league. If youre looking for the best young players, U18 would be the best place to look... So where does the EHL fit in? Regardless of what everyone says, scouts DO NOT have the time to see everyone, so they go where the best bang-for-your-buck value is.

I would say a USPHL team would be best if you want him to stay on the east coast as long as you know your kid is good enough to get looks for the Premier team in 1 or 2 years . T1EHL is a very good choice too, but he would have to leave the east coast (not a bad thing if he wants to be noticed by schools out west) and you wont have the direct communication with teams above you as in the USPHL since the USHL and NAHL just plucks players out from T1EHL and other places to a more extreme extent than the USPHL because they dont have entire youth organizations behind their teams. (Pros and cons to both of these depending on the player.)

As far as the MnJHL, I don't know much about it so I can't really speak for it, but it's not a very hyped league from what I've heard, which is very important when it comes to getting scouted.

Again, very hard to give specific advice based on the lack of details. Just trying to lay out some general info.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I would say a USPHL team would be best if you want him to stay on the east coast as long as you know your kid is good enough to get looks for the Premier team in 1 or 2 years . T1EHL is a very good choice too, but he would have to leave the east coast (not a bad thing if he wants to be noticed by schools out west) and you wont have the direct communication with teams above you as in the USPHL since the USHL and NAHL just plucks players out from T1EHL and other places to a more extreme extent than the USPHL because they dont have entire youth organizations behind their teams. (Pros and cons to both of these depending on the player.)

Great post. If your son is looking at Hockey East, ECAC or Atlantic Hockey schools stay on the east coast and play somewhere in the USPHL system whether it be U18 or Premier. I would try to avoid Elite and Empire. T1EHL doesn't necessarily mean you have to leave the east. Granted most of those teams already have rosters set, he could have played for the Boston Advantage, Philadelphia Jr Flyers, Pittsburgh Jr Penguins, Buffalo Jr. Sabres or Team Comcast (not sure if they are in that T1EHL this coming year) As stated, NAHL and USHL teams call a lot of players up from T1 and NAP leagues.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Great post. If your son is looking at Hockey East, ECAC or Atlantic Hockey schools stay on the east coast and play somewhere in the USPHL system whether it be U18 or Premier. I would try to avoid Elite and Empire. T1EHL doesn't necessarily mean you have to leave the east. Granted most of those teams already have rosters set, he could have played for the Boston Advantage, Philadelphia Jr Flyers, Pittsburgh Jr Penguins, Buffalo Jr. Sabres or Team Comcast (not sure if they are in that T1EHL this coming year) As stated, NAHL and USHL teams call a lot of players up from T1 and NAP leagues.

Silly me. I always forget about the advantage and the other two teams are so far south or out of the way for most of the D1 northeast teams that I consider them to be looked at more by western schools since they play alot of games in the mid west.

Comcast is USPHL this year. They are the Philadelphia Flyers Elite. (Sponsored by the actual Flyers)

Were in agreement here though and Elite and Empire is pretty much useless like you say.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Comcast is USPHL this year. They are the Philadelphia Flyers Elite. (Sponsored by the actual Flyers)

I believe the Flyers Elite is only playing in the Premier division. Not sure what league Comcast is gonna be in besides AYHL. Maybe that's all they'll be in.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I believe the Flyers Elite is only playing in the Premier division. Not sure what league Comcast is gonna be in besides AYHL. Maybe that's all they'll be in.

Nope. Here is the press release: http://www.flyersskatezone.com/goya/files/TC%20Press%20Release.pdf

Philadelphia Flyers Elite is essentially Team Comcast, they just use the Flyers name to draw in more players since it advertises that they are sponsored by the NHL team. I'm sure Comcast has naming rights for the youth levels, which is probably why they are still called Team Comcast at U18 and below.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Nope. Here is the press release: http://www.flyersskatezone.com/goya/files/TC%20Press%20Release.pdf

Philadelphia Flyers Elite is essentially Team Comcast, they just use the Flyers name to draw in more players since it advertises that they are sponsored by the NHL team. I'm sure Comcast has naming rights for the youth levels, which is probably why they are still called Team Comcast at U18 and below.

Comcast isn't listed on the USPHL site though. I know they were for a bit back in March and April and again when they added the rest of the Empire Division but they were recently taken back off.

Biglife6

Jul 22, 2013
Met Jr B

Any thoughts on Met Jr B for a 16 year old? Good starting point or waste of money? He's close to Jr A caliber, but not yet. Better to continue HS play or is Met a better stepping stone? Any organizations to avoid? Will be a junior in the fall.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
If you are in any other area other than the Greater Boston area, Met is way above high school. Don't think that you have to go to junior to get looks. USPHL 16AAA and 18AAA are also very good leagues. 18AAA USPHL is better than probably 90% of all Empire and Met teams. However, the AYHL is not as good as any junior teams (Empire and Met included). If this kid you speak of is a '97 and entering his last season as u16 birth year I would suggest playing Met with an organization that allows you to advance. Meaning an organization that has both Met and EHL (formally AJHL). The kid will grow so much and improve every single aspect of his games (quickness, shooting, passing, physicality) all because of playing with older, faster and better kids than what you would get in U16. Then maybe U18 the following season. I would say more than two years in the Met or Empire for anyone is too long if they are a serious hockey player.

Just a quick list but I would avoid: Brewster, Jersey Wildcats, Titans, Renegades and Avalanche

Hockeydad1196

Oct 6, 2012
Midget to Junior..release needed?

Can someone answer this? Season hasnt started yet but if in contract, would a release be required to accept a junior contract?

jrconfusion

Aug 5, 2013
OHL or NAHL as a 94

Looking for some advice - opinions. Son is a 94. Is too late to just start playing in the OHL. :help:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Well if your son wants to play in college than it's definitely NAHL but if he is looking for pro it's the OHL route. Obviously you cannot play NCAA if you previously played in the OHL.

And I would say no on the "too late" OHL thing. It's only too-late if you're an overage player. No team is going to sign an overage player as a rookie.

Tampafan91

Aug 21, 2013
Have a question with being called up, i play Midget 18 and we have Empire (USPHL) and been talking about maybe me playing a full season. I kinda want to wait a season and see if I can get a call up for a few games, can a team call me up to play? i know they can't for their league game but like showcase or non-league could I be eligible for a call up?

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Have a question with being called up, i play Midget 18 and we have Empire (USPHL) and been talking about maybe me playing a full season. I kinda want to wait a season and see if I can get a call up for a few games, can a team call me up to play? i know they can't for their league game but like showcase or non-league could I be eligible for a call up?

U18 is better than Empire. Only call up I would want being on a U18 is to Premier, not even sure Elite is better as far as advancement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad