Confirmed with Link: Antti Raanta signs new contract

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Nice. We'll wait to see the terms but I can't imagine it's a significant raise.

Raanta is going to have to play 25 games next year IMO. Hopefully he's up to the task.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Too bad it's not a two year extension, then we could trade him at the 2017 draft for 2 2nd's and a 3rd :sarcasm:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Guess they Antti'd up after a pretty solid season of being a backup. I don't trust Skapski or Hellberg stepping in as the backup next season, and I like Raanta a lot. Smart start to the offseason.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm not surprised, but I figured they were going to have Hellberg backup next season. Wonder what they do with him now.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Unless the money is ridiculous, the first move is a perfectly acceptable one. Starting small.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I'm not surprised, but I figured they were going to have Hellberg backup next season. Wonder what they do with him now.

Not sure any of our younger goalies in the system are ready for backup duty next year. If one of them is, they can trade Raanta.

Hank needs to play less than 60 games next year.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Unless the money is ridiculous, the first move is a perfectly acceptable one. Starting small.

I dunno, having a capable back up to 34 year old Hank isn't a small thing in my book. It's critical to any success this team may have that the back up play ~25 games and give them a shot to win.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Since they typically wait to sign fa's until last minute, this is a good sing they might actually have a some plan going forward.

Will we see some of the RFA's also signed soon and out of the way? one can hope.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
The way he played most nights, he deserves a starting job in the league. If we're paying him peanuts like 900k, that's absolutely insane.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
Two year contract? The Rangers expose him in the expansion draft.

Thought the same thing at first, but then I realized what a brilliant move that is. Let's face it: as long as Lundqvist is here, he's nothing but a really good backup. At a good cap number and a productive season, he's an attractive option for an expansion franchise, thus saving the Rangers from losing someone else. I think this was by design. Credit to the Front Office, if that was their intention.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd be very surprised if Raanta is considered by a potential expansion team. There will be lots of options.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Guess they Antti'd up after a pretty solid season of being a backup. I don't trust Skapski or Hellberg stepping in as the backup next season, and I like Raanta a lot. Smart start to the offseason.

Good because if they didn't Antti'd up he would've gone on a Raanta.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
I'd be very surprised if Raanta is considered by a potential expansion team. There will be lots of options.

Maybe, maybe not... Teams will look to move goalies with value (Tampa's situation comes to mind - without looking up what their respective contract status' are, they could get a nice return on Bishop or Vasilevskiy). Think they'd do do the same with fringy forwards/d-men instead of losing them for nothing.

Expansion drafts have historically led to a lot of "handshake" arrangements, too. I hope the NHL doesn't outlaw or regulate that.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

That doesn't matter if they are or aren't.. It's all about exposing $$$$$ to protect other assets.. You need to expose 20-25% of your total salary

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00