Waived: Antti Raanta

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Who is next up then?
Raanta isn’t getting claimed, and he will remain the backup until a trade is made.

This tells me that Raanta likely goes the other way in a trade and the other team can send Raanta to the AHL if they want.

That would make Raanta only a $350K (1.5M-1.15M) cap hit if a team sends him down.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Raanta isn’t getting claimed, and he will remain the backup until a trade is made.

This tells me that Raanta likely goes the other way in a trade and the other team can send Raanta to the AHL if they want.

That would make Raanta only a $350K (1.5M-1.15M) cap hit if a team sends him down.

I get he isn't getting claimed but someone new is going to be joining the roster

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What the hell does that mean?
stats that dont really care about how bad a team is in front of them.

GSAA and Goals saved above expected. both of those dont penalize a goalie for seeing a ton of HD chances because their team sucks. They look specifically at how they do at saving shots they are supposed to save (MD and LD chances) and then reward them for stopping any ones they have a low probability of stopping.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I'll post it here too, Could the Canes be looking at a Trade with Boston? Pesce for either one of their Goalies? This fills both teams need and either one fits under our current Cap space

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I get he isn't getting claimed but someone new is going to be joining the roster
I don’t think the Canes are sending Raanta down until a trade is made. Either Raanta goes back for cap space or the Canes send him down when they acquire a new goalie.

I don’t expect to see Perets or Halak.

Reactions: Tryamw

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Raanta might get claimed

I'll post it here too, Could the Canes be looking at a Trade with Boston? Pesce for either one of their Goalies? This fills both teams need and either one fits under our current Cap space
Doubtful I think both those guys have more value then pesce canes would have to add

Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As I said last night, I don't know if he's cooked for good but he's cooked right now. I was thinking last night was his Brandon Staley with the Chargers moment the other night. This is the closest we can get to "firing" him for the moment. It won't be shocking if he sticks around while we figure things out or if he can get to an AHL team to try to get his act together if not claimed.

It is a shame. We love the guy. But this is up there with the bad goalie performances we've had over the years.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
if/when he clears he can stay up for a certain amount of time, right?

he can still back up tomorrow in that case. so, a move might not be required as quickly as we think and perets can stay where he is.

if he isn't part of the deal for a goalie, we can always loan him out to a team back in finland for the rest of the year. i bet he'd prefer that over the ahl.

(if he has to report somewhere immediately, nevermind.)

hate it, he's so likeable. the whole situation has a 'last days of arturs irbe' feel that brings back that sadness.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Harsh but this is professional sports at the highest level. Hot taek but not even a hot taek, there’s no McBackup on the level of McElhinney even close to saving us. We’re a flawed team, Raanta or not. But this moves gives the optics of trying and all we can do is try amirite

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
With Raanta's Cap space we could trade Pesce and Necas to the Ducks for Gibson and Zegras. and still be above the cap

Reactions: Daeavorn

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
According the weekes perets is getting the call up
1702760415477.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad