Prospect Info: Anton Lundell (2020, #12 overall), HIFK (Liiga) - signed ELC 6/7/2021

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I'm still baffled how he fell to you guys i was convinced that there was no way for him to fall more than 10 slots.

Because he was injured last season and missed the World Junior Championship. That's the tournament where European players (Kakko, Laine, Aho...) prove how good they are. If Anton had played there, he would have been a top 5 pick.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
If a player has good hickey IQ, he’s not going to lose it because he improves his skating.

So what you are saying is that we should have asked to Matheson to be slower so he would have been better?

It just doesn’t make sense at all. Getting faster can’t never be a bad thing for a hockey player.

A player just doesn’t become stupid because he can skate faster lol
Not stupid but blind and will usually start because of that hanging on too easily to the puck simply because you can’t see so well the ”open windows” for passing, because the time that they are open is much shorter. Or they start then losing the puck easier with a bad play because accurate passing during that very short ”open window time” is clearly more difficult.

It’s a natural thing to happen and if you understand anything about the laws of physics, you should really understand what I’m talking about. Very basic things honestly and if you truly deny this, I think there is no reason to continue this discussion, as you are then simply in somekind of denial for whatever reason. I’m just talking about some very clear and evident facts that there is no escaping from.

But the quicker and smarter hockey IQ a player has, the better is his ability to see plays and make good plays at very high speeds. But these kind of players are really a very small minority even in the NHL.

Matheson is clearly a quite low hockey IQ player for the NHL level, so he really should probably slow down his plays more often. But his problem is anyway relatively low hockey IQ for the NHL level, which he can somehow compensate with some other abilities.

But as hockey IQ is way more important than anything else in hockey, I have to say that I honestly wouldn’t want to have a player like him in my hockey team. Of course you can’t have every player as ideal as you would want to have, so I understand that it’s not just as simple as that.

But anyway, I don’t see there much hope with how Matheson is. Probably the only way to use him is to have him with your best two-way players so that his bad plays won’t make the worst kind of damage in general.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Just an notice.
Saipa is bottom 5 team in SM liiga and it's not so big deal to score 4 goals against them.
Yes Lundell had great game and those 4 goals can give him huge confidence boost.

But if you ignore Lundell's 4 goals then you can see that
there was two bad teams on the ice and least bad ( HIFK ) won 2-5.
Only HIFK player who could score with Lundell was Jere Sallinen a captain of HIFK's team.
So the point is that even HIFK didn't play so well as a team.

HIFK wasted a lot scoring chances on powerplay in 2nd period
when Saipa was just sitting penalty box
and HIFK had momentum to kill the game
but they couldn't score so many powerplay goals as needed.

Those two penalty shots were weak calls by the referees
and there wasn't any clear reason to call a penalty shot.
Yes Lundell scored twice on penalty shot which was good for him.

This was one game
and lets see how well Lundell plays then when HIFK has game against Kärpät or Tappara.
Kärpät and Tappara are top teams in Liiga meanwhile Saipa is one of the worst.

So i wouldn't yet say Lundell was a steal for Panthers.
But i'm happy he's a panthers prospect now.

In bigger picture those 4 goals vs Saipa made me want more for Lundell.
So I look forward to seeing how he continues to develop as a player
and whether he can be the leading player in the HIFK's team
What on earth are you talking about??!! Scoring 4 goals against SaiPa is not a big deal? Yeah right. If it’s so easy and such a meaningless thing, then why on earth we haven’t seen all Liiga top forwards having 4 goal games or at least hattrick games left and right against SaiPa during this season?

Come on with this kind of bullcrap. It’s not like SaiPa is that bad that they would be allowing terrible amounts of goals every game. Saipa’s problem is bloody awful offence, not at all their defence. In fact your own Liiga-team has been worse with their defence compared to SaiPa this season. SaiPa has allowed 25 goals and are last in Liiga because of scoring so far only 11 goals. Your team HIFK is 4th in Liiga with 27 allowed goals and 27 scored goals. 5th team Ässät has allowed already 31 goals and they have scored 25 goals.

So in fact it hasn’t been that easy at all to score goals against SaiPa, as some of you want to make it sound like for some reason. The 4 goals that Lundell scored is a great achievement at Liiga level, and there is no reason to really downplay it at all. Especially when it was done by an only 19 year old player. It’s so strange what kind of comments people write here just from the top of their heads.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Just an interesting fact is that other players than Lundell have scored only 21 goals against SaiPa this Liiga season. This amount would make SaiPa the 7th best team with allowed goals in Liiga. It also means that Lundell scored in just one game 20% of the goal amount scored against SaiPa in the 7 games they had played so far in Liiga before they played against Lundell and his team HIFK.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Video of Lundell's draft night.
Unfortunately my computer skills aren't enough to translate this video.
But i hope you guys like anyway

Thanks for sharing. I should go back to the Finnish sources more often.... this was a fun watch.

I liked how someone said (forget who, could have been his agent) that he’s sort of even Barkov-esque in his game and development.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Being that this org hasn't been able to develop players, always side with caution with hyped draft picks. Lundell is not different.

Reactions: mattihp

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I mean there aren't too many things that this player can't do, i also don't really get how so many have said that he's not flashy at all, because he's made some real nice flashy plays but only neccessary ones he ain't one of those over the top highlight reel chasers. One thing i haven't ever seen him do yet is shooting one timers, but his wrist/snap shot is a NHL caliber one.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Being that this org hasn't been able to develop players, always side with caution with hyped draft picks. Lundell is not different.
I mean Barkov and Huberdeau turned out just fine. Weegar, Ekblad, Tippett looking good. This organization hasn’t been great but they are far from an absolute horror show. Lundell is going to develop this year in Finland and then he’s ready for the show. He’s probably ready today as is.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean there aren't too many things that this player can't do, i also don't really get how so many have said that he's not flashy at all, because he's made some real nice flashy plays but only neccessary ones he ain't one of those over the top highlight reel chasers. One thing i haven't ever seen him do yet is shooting one timers, but his wrist/snap shot is a NHL caliber one.

Too many fans are obsessed with flash and dash. But that doesn't win you hockey games. 200 ft hockey brainiacs like Lundell that put points on the board no matter what is what wins teams hockey games. He'll no doubt prove his worth when he gets to the nhl. I'm just giddy that we have this kind of center prospect in the organization.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I mean Barkov and Huberdeau turned out just fine. Weegar, Ekblad, Tippett looking good. This organization hasn’t been great but they are far from an absolute horror show. Lundell is going to develop this year in Finland and then he’s ready for the show. He’s probably ready today as is.
I doubt it got much consideration when it came to us drafting him but I really like that he's playing in Finland this year: a) he's actually playing, which might not be the case for NCAA and other leagues, and b) he should hopefully skip the AHL which is where most of the "bad development" seems to take place.

Reactions: Pigge and Ippenator

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The problem isn’t our first rounders: we typically are good with developing these guys. Since 2011 only Crouse and Borgstrom seem to be missed with Crouse being more of a bad choice; Matheson maybe as well but my problem with him is contract. It’s the post first round where our record is putrid: only Trocheck and Weegar became effective too 6 or top 4 players which is a problem for a decade

Lundell is the guy I’m least worried about the Panthers misdevelopng given his developed set of tools

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
The problem isn’t our first rounders: we typically are good with developing these guys. Since 2011 only Crouse and Borgstrom seem to be missed with Crouse being more of a bad choice; Matheson maybe as well but my problem with him is contract. It’s the post first round where our record is putrid: only Trocheck and Weegar became effective too 6 or top 4 players which is a problem for a decade

Lundell is the guy I’m least worried about the Panthers misdevelopng given his developed set of tools

I would not want Matheson at league minimum.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

It’s a good thing he’s staying in Finland for a year working on his weaknessess and be NHL ready when he joins the Panthers

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
What on earth are you talking about??!! Scoring 4 goals against SaiPa is not a big deal? Yeah right. If it’s so easy and such a meaningless thing, then why on earth we haven’t seen all Liiga top forwards having 4 goal games or at least hattrick games left
This was only 8th time in past 10 years when a player scored 4 goals in a Finnish league game.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It'd be interesting to see all 8 players and the age they did it
4 – Antti Pihlström, JYP 18.1.2011 vs KÄR (26yo)
4 – Ben Maxwell, KÄR 23.1.2014 vs PEL (25yo)
4 – Lauri Tukonen, LUK 7.2.2014 vs TAP (27yo)
4 – Eero Elo, ÄSS 1.11.2014 vs TPS (24yo)
4 – Niko Ojamäki, TAP 5.1.2019 vs KAL (23yo)
4 – Oskar Osala, KÄR 9.1.2019 vs KOO (31yo)
4 – Matti Järvinen, KAL 11.1.2020 vs JUK (30yo)
4 – Anton Lundell, IFK 24.10.2020 vs SAI (19yo)

Reactions: 16Skippy

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Panthers player scores 4 goals, board says it’s not impressive and will be a bust. I’m definitely in the right place.

It’s good for him.

But it’s a random « accomplishment » means nothing.

Not saying he’s a bust, who said that? Scoring 4 goals in a game is nice, but that doesn’t make him special.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Panthers player scores 4 goals, board says it’s not impressive and will be a bust. I’m definitely in the right place.
If, on the other hand, he were to be sent to the AHL and not do much, he’d be a star if only he got a call-up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad