Player Discussion Antoine Roussel

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Now if we were to somehow get wind that this concussion was sustained prior to his signing the lucrative four year contract...

That would be worth digging into.

why stop there though? maybe benning is getting a kickback from the overpayment on all these contracts.

maybe francesco acquilini is telling guys who sign and come here to bag it so the team value plummets and he can buy out his brothers.

that would be worth digging into.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
why stop there though? maybe benning is getting a kickback from the overpayment on all these contracts.

maybe francesco acquilini is telling guys who sign and come here to bag it so the team value plummets and he can buy out his brothers.

that would be worth digging into.
Let's be honest it is Jim, with his negotiation skills he'd be the one talked into paying the kickbacks.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Roussel likely to end up on IR to start the season....doesn't sound like a minor concussion issue to me. I'm wondering if that's the reason his stats fell off the map last year. Everybody was blaming Hitch in Dallas, but now I'm not so sure.

Of course it wouldn't the first time Jimbo signed or traded for a guy with a lingering injury history. Derek Dorsett had a chronic neck problem that ultimately ended his NHL career prematurely. And didn't Gudbranson need surgery for a lingering wrist problem soon after we acquired him? And to add insult to injury, as I recall, Dorsett cost the Canucks a third rounder...and Gudbranson a high second and a fourth rounder.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So Roussel likely to end up on IR to start the season....doesn't sound like a minor concussion issue to me. I'm wondering if that's the reason his stats fell off the map last year. Everybody was blaming Hitch in Dallas, but now I'm not so sure.

Of course it wouldn't the first time Jimbo signed or traded for a guy with a lingering injury history. Derek Dorsett had a chronic neck problem that ultimately ended his NHL career prematurely. And didn't Gudbranson need surgery for a lingering wrist problem soon after we acquired him? And to add insult to injury, as I recall, Dorsett cost the Canucks a third rounder...and Gudbranson a high second and a fourth rounder.

You are correct on both counts - add Sutter to that list as well. He required abdominal surgery 20 games into his first season with the Canucks, an issue the team was apparently aware of and just hoped it wouldn’t need surgery...but it did.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The longer it takes to recover from a concussion you have to begin to wonder if maybe you should call it a career.

It’s now 4 weeks since he was concussed and not back practicing with the team.

I’d think long and hard about playing since $12 million can’t be enjoyed if you are on ltir with concussion symptoms like savard and others. They’d trade those millions for a normal life.

Headaches, dizziness. Sensitivity to lights not good to deal with.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
The longer it takes to recover from a concussion you have to begin to wonder if maybe you should call it a career.

I’d think long and hard about playing since $12 million can’t be enjoyed if you are on ltir with concussion symptoms like savard and others. They’d trade those millions for a normal life.

Especially when he earns his spot in the league as a physical player/agitator. He’s going to take and give a lot of hits and be expected to fight.

I was just checking in to see what was up with him because I hadn’t heard or read about him all preseason. Not a good start to a big contract.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

While he should stop fighting i don't think he has a history of concussions so quiting hockey is probably not needed.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Concerning that he is going backwards with his rehab, not a good sign. I hope he gets healthy, don't like the contract but willing to see if he can change my mind

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

If he's not ready to play he shouldn't play, and if he can't play, $12 million to be on LTIR is the best option.

You got to wonder if he has a concussion history that we simply don't know about though.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
While he should stop fighting i don't think he has a history of concussions so quiting hockey is probably not needed.

Not saying that it is the case here but one single major concussion could end a career. Another thing to keep in mind would be undiagnosed concussions which I believe are still a thing in the NHL despite their concussion protocol.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Not saying that it is the case here but one single major concussion could end a career. Another thing to keep in mind would be undiagnosed concussions which I believe are still a thing in the NHL despite their concussion protocol.

For a guy that fights as much as he does, a serious risk. He'd be best advised to be less of an agitator and just concentrate on hockey.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he's not ready to play he shouldn't play, and if he can't play, $12 million to be on LTIR is the best option.

You got to wonder if he has a concussion history that we simply don't know about though.
I agree. But there is likely a time coming up in the next couple of months when he clears the concussion protocol tests and has to decide if he wants to risk another blow to the head and the lasting impact that could have on his life. You hear all of these guys like savard and boynton say after the fact that they should have retired earlier. They can’t live a Normal life with the symptoms coming and going all the time.

It’s his life. No sympathy to guys now since they should have all the information they need to make that retirement decision or risk their long term health. This isn’t the guys from he 80’s who didn’t know. Players today know plenty about the dangers of multiple concussions.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think it's more of the Canucks protecting their investment...
Make sure Roussell's brain gets double the time needed to recover due to... 4 year commitment. Zero incentive to add him to the lineup right now..
Saves Goldy or Leipsic from going on waivers.. or Gaunce - but not all side effects will be positive .

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
At least Roussel has the locked in security of a lucrative four year deal in place while he convalesces. If it was going to happen, it couldn't have come at a more fortuitous time for him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree. But there is likely a time coming up in the next couple of months when he clears the concussion protocol tests and has to decide if he wants to risk another blow to the head and the lasting impact that could have on his life. You hear all of these guys like savard and boynton say after the fact that they should have retired earlier. They can’t live a Normal life with the symptoms coming and going all the time.

It’s his life. No sympathy to guys now since they should have all the information they need to make that retirement decision or risk their long term health. This isn’t the guys from he 80’s who didn’t know. Players today know plenty about the dangers of multiple concussions.

Well sure. Roussel has to think of his long term future. But I'll still have sympathy for him if he decides to "risk another blow to the head" like you said. He is only 28 years old and in the prime of his career. If he's not feeling well enough to play he shouldn't play. But if he is feeling well enough to play and what you're really talking about is risk assessment then well... some parents will never allow their kids to play football or hockey. Maybe take all hitting and fighting out of hockey. You still risk taking a puck to the head though.

Did Savard say he should have retired earlier? I'm not sure that he did. The way Boynton described things he was certainly risking his life to play. He said he was doing it for the paycheck but I don't understand why he is playing for a paycheck after he signed his contract with Arizona. It doesn't make much sense to me. Savard didn't come back for a paycheck. He didn't officially retire earlier because of the paycheck, which made sense to me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sure you have sympathy for the player. A concussion is probably the most serious injury a hockey player can sustain. Just look at how long it took Crosby to recover and how many games he missed, when I'm sure he was under intense pressure to come back.

No, my issue is with the Canucks hockey ops department. How can they consistently get it wrong in researching and signing UFA's? How can they constantly acquire players like Gudbranson, Dorsett, Sutter and now Roussel, with a serious injury history before they arrived?

Imagine if the human resources department of major company had the same track record of researching and hiring employees? They'd all be fired.

Reactions: Ryp37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad