Confirmed with Link: Antti Raanta signs new contract

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
On a side note there are 30 teams in the NHL and 60 goalies that start the year in the NHL every year. For all of the failures of the Rangers for years with goalies, they will most likely start next season with Hank, Montoya, Johnson and Talbot as organization developed goaltenders. That's pretty solid.

Goaltending is the one organizational bright spot when talking historically. They had a blip there in the early-00s, just like they did at one point in the early-80s. Otherwise, they've almost always had a bonafide starter and often HoF or near-HoF quality in net.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
My concern as well. If they don't trust Raanta, the signing is not a good one. Hank has to play less.

his mindset has to change somewhere, somehow, and sometime. Perhaps AV and Gorton agreed that Raanta can take 20 games a year.

I'm just waiting for Glass to be unloaded

I think it was more AV trying to salvage any point possible more so than a lack of trust in Raanta. Will preface this by saying that I am inherently against management interfering with a coach's lineup. Coach has to have the card IMO. However, as he's proven irresponsible, management has to give AV some sort of mandate. With all the talk about the org and even JD himself wanting to infuse more youth, the optimist in me has hope but realistically I don't expect a huge change.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not the biggest Raanta person but I'd rather have him at 1 million then let him for for 200k and take a gamble on whoever we bring in at that figure.

This. He's a known quantity on the ice and a well-liked teammate in the locker room. Why take chances to save $200K if sucht gamble could wind up costing much more?

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Not sure I agree with the above. Last year was the first year Hellberg played over 50 games as a pro, he just turned 25. Keep him for depth. Unless of course someone overpays for him...

Hellberg signed a two year deal last year, with this upcoming season a one-way deal. He has to be exposed to waivers if sent down to the AHL, and makes his full salary (I believe it's 575k?) if he plays in the NHL or the AHL. Rangers may look to move him for a mid-to-late round pick at the draft rather than lose him on waivers.

I always assumed Raanta would leave as a UFA to try and find a 1A/1B type situation (Calgary?) and we were grooming Hellberg in the AHL this year to be a minimum salary backup to Henrik this upcoming season. Perhaps a combination of Henrik's age/health and the organization not being sold on Hellberg as NHL ready made them act quick to re-sign Raanta. Although his willingness to sign for 2 years at 1M per I'm sure was a huge factor also. Don't think with our cap situation we could afford to pay much more than that.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Hellberg signed a two year deal last year, with this upcoming season a one-way deal. He has to be exposed to waivers if sent down to the AHL, and makes his full salary (I believe it's 575k?) if he plays in the NHL or the AHL. Rangers may look to move him for a mid-to-late round pick at the draft rather than lose him on waivers.

I always assumed Raanta would leave as a UFA to try and find a 1A/1B type situation (Calgary?) and we were grooming Hellberg in the AHL this year to be a minimum salary backup to Henrik this upcoming season. Perhaps a combination of Henrik's age/health and the organization not being sold on Hellberg as NHL ready made them act quick to re-sign Raanta. Although his willingness to sign for 2 years at 1M per I'm sure was a huge factor also. Don't think with our cap situation we could afford to pay much more than that.
I wonder how much of that type of contract structure (2-way in year 1/ 1-way in year 2) is designed to discourage a waiver claim from a team with an injury in goal at the beginning of the season. The Rangers waived Talbot and he cleared the training camp of the season when his one-way deal kicked in.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I enjoy this signing and a great goalie for sure! ))

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
Goaltending is the one organizational bright spot when talking historically. They had a blip there in the early-00s, just like they did at one point in the early-80s. Otherwise, they've almost always had a bonafide starter and often HoF or near-HoF quality in net.

Dan Blackburn's injury created that blip...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad