Any and all questions about playing junior hockey

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Bauer Invitational. I actually believe it is being held this weekend in Chicago

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
We all like to compare and rank leagues. I looked at the rankings from the most-recent on My Hockey Rankings and came up with this... Basically I found the average ranking for every tier 1 junior league. There were 144 teams in this ranking

USPHL Premier: 9 (Highest-NJH 1, Lowest-PJP 20) 9 teams

MnJHL: 41 (Highest-DEL 8, Lowest-STL 99) 16 teams

EHL: 44 (Highest-NHJ 16, Lowest-WJN 80) 17 teams

NPHL: 48 (Highest-WSW 5, Lowest-FVV 113) 5 teams

USPHL Elite: 52 (Highest-RJA 11, Lowest-SCH 90) 18 teams

AWHL: 56 (Highest-HEL 7, Lowest-BOZ 87) 7 teams

NA3HL: 70 (Highest-NIB 3, Lowest-BCR 132) 21 teams

MET: 115 (Highest-BOS 74, Lowest-WJN 142) 25 teams

USPHL Empire: 119 (Highest-RJA 85, Lowest-FRE 144) 24 teams

Last edited:

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
How much does AAA hockey actually cost?

Let me start this off by saying, im not sure if this is in the right forum but I couldn't find anywhere else to put it. Anyway, Im 15 years old and this next season im trying out for one of the four local AAA teams, and im pretty confident in my ability to make the team. If all goes well, how much will I be expecting to pay? I've heard stories from kids saying their parents pay 15 thousand, and I've heard kids that tell me they pay for it themselves with their jobs and that its only around 6,500$ So how much should I be expecting to shell out?

Should I be expecting close to 15 grand, or about 6,500, or is it somewhere in the middle? I don't want to jump into this unprepared and the team wont give me a straight answer on how much it actually costs, they're just giving me estimates between 6 and 8 grand but after hearing other peoples stories I'm not sure who to trust.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
6 and 8 grand is probably the most accurate. If your team plans on flying to big showcases in michigan or whatever then it could be somewhere near 10 grand. More games = more money

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
6 and 8 grand is probably the most accurate. If your team plans on flying to big showcases in michigan or whatever then it could be somewhere near 10 grand. More games = more money

I think they're only planning on doing a couple tournaments and the bauer showcase.

IceHot22

Jun 10, 2013
Junior Leagues - Comparison

Hi Everyone. It's that time of year again. Trying to figure out what to do next season.
Could anyone please give me your opinion on the ranking of Junior Leagues by level of play. Could you compare USPHL Elite and Premier to NA3HL. Any opinions on these leagues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
The USPHL is a ok league not high talent. You mainly stay on the east coast with a few looks from other leagues. The NA3HL is for up and coming player you will see a lot of player go from the NA3HL to the NAHL since they tend to keep players within their base. I used to live near two NAHL teams most of their players were former NA3HL so its a good building block at the showcases you do have college and nhl scouts. I would look at NA3HL you will get to play all over the USA and not stay in one area like you would in the USPHL. Out of all junior leagues in the USA I would prefer the USHL.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Obviously USHL but for sure USPHL > NAHL. Elite is not that bad and if you put up a decent amount of points and are in a good organization you will probably go D3. Make sure it is Elite North though. If you live in the east and want to stay there for college go USPHL route but if not try USHL.

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Everyone. It's that time of year again. Trying to figure out what to do next season.
Could anyone please give me your opinion on the ranking of Junior Leagues by level of play. Could you compare USPHL Elite and Premier to NA3HL. Any opinions on these leagues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Depends where you live really. If you're in the NA3HL area, it's not a bad league at all to play in and there's a lot of room to move up there. If you're in the Northeast you really can't go wrong playing in the USPHL or EHL, the EHL specifically has a lot of affiliation with the USHL so it's a good path to that level.

Obviously, the best option would be to go the USHL route but chances are good if you're here asking for advice you're not going to be playing there next year, don't take offense to that. It's not a bad thing at all, and if you're young and looking to play you obviously have room to improve. If you're in the Northeast and think you can play at a really high level you should try out for a team like the Hitmen, Junior Bruins, Middlesex Islanders, etc. in the USPHL or the Jr Monarchs of the EHL

Dec 13, 2010
Obviously USHL but for sure USPHL > NAHL. Elite is not that bad and if you put up a decent amount of points and are in a good organization you will probably go D3. Make sure it is Elite North though. If you live in the east and want to stay there for college go USPHL route but if not try USHL.

I wouldn't say for sure the USPHL is better than the NAHL, and this is from someone who covers the USPHL and watches both leagues a lot. They're 100% comparable, and the Hitmen and Bruins would be top teams in the NAHL, but do you really think the rest of the league would be able to compete hard in the NAHL? Thankfully the USPHL Premier only has 9 teams right now, but I don't think the Pirates or Yankees could win more than 5 games in an NAHL season

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I wouldn't say for sure the USPHL is better than the NAHL, and this is from someone who covers the USPHL and watches both leagues a lot. They're 100% comparable, and the Hitmen and Bruins would be top teams in the NAHL, but do you really think the rest of the league would be able to compete hard in the NAHL? Thankfully the USPHL Premier only has 9 teams right now, but I don't think the Pirates or Yankees could win more than 5 games in an NAHL season

Level of play? NAHL is overall stronger. But as far as advancement? USPHL has the advantage for sure. Just look at the commitments from both leagues and also note that the NA has 3 times the number of teams.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Optimize

Key is optimizing opportunities.

Go to the highest level that is willing to draft or give you a try-out while maintaining career opportunities- NHL, NCAA.

Also factor in coaching. If the team has a full time position coach at your position give it more consideration than one that does not. Also rank the coaching from head down to position.

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND

You missed a few teams in the NAHL that are really good like the Bismarck Bobcats and Texas Tornado both teams are very strong. They have been each year. I know for sure Bismarck have sent some kids to D-1 schools. Such as Jason Fabian,Casey Kleisinger,Aaron Quick, All three are Air Force Academy, Ryan Faragher St. Cloud State University (has been the Pittsburgh Penguins camp each off season), Emerson Auvenshine University of Massachusetts, Bryce Schmitt Lake Superior State University,Tommy Burke Bowling Green State University, Castan Sommer Holy Cross.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Better league for college exposure

So a buddy and I were arguing about which jr league is better to play in for college exposure and I just wanted to get your guyses opinions. My argument was that the USHL is better because its the only tier 1 jr league and the level of hockey is much higher than the NAHL. His argument was that the NAHL has more college exposure by basing teams in areas scouts often travel to (don't know the truth behind this) and that they have 2 major tournaments that scouts are all over. Who do you guys think is right and why?

IceHot22

Jun 10, 2013
NA3HL - Exposure

My main concern about the NA3HL is the fact that they only have one showcase per
season except for the Top Prospects that only a few players get in. I don't see scouts coming out to regular league games and one showcase isn't much exposure. It looks to me like the USPHL is more like the AAA leagues where all of their games are played at Showcases which are worth the time for scouts. Also, do the Elite teams play at Showcases with (not against) the Premier teams? I also heard that next season some Elite teams will be playing games vs. Premier teams...is that true??

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
My main concern about the NA3HL is the fact that they only have one showcase per
season except for the Top Prospects that only a few players get in. I don't see scouts coming out to regular league games and one showcase isn't much exposure. It looks to me like the USPHL is more like the AAA leagues where all of their games are played at Showcases which are worth the time for scouts. Also, do the Elite teams play at Showcases with (not against) the Premier teams? I also heard that next season some Elite teams will be playing games vs. Premier teams...is that true??

Elite teams do play at the same showcases as Premier teams and, at the big ones like the USPHL Winter and BJB Shootout, they do play against each other. I remember watching Hampton Roads give NJH Premier a good game. 1-1 after the first half but Hitmen ended up running away with it towards the end. As for next year, I'm sure Elite will play Premier again in showcases.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
So a buddy and I were arguing about which jr league is better to play in for college exposure and I just wanted to get your guyses opinions. My argument was that the USHL is better because its the only tier 1 jr league and the level of hockey is much higher than the NAHL. His argument was that the NAHL has more college exposure by basing teams in areas scouts often travel to (don't know the truth behind this) and that they have 2 major tournaments that scouts are all over. Who do you guys think is right and why?

I'm not a scout but I would say more scouts go to USHL. Think about it... USHL alum can be found and well represented on every NCAA team whether in the WCHA, Big Ten, ECAC or Hockey East. NAHL, not so much. NAHL generally sends kids to NCAA in the mid-west. You can argue "well the NAHL has mid-western based teams". Well so does the USHL and the USHL sends players all over the country. I would say USHL has better exposure better they have both eastern, central and western scouts while the NAHL only has central and western

MNWild9

Feb 16, 2010
Minot,ND
I'm not a scout but I would say more scouts go to USHL. Think about it... USHL alum can be found and well represented on every NCAA team whether in the WCHA, Big Ten, ECAC or Hockey East. NAHL, not so much. NAHL generally sends kids to NCAA in the mid-west. You can argue "well the NAHL has mid-western based teams". Well so does the USHL and the USHL sends players all over the country. I would say USHL has better exposure better they have both eastern, central and western scouts while the NAHL only has central and western

I think your off on that one. The USHL has very little leagues in the South. The NAHL has a lot of team in the south. Both leagues send kids to all D-1 schools and not just in the mid-west. I work for a USHL team and most kids are staying in the Mid-west. Unlike when I worked for a NAHL team all the kids went to the East. It all depends on what teams are looking for.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Im posting yet again, but for another reason regarding playing. Earlier I asked about the costs of playing AAA because im fairly confident I will make the team, but my coach has ties to an NA3HL team called the Junior Bulldogs and they said they are looking for young players to play with them next year. Which route do you guys think would be better for me? Playing my last year of U16AAA or playing in the NA3HL(assuming I make the team, of course) How will costs be different? What do the teams in the NA3HL actually supply, my cousin played for The Peoria Mustangs and said the only thing they paid for were helmets and gloves but other teams paid for sticks for players. What will the exposure be like compared to playing AAA?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

The USHL is the better league to play in, period, both for the level of play and subsequently how heavily it is scouted. If you're a legitimate USHL-level talent, you don't stay in the NAHL because you think you'll get more college exposure. It's just simply not the case.

The best league is going to give you the most exposure, period. About the only exception to that is if you're a USHL guy who's a bubble player and not in the lineup much, you're probably better served playing for a NAHL team and being in the lineup every night. But as far league for league, there is no better exposure to colleges than the USHL, and that's not a knock on the NAHL because clearly they're sending a lot of guys to college, too. At the end of the day if you're good enough, you're going to get seen.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Im posting yet again, but for another reason regarding playing. Earlier I asked about the costs of playing AAA because im fairly confident I will make the team, but my coach has ties to an NA3HL team called the Junior Bulldogs and they said they are looking for young players to play with them next year. Which route do you guys think would be better for me? Playing my last year of U16AAA or playing in the NA3HL(assuming I make the team, of course) How will costs be different? What do the teams in the NA3HL actually supply, my cousin played for The Peoria Mustangs and said the only thing they paid for were helmets and gloves but other teams paid for sticks for players. What will the exposure be like compared to playing AAA?

AAA is always going to give you better exposure. AAA teams are regularly scouted by the NAHL, USHL, CHL, NCAA, and even NHL. The NA3HL is a solid league, but the only exposure you're going to get playing there is a little bit of NAHL teams because there are affiliations between the two leagues but even then it's minor and they look more at AAA, mid-lower NCAA DIII programs, and ACHA programs. If that's what you're looking for, by all means go for it. Those are all solid options, and if it costs less to play in the NA3HL then that could be the best route for you. If you're looking for simply the best exposure possible, AAA is the way to go.

Last edited:

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
AAA is always going to give you better exposure. AAA teams are regularly scouted by the NAHL, USHL, CHL, NCAA, and even NHL. The NA3HL is a solid league, but the only exposure you're going to get playing there is a little bit of NAHL teams because there are affiliations between the two leagues but even then it's minor and they look more at AAA, mid-lower NCAA DIII programs, and ACHA programs. If that's what you're looking for, by all means go for it. Those are all solid options, and if it costs less to play in the NA3HL then that could be the best route for you. If you're looking for simply the best exposure possible, AAA is the way to go.
Well I was planning on playing my 16 year in na3hl and then trying to move to the nahl or possibly the ushl but I was informed that the earlier you get to playing at the level of juniors the more time you'll have to adjust to the speed and ability plus the yOunger you are it's easier to gain skills before you age out so I could play 1-2 years in na3hl and still be at the normal age where players enter the drafts for high tier junior league's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad