Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
feels like lately Sens feel the compulsion to out-do our team.

Got a dumb GM? Nope ours is dumber

Injured a player? Nope we'll injure one more sverely
It's as if the Canucks, Ottawa and Montreal made a wager to see who could crater the deepest.

We at least seem to have had the sense to put something away for the future.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Okay, I'll rephrase the question for the benefit of our "special" posters:

WTF games were going on 3 weeks ago in Montreal that were so serious an NHL veteran would have to worry about being blindsided?

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
WTF games were going on 3 weeks ago in Montreal that were so serious an NHL veteran would have to worry about being blindsided?

Yeah it just very odd, as you know but some others may not, when an NHL player plays in a beer league during the off season they are given a really wide berth.
It must have been a freak accident, bad luck, just odd.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
@ProstheticConscience The original Ben Kuzma tweet regarding this didn't mention that he was playing in a game at all; rather that he was blindsided while 'skating in Montreal.' I don't have anything further on this, but nowhere have I heard or read of him playing in a game when it happened,

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
@ProstheticConscience The original Ben Kuzma tweet regarding this didn't mention that he was playing in a game at all; rather that he was blindsided while 'skating in Montreal.' I don't have anything further on this, but nowhere have I heard or read of him playing in a game when it happened,
:skeptic: Okay yeah, I just assumed it happened in the context of a hockey game. Silly me.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Antoine Roussel is out indefinitely with a concussion.
Roussel sustained the injury during an informal scrimmage prior to training camp. He managed to skate Friday morning under the supervision of Canucks medical staff, as he goes through concussion protocol. Sep 14 - 12:13 PM
Source: Canucks PR on Twitter

Recent news on Antoine Roussel - Vancouver Canucks - Rotoworld.com

Now if we were to somehow get wind that this concussion was sustained prior to his signing the lucrative four year contract...

That would be worth digging into.

Reactions: geebaan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Now if we were to somehow get wind that this concussion was sustained prior to his signing the lucrative four year contract...

That would be worth digging into.
Is that right? That would be GROUND BRAKING if true

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
No its not. Has been confirmed it happened 3 weeks ago and as far as i can remember, he wasnt signed after mid august. :shakehead
Yeah got it Peter but i think the poster was SUGGESTING he COULD have been having a concussion BEFORE he signed his contract and is NOW saying it only happend THREE weeks ago

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Yeah got it Peter but i think the poster was SUGGESTING he COULD have been having a concussion BEFORE he signed his contract and is NOW saying it only happend THREE weeks ago

I dont think he did but rather that it would only be worth of a story if it happened before - but there is only one person who could clarify this...

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Was anyone calling out Salo’s character or judgement when he got injured playing whiffleball?

It’s amazing how these things only start to matter when theres nothing else to talk about.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At the time we got Roussel, I mentioned that I was concerned that he was might well be a spent force. When he first came on the scene a few years ago, he was willing to go with any one and played a very gritty, balls to the wall style. He got into some terrific fights and was hard to play against. But he took a beating doing this. Last year he didn't seem, in the games I saw, as aggressive and he was more and more picking his spots for fights. His production fell as well. I thought that it looked like he was getting beaten down. Latest injury might well be a result of not just the hit in the game (or whatever it was) but a result of a accumulation of blows to the head.

Could well be the Canucks did not do their due diligence and not follow carefully enough the drop off in Roussel's physical play. Indeed, Roussel might have been damaged goods last year. If so, may have suckered our management into a contract. If so good for his agent and bad on the Canucks.

Reactions: tyhee

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just terrific. A guy signed to bring some sandpaper and grit sidelined with a concussion. I'm sorry, but if you suffer a concussion in a pickup hockey game, it's probable that there's some sort of history there to begin with. Another awful signing by Jimbo, but if Roussel ends up on LTIR it will be 'addition by subtraction'.

Loading up on veteran fourth liners for a rebuilding team is almost as bizarre as the Eriksson signing...or offering money and term to the likes of Gagner and Del Zotto. I suppose guys like Beagle, Schaller and Roussel means that players like Gaunce, Gaudette and Archibald get dispatched to the minors, but is this really an upgrade?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
At the time we got Roussel, I mentioned that I was concerned that he was might well be a spent force. When he first came on the scene a few years ago, he was willing to go with any one and played a very gritty, balls to the wall style. He got into some terrific fights and was hard to play against. But he took a beating doing this. Last year he didn't seem, in the games I saw, as aggressive and he was more and more picking his spots for fights. His production fell as well. I thought that it looked like he was getting beaten down. Latest injury might well be a result of not just the hit in the game (or whatever it was) but a result of a accumulation of blows to the head.

Canucks' management historically doesn't discount the likely value of a physical player based on his style of play, age and injury history. Some examples:

-giving Derek Dorsett, an undersized fighter, a four year contract with a 62+% raise (1.633 mill to 2.65 mill.) Dorsett's warrior-like performance made him a fan favourite but the Canucks got a total of only 105 games played for their $10.6 million expenditure on Dorsett's extension.

-trading for over the hill tough guy Brandon Prust who was already 31 years old, had missed considerable amounts of time due to injury in 2 of the preceding four seasons and in those 4 seasons had a high of 18 points

-courting 28 year old big-money and term free agent Milan Lucic who, while he'd remained effective was four years removed from his peak days with the Bruins and who had a lot of physical play behind him. Thankfully he signed his front-end loaded, bonus-laden long-term big money contract with the team that had Connor McDavid instead of choosing to play in his home town.

-Erik Gudbranson, signed to a three year extension in the spring of 2018. Gudbranson wasn't old, but had just finished consecutive seasons in which he missed substantial time due to injury with 30 and 52 games in those two seasons, 64 the season before that with the Panthers and was suffering what could have been a long-term injury at the time he was signed to that extension this past spring.

-Roussel, as you point out, a physical player who was becoming less physical and coming off a season far worse than any he'd had in the NHL. After the disastrous season he just had he was signed as a free agent by the Canucks for a 50% increase in pay over his preceding contract and a term of four years.

The Canucks also historically don't seem to discount value of older players due to the risk of age-related deterioration, though this has worked out somewhat better for them.

-Loui Eriksson, then 31 years old with an injury history coming off his highest production year in four years, signed to the same kind of front-end-loaded, bonus-laden, difficult to move long-term big money contract that Lucic had gotten from Edmonton. The Canucks got lucky in that he hasn't had major injury trouble, but his production has decreased to the extent the contract is laughable.

-Radim Vrbata, signed at the age of 33 (an age at which players are almost always losing scoring ability) for 2 seasons at $5 million per season. This worked out far better than it might have-Vrbata had one good season in Vancouver and physically was still able to do well for one season after leaving the Canucks.

-Ryan Miller, signed for three seasons at the age of 34. This worked out as well as it possibly could have-the Canucks got the player they hoped for and Miller, while no longer able to regularly play over 60 games per season, did as well as one could have hoped in resisting fatigue and injury when ridden like a 25 year old.

-Jay Beagle, a 4th line grinder, about to have his 33rd birthday and signed to a 4 year contract with a 70% pay increase, front-end loaded and bonus-laden to make it nearly buyout proof.

So we have a number of gambles on older players and a number of gambles on physical veterans. The gambles on older players have had mixed results (Miller worked out, Vrbata was fine, Eriksson has been a disaster and Beagle is yet to be determined) but the gambles (or attempted gambles) on physical players have so far uniformly worked out badly with the results of the new contracts of Gudbranson and Roussel still to be determined.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I wonder if Roussel will cut back on the fights to protect his brain from further damage.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Eriksson also had a long history with concussions.

Canucks becoming, are simply are, an ATM for aging, fringe, banged up and seemingly washed up players.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
This guy took the "Dorsett replacement" too literally.

Another washed up damaged goods guy with a mushed brain suckering Jimbo into a retirement contract. Said it from the beginning that as horrible as the Beagle signing was, it would still provide more value to the Canucks than Roussel.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This guy took the "Dorsett replacement" too literally.

Another washed up damaged goods guy with a mushed brain suckering Jimbo into a retirement contract. Said it from the beginning that as horrible as the Beagle signing was, it would still provide more value to the Canucks than Roussel.
Roussel could turn out to be a crowd favourite...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad