Prospect Info: Anton Lundell (2020, #12 overall), HIFK (Liiga) - signed ELC 6/7/2021

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Lundell's all goals vs Saipa last Saturday ( October 24 ).
I was so dazzled by the defense of #45 before that I didn't really pay attention to the penalty shots. It looks like he has put in a lot of work on that, with the very specific wide route and then two solid finishing options. It's fun to see players really design their penalty shots.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Some people won’t give Lundell credit unless he repeats what only Mario Lemieux has done, score every distinct way possible in one game. (Even strength, power play, short handed, penalty shot, empty net.)

Reactions: GigaChad

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
2nd best corsi in the league means he played really f###ing well.
4 goals in a game is not a "one game event" but a continuum to his great play.
I understand some here want to downplay these things because of lack of success, but come on.
I for one am very happy for this pick!

Btw in 1 hour HIFK vs Jyp :popcorn:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He also got a nice secondary assist to HIFK’s 3-0 goal. Another assist was close, but his teammate hit unfortunately the post. Lundell has looked very good again today. A pleasure to watch him play.

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
What a workhorse he really is. He skated clearly the most of all the players against JYP. With less ice time than all the other players that skated a longer distance in the game. He skated 5040 meters, which was almost half a kilometers more than the forward that skated the second most in the game.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What a workhorse he really is. He skated clearly the most of all the players against JYP. With less ice time than all the other players that skated a longer distance in the game. He skated 5040 meters, which was almost half a kilometers more than the forward that skated the second most in the game.

Damn, I didn't even know this stat is tracked. Yeah that's the scouting report on Lundell, he's relentless on the puck both offensively and defensively.

Reactions: Keke and Ippenator

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
His skating has gotten so much better. So great to see.

He looks fast indeed.

But I’m really not impressed by what I see from Liiga in term of caliber. The game looks so slow.

Just look at #8 and #95 at 0:18. Sorry...but those players are scrubs. Any NHL 4th player would have look as good as Lundell on this play.

Reactions: klabob

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
He looks fast indeed.

But I’m really not impressed by what I see from Liiga in term of caliber. The game looks so slow.

Just look at #8 and #95 at 0:18. Sorry...but those players are scrubs. Any NHL 4th player would have look as good as Lundell on this play.
Is Haley still in the league? If so, I disagree with you :laugh:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He looks fast indeed.

I know, Finland 2019 without any NHL players beating everyone with NHL players .... a complete fluke. Liiga sucks. Geez.

To anyone more impartial, maybe these early season games leave something to be desired in terms of speed and skill, but these players on world stage, while not the best, have nothing to be ashamed of.

You just can’t credibly claim that Lundell’s play right now isn’t pretty damn good and a promising AND meaningful sign towards transition to NHL.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I know, Finland 2019 without any NHL players beating everyone with NHL players .... a complete fluke. Liiga sucks. Geez.

To anyone more impartial, maybe these early season games leave something to be desired in terms of speed and skill, but these players on world stage, while not the best, have nothing to be ashamed of.

You just can’t credibly claim that Lundell’s play right now isn’t pretty damn good and a promising AND meaningful sign towards transition to NHL.

Half of the Finland team wasn’t even from Liiga. With teams like Canada having their team B or even C.

Anyways...the « problem » with a league like Liiga is not the top end talent. Top players from this league are very good and most of them would probably not look out of place in the NHL. It has more to do with depth.

I could be wrong, but the way I see it, it’s like good teams have 3 or 4 players that could be good enough to fight for a spot in the NHL. But the rest of the team couldn’t make it to the AHL.

And I agree with you about Lundell. I’m not saying that he should be scoring 3 goals per game to prove he’s going to be a good NHL’er. He looks dominant out there and it’s a good sign.

He scored 10 in 44 last year and he’s got 8 in 8 so far this year. So yeah, he definitely took a next step.

I’m just being careful and I’m not ready to pencil him yet as a lock for our 2C in a near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad