Waived: Antti Raanta

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Raanta is a classy guy. That said you can't have literally the worst stats at your position in a pro league on a competitive team.

I'm surprised they waived him. Was there no way to find him on LTIR? Maybe they sat down and talked to him and he said he wanted a chance to play somewhere else rather than be LTIR'd?

And who’s the backup lol

@DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Raanta is a classy guy. That said you can't have literally the worst stats at your position in a pro league on a competitive team.

I'm surprised they waived him. Was there no way to find him on LTIR? Maybe they sat down and talked to him and he said he wanted a chance to play somewhere else rather than be LTIR'd?

@DaveG

oh... oh god, it all checks out, this is how it ends

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I think that may be due to the roster requirement of CBA16.4 (c): Except in case of emergency, there shall be no reduction of the required minimum Playing Rosters of the Clubs, below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders.
Then how can this happen?

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Worth remembering that our head coach personally scouted nearly every game Perets played in college. Yeah, not NHL, but they know his skillset a lot better than they'd know most call up goalies.

Sure, he saw him play games while watching his son play but it’s not like Brindy is some god at identifying goaltending talents.

Plenty of great collegiate goalies never amount to anything at the pro level. Just have to wait and see.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
We're all assuming that Raanta never plays another game, which may not be true. If he clears, he can still dress and be an emergency backup -- awkward for everybody, maybe, but still possible until a new goalie actually appears.

Just seems like the org wouldn't do that to him. That's like twisting the knife, but maybe not? I don't know.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'll say this, I hate this. I hate that it came to this. I really like Raanta, he's been such a good teammate over the years and I really wanted him to break out of the funk. I left the arena just sad last night because I knew it was probably the end for him.

But you can't put him out there anymore. It's not fair to anyone to continue throwing him out there when he just cannot handle it.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
They waived Martinook last year. Let’s not act like Raanta can’t play another game for this team

Technically true, but it was a different situation. I agree he could play another game after being waived but he wasn't waived solely for cap management purposes like Martinook. The team also hasn't said they hope to keep him like when Marty was waived. This is Carolina cutting ties or at least beginning that process.

That's like your girlfriend breaking up with you, but you still go on that vacation you both planned since it's already paid for but she ends up finding another guy there.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Then how can this happen?

That was an injury situation, and the roster issue was solved by using emergency back-up goalie, I would assume in accordance to the EBUG rules and requirements.

Meanwhile the Canes are not in any injury-related situation which would allow them to activate any emergency exception measure in the CBA.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
That was an injury situation, and the roster issue was solved by using emergency back-up goalie, I would assume in accordance to the EBUG rules and requirements.

Meanwhile the Canes are not in any injury-related situation which would allow them to activate any emergency exception measure in the CBA.
I understand the injury the Stars have, but isn’t 24 hours enough time to call up your AHL Goalie? Just curious if there was a time frame. I asked because I thought it was kind of ironic considering your explanation of the rules, which I thank you for.

Thanks for keeping us informed

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I understand the injury the Stars have, but isn’t 24 hours enough time to call up your AHL Goalie? Just curious if there was a time frame. I asked because I thought it was kind of ironic considering your explanation of the rules, which I thank you for.

Thanks for keeping us informed
The CBA is a bit funny, because to be able to use an EBUG and sign a goalie for ATO requires the emergency condition as defined in paragraph 13.12 (m) which concerns emergency recall from AHL. So it's almost like it's optional whether the team chooses to use an EBUG or Emergency Recall. It's really up to the Commissioner if the situation is an "emergency", with no solid time frame set for it.

(b) Amateur Try-Out Agreement. Notwithstanding Section 11.1(a) above, a Club
and an amateur Player will be permitted to execute the form Amateur Try-Out Agreement
("ATO") annexed hereto as Exhibit 17 under emergency conditions as set forth in Section
13.12(m)(ii). The Club shall submit to Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with
Exhibit 3 hereto, an ATO form signed by the Club and the Player. The League shall use
reasonable efforts to approve and register, or reject, the ATO prior to the NHL Regular Season
Game in which the amateur Player is scheduled to play and shall provide notification of such
approval and registration or rejection forthwith to the NHLPA and the Club, and the Club in turn
shall notify the Player, in accordance with Exhibit 3. No Player shall play in an NHL Regular
Season Game pursuant to an ATO unless and until approved by the League.
(m) Emergency Recall.
(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League may
be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at any time for
the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned
promptly to the club from which he was Recalled.
(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of
the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by
League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2)
goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the
existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be
furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.
(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency conditions at
any time, to support the Recall of a Player for participation in any Playoff
Game, it shall be deemed that the Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m.
New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last
day of the Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the
season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been eliminated
from further play for the season.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
The CBA is a bit funny, because to be able to use an EBUG and sign a goalie for ATO requires the emergency condition as defined in paragraph 13.12 (m) which concerns emergency recall from AHL. So it's almost like it's optional whether the team chooses to use an EBUG or Emergency Recall. It's really up to the Commissioner if the situation is an "emergency", with no solid time frame set for it.
Thanks once again

Reactions: Lempo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad