Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I mean...I can see the value of having a player like this, but not for the money and term Benning just shelled out.

Much like Beagle, wrong deal for the wrong guy at the wrong time.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I had no idea about his past connection to the Canucks and coming to our camp..

Been Burrows' off season workout partner for 8 yrs.

Pretty cool to hear that..

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm happy with him term whatever we needed to pay to attract guys. Roussel is a player people hate to play against and he can back it up unlike Burrows did. Mind you Burrows was way better offensively. Roussel will be 3rd liner that can give other players around him more room. I'd actually like to see him given a few shifts with Horvat and Boeser giving those two more space to work with. Contracts aside I'm liking the 3 players added today all hold their own defensively and create space for others on the team. We need to find a 2C though as Sutter is not the player to play with Pettersson on the 2nd line. Hopefully Sutter can be moved but not sure who we can trade for to be the 2C. ROR would be perfect but will cost too much we need a stop gap player with some play making ability and size to help Elias not get pushed around.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I liked Ruutu and classic jerk-era Burrows, so he may yet win me over. He is making a lot of money, but on the other hand, who would we rather spend it on? I'd prefer someone that doesn't bring a redundant skill set to our team, like years passed. Cap hit is high, but we are not in a crunch. I simply hope we move some of the other, more redundant players when the youth begins to emerge from Utica.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Lappy 2.0, should be entertaining to watch but the contract is awful, just like beagle 2 years 2 much and 1m 2 expensive

Reactions: sting101

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I'm happy with him term whatever we needed to pay to attract guys. Roussel is a player people hate to play against and he can back it up unlike Burrows did. Mind you Burrows was way better offensively. Roussel will be 3rd liner that can give other players around him more room. I'd actually like to see him given a few shifts with Horvat and Boeser giving those two more space to work with. Contracts aside I'm liking the 3 players added today all hold their own defensively and create space for others on the team. We need to find a 2C though as Sutter is not the player to play with Pettersson on the 2nd line. Hopefully Sutter can be moved but not sure who we can trade for to be the 2C. ROR would be perfect but will cost too much we need a stop gap player with some play making ability and size to help Elias not get pushed around.

Sutter + for O'Reily sure would help us.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Lmao the best video they find of him is a fight in a preseason game for the Canucks as a tryout

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was a good energy player for a few years in his mid-20s and 2014 Roussel would have been a good acquisition.

But these sort of smallish, choppy-skating energy guys tend to burn out really quickly and are rarely effective past age 30. And we saw some huge red flags last year as his production fell off a cliff and his performance level dropped. The best part of his career has already happened.

Expect we'll quickly see him regress from a 3rd line type to an unproductive, badly overpaid 4th liner (see Ott, Steve or Tootoo, Jordan).

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Lappy 2.0, should be entertaining to watch but the contract is awful, just like beagle 2 years 2 much and 1m 2 expensive
That's the thing though. Lapierre completely fell off in his late 20s. He was in Europe when he was 30. Like you say, Roussel is the same kind of player. They play a role/style that is not doable without that youthful enthusiasm, energy and abrasiveness. No father can play like that (whether you have a kid or not doesn't matter, it's about the biology, how a person generally gets more mellow as 20s go by). Roussel's effectiveness as that kind of player already dropped last year significantly, at the same time it did with Lappy. I'm expecting the next 4 years to be brutal with this player.

This guy is 29 now, and not the same player you see in these highlights or what you might remember of his past shenanigans.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Considering his poor season last year, we could have go him for less. But he's relatively young at 28 and I think he can still be a decent bottom 6 guy for the duration of his contract.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He was a good energy player for a few years in his mid-20s and 2014 Roussel would have been a good acquisition.

But these sort of smallish, choppy-skating energy guys tend to burn out really quickly and are rarely effective past age 30. And we saw some huge red flags last year as his production fell off a cliff and his performance level dropped. The best part of his career has already happened.

Expect we'll quickly see him regress from a 3rd line type to an unproductive, badly overpaid 4th liner (see Ott, Steve or Tootoo, Jordan).
this sounds about right.

yr 1 will be ok. A pain in the ass hard on the puck guy that sacrifices his body.......overpaid by a million
yr 2 he will regress probably get the Canuck injury flu and mostly be unreliable and about 2 million overpaid
yr 3 more of the same degeneration and a negative value roster blocker
yr 4 buy out candidate getting PAID

Travis Green will like having Roussel next year but i wish they just took Schaller and Beagle and left it at that.

Benning is so out to lunch. The only deals he should be doing are ones he can move in a year or 2......rinse and repeat

St.Louis Toronto Detroit and all the teams that kept their cool won the day meanwhile Jimbo can't help himself but be a mark.

oh well he certainly doesn't make us worse when it comes to competing and the season ticket holders do deserve some more stiffness.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

maybe. he's not a guy i would sign on personality alone, but i don't see him like those two. burrows without the scoring is a better comparison.

but maybe he got hitchcocked. i was looking at his hockey reference stats. he dropped off 3 minutes a game in average ice time last year pretty much consistently every game.

i guess he'll have every chance here to show whether he's a 4th liner or a 3rd liner.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
My least favourite signing of the day. Does make us stiffer to play against which is a positive, and he's not *that* old. But I prefer my agitators young and stupid.

I do think he'll become a bit of a fan favorite, at least outside the HF echo chamber. Interested in seeing how Green deploys him and who he plays with.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
maybe. he's not a guy i would sign on personality alone, but i don't see him like those two. burrows without the scoring is a better comparison.

but maybe he got hitchcocked. i was looking at his hockey reference stats. he dropped off 3 minutes a game in average ice time last year pretty much consistently every game.

i guess he'll have every chance here to show whether he's a 4th liner or a 3rd liner.

That a HHOF head coach didn't like him and dropped him down the roster to the 4th line is hardly a better argument in his favour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad