Confirmed with Link: Antti Raanta signs new contract

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Perfectly fine with this deal. Glad to see it done, glad Raanta likes it here, glad it's a nice, low cap hit.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
$1M salary counts towards the 25% needed to be exposed in the expansion draft. You will see plenty of 2 year contracts this summer with the player getting a slight bump. It gives the player more $ and helps the team reach the 25%.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
$1M salary counts towards the 25% needed to be exposed in the expansion draft. You will see plenty of 2 year contracts this summer with the player getting a slight bump. It gives the player more $ and helps the team reach the 25%.

Are we sure expiring contracts don't count towards the threshold?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Are we sure expiring contracts don't count towards the threshold?

we don't know, though I presume they don't... why would an Expansion team make a claim on a guy only to have to renegotiate a new contract with him, risking him walking? (Side note, using this logic, expiring NMC's shouldn't count either).

however, the expansion draft should be in 2017, so Raanta's contract would still be active.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Maybe, maybe not... Teams will look to move goalies with value (Tampa's situation comes to mind - without looking up what their respective contract status' are, they could get a nice return on Bishop or Vasilevskiy). Think they'd do do the same with fringy forwards/d-men instead of losing them for nothing.

Expansion drafts have historically led to a lot of "handshake" arrangements, too. I hope the NHL doesn't outlaw or regulate that.

they shouldn't, especially if it's a way to help the expansion team become competitive

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Should be a good backup for Lethonen. :sarcasm:

All kidding aside, he was a solid backup. Definitely some inconsistency there, but we were spoiled with Talbot for a couple years.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I dunno, having a capable back up to 34 year old Hank isn't a small thing in my book. It's critical to any success this team may have that the back up play ~25 games and give them a shot to win.

Absolutely! He can't sit around getting rusty. I think they played Hank way too much this past season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Was he the 'GM' or the GM?

Depends on when Gorton took charge.

The Haggerty/Raanta trade happened at the end of the day on the second day of the Entry Draft last year. I believe Sather was still in charge, not "in charge"

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Was he the 'GM' or the GM?

Depends on when Gorton took charge.

The Haggerty/Raanta trade happened at the end of the day on the second day of the Entry Draft last year. I believe Sather was still in charge, not "in charge"

Well Sather was the man that was on the telephone at the draft, so i'm going to say he was "in charge". Gorton officially took over on July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad