Confirmed with Link: Antti Raanta signs new contract

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Not sure I agree with the above. Last year was the first year Hellberg played over 50 games as a pro, he just turned 25. Keep him for depth. Unless of course someone overpays for him...

Oh yea hellberg stays for depth . That contract is buried off the cap anyway

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Well Sather was the man that was on the telephone at the draft, so i'm going to say he was "in charge". Gorton officially took over on July 1st.

Then there's your answer. Sather got Raanta for Haggerty, which was a great move.

That being said, props to Gorton for continuing on that great move by making it a great re-signing.

vstk

Jun 17, 2011
Valhalla, NY
I was fairly confident when the Rangers traded Haggerty for Raanta, that he's going to be a Ranger for awhile. I'm absolutely in love with his contract. Good for RaantaClaus, good for us!

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I was fairly confident when the Rangers traded Haggerty for Raanta, that he's going to be a Ranger for awhile. I'm absolutely in love with his contract. Good for RaantaClaus, good for us!

very happy that Raanta and his gorgeous dog will be sticking around

CNK15XVUEAAvod5.jpg

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Am I the only one who's "meh" about paying more than 800k for a backup?

not when the backup is capable of starting for a fringe team.

Thus allows Hank to play only 55 games instead of 70 games this year. That's big, and worth the extra $200k

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not the biggest Raanta person but I'd rather have him at 1 million then let him for for 200k and take a gamble on whoever we bring in at that figure.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There were only three goalies this year who played any significant amount of time making 800k or less that signed their contract as a UFA.

Carter Hutton, Jonas Gustavsson, and Curtis McElhinney. None of those is particularly good. Chances are if we didn't sign Raanta we'd be going with a guy of that quality or have paid even more for a backup goalie.

The other internal options are Hellberg or Skapski for ~650k. Skapski was awful this year in the ECHL. Hellberg was reasonably good in the AHL.

What would be your preferred option if we didn't sign Raanta? Roll with Hellberg for 20ish games and hope he is capable? And then have essentially nobody behind him as extra depth? The UFA goalies this year are like..Scrivens (awful), Khuodin (meh), Stalock (awful), Johnson (going to get over 1M), Enroth (will get over 1M), Montoya (probably will get over 1M0, Gustavsson again, Zatkoff (wouldn't mind that), Hutton, Lindback (awful). Not the most appealing group.

BearishRiggs

Mar 21, 2013
Michal Neuvirth - 1.625
Jacob Markstrom - 1.550
Thomas Greiss - 1.500
Cam Talbot - 1.450
Andrew Hammond - 1.350
Chad Johnson - 1.300
Darcy Kuemper - 1.250
Jhonas Enroth - 1.250
Al Montoya - 1.050

1 million for Raanta is more than reasonable, people.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
200k difference is peanuts. And Raanta is one of the better backups in the league. 1M for him is a very solid deal for us.

Generally I would agree with this, by the way. But this kind of thinking is also why Lundqvist played such a ridiculous stretch of games while Raanta was hurt last year. Hellberg should have been up. It's why we brought him here in the first place. But the cap crunch meant the team didn't want to put Raanta on IR in order to call up another goalie.

Now, if we aren't hard up against it, then by all means.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Great job from Gorton. Solid contract for a solid guy. Surprised he didn't wanna test Free Agency, oh well thats our gain. #Antiiup

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I'm not the biggest Raanta person but I'd rather have him at 1 million then let him for for 200k and take a gamble on whoever we bring in at that figure.

200k difference is peanuts. And Raanta is one of the better backups in the league. 1M for him is a very solid deal for us.

not when the backup is capable of starting for a fringe team.

Thus allows Hank to play only 55 games instead of 70 games this year. That's big, and worth the extra $200k

Actually, the difference in cap is 250K.

:teach:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
On a side note there are 30 teams in the NHL and 60 goalies that start the year in the NHL every year. For all of the failures of the Rangers for years with goalies, they will most likely start next season with Hank, Montoya, Johnson and Talbot as organization developed goaltenders. That's pretty solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad