Prospect Info: Anton Lundell (2020, #12 overall), HIFK (Liiga) - signed ELC 6/7/2021

Everblades13

May 24, 2016

He had a really impressive pk shift today. Insane to see a 19 year old do something like that in Liiga.

The whole shift is good, but I thought he displayed nice offensive creativity starting about when he kicked the puck to himself, something that was also right up there with his skating as far as concerns.

Reactions: Ippenator

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He looks fast indeed.

But I’m really not impressed by what I see from Liiga in term of caliber. The game looks so slow.

Just look at #8 and #95 at 0:18. Sorry...but those players are scrubs. Any NHL 4th player would have look as good as Lundell on this play.

Do you even understand that SM liiga games
will be played on bigger ice and bigger rinks compared to NHL games.

In my opinion SM liiga should change those bigger rinks to NHL standard rinks immediately.
But unfortunately SM liiga management staff is too stupid to do that immediate change
so what you can do when peoples who are in charge are as stupid as brainless rams

Reactions: pantherbot

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
There will be an adjustment period for Lundell to the smaller NHL rinks and speed/power of the NHL game. There always is. What impresses me most is the massive strides he's taken each year. Not just this year but over the course of his career. To use a boxing metaphor, he is the equivilant of a fury/mayweather type. Whatever the challenge, he'll I just figure it out and excel eventually. this is a fantastic pick for the Panthers. Gotta be happy with it

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

In my opinion SM liiga should change those bigger rinks to NHL standard rinks immediately.
But unfortunately SM liiga management staff is too stupid to do that immediate change
so what you can do when peoples who are in charge are as stupid as brainless rams

I liked this post for the use of the term "brainless rams". That gave me a nice chuckle.

To actually add to the Lundell conversation...he looks to be progressing well. That's all we can ask for and it's fair to get excited, he's a good prospect. I'm still keeping my expectations in check, never know how prospects turn out, but he's looking like a good projection to be our solid 2C in 2-3 years. Hopefully we still have Barkov at that time, would be a good 1-2 combo down the middle.

Reactions: Cold Cat

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Why should they try to be a better NHL feeder league? That's not in their best interest. Why should they reduce the size of the rink and possibly increase the amount of contact and injuries?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I could be wrong, but the way I see it, it’s like good teams have 3 or 4 players that could be good enough to fight for a spot in the NHL. But the rest of the team couldn’t make it to the AHL.
It's not like the AHL bottom6 players are that much better.

The AHL is way overrated by NA media and fans just because it's officially affiliated with the NHL. Most upper tier European league teams (SHL, NLA and Liiga at least, you could make a case for some Extraliga and DEL teams too) would beat the top AHL teams.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

The AHL is way overrated by NA media and fans just because it's officially affiliated with the NHL. Most upper tier European league teams (SHL, NLA and Liiga at least, you could make a case for some Extraliga and DEL teams too) would beat the top AHL teams.
I’m not sure to be honest: we definitely see top players for those leagues struggle in the AHL. I’m guessing if the games were in North American ice the AHL would win

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Liiga buildings aren't constructed for NHL size rinks, it's expensive and some would even be impossible to transform.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
There will be an adjustment period for Lundell to the smaller NHL rinks and speed/power of the NHL game. There always is. What impresses me most is the massive strides he's taken each year. Not just this year but over the course of his career. To use a boxing metaphor, he is the equivilant of a fury/mayweather type. Whatever the challenge, he'll I just figure it out and excel eventually. this is a fantastic pick for the Panthers. Gotta be happy with it
He's already gotten a taste of some small rink action, being part of the WJC team that won gold in Canada 2019.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Liiga buildings aren't constructed for NHL size rinks, it's expensive and some would even be impossible to transform.
Yes, it would be a lot easier said than done to transform a bigger rank into a small rank. assuming the floor is a concrete floor, that would have to be ripped up and the brine pipes underneath be rearranged. This would not be cheap by any means.

Reactions: violaswallet

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

No they wouldn’t. Not even close

Reactions: sinDer

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

It would be interesting to see a home-and-home series between the Calder Cup winner and the CHL winner.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
CHL = Champions Hockey League

This just proves how "well" you follow European hockey. :rolleyes:
Not really. The top European players usually can barely play in the ahl. Yet ahl and echl washouts can go to Europe and dominate fairly often whether it’s khl or liiga. Besides my comment was meant for Calder cup winner vs chl winner. Nothing to do with Europe

Lobodomy

Feb 25, 2019
Finland

Pretty stupid cross-check from this kid last night, when there was only 20 secs left in the game. No penalty :huh:

EDIT

Better angle:

Liiga said there won't be a suspension because no one got injured :facepalm:

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario

Pretty stupid cross-check from this kid last night, when there was only 20 secs left in the game. No penalty :huh:

EDIT

Better angle:

Meh...he’s a young kid. It shows that he has some fire in him. Obviously needs to be able to control it, but it’s part of maturing.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

EDIT

Better angle:

Thats good to see from our standpoint. The Panthers need that kind of toughness.

Reactions: pantherbot

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

EDIT

Better angle:

What’s the big deal? It was a push with the stick, no hit, punch, slash, etc. He was just protecting his space.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Thats good to see from our standpoint. The Panthers need that kind of toughness.
Agreed and while it’s. Dumb crosscheck but didn’t look particularly dangerous. The video is quick but it looks like he hits him in the shoulder. He’s got a little bite to his game.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What’s the big deal? It was a push with the stick, no hit, punch, slash, etc. He was just protecting his space.

I've been laughing all day long for that how those so called ''SM liiga fans''
have gone absolutely furious in Finnish hockey board named jatkoaika.com.

There is a lot posters who have said that Panthers should terminate Lundell's draft
and how SM liiga should have suspend Lundell for 5 to 10 games
because Lundell tried purposely injure HPK's player with ''dangerous'' cross-checking.

Reactions: KW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad