Post-Game Talk: Another point!

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
Here's a few stats for yo all:

When having a lead in the third period (even strength 5v5)...

... our PDO is 96,6, which is 4th worst in the league

... our OSh% is 5,1%, which is 6th worst in the league (Min is worst with only 1,7% :amazed: and Tampa leading with 16.4%)

... our OSv% is 91,6%, which is 9th worst in the league

... our CF% is 45,7%, which is 8th best in the league

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

... our OSh% is 5,1%, which is 6th worst in the league (Min is worst with only 1,7% :amazed: and Tampa leading with 16.4%) - also, before our point-streak started it was 3%, so there's been improvement

Lines up with what I've seen. When we have a lead in the 3rd we can't buy a goal, and the other team somehow always gets a seeing-eye shot or two to go in. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

... our OSh% is 5,1%, which is 6th worst in the league (Min is worst with only 1,7% :amazed: and Tampa leading with 16.4%) - also, before our point-streak started it was 3%, so there's been improvement

All of this can be explained by going into a defensive shell and playing not to lose.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
All of this can be explained by going into a defensive shell and playing not to lose.

This^^^^^

Sure, you can say that we are blowing our third period leads because we start playing shell-hockey (even though I don't think that's true, other than in last nights game) but looking at these stats I think it's fair to say that luck plays a part too.

This is our stats since our point-streak started 16/11:

When having a lead in the third period (5v5)...

... our PDO is 90,2, which is 2nd worst in the league

... our OSh% is 1,8% :)amazed:), which is 3rd worst in the league (NJ and FLA have 0%)

... our OSv% is 88,3%, which is 6th worst in the league

... our CF% is 48,1%, which is 8th best in the league

(edit: in my other post I did write that our OSh% (with a lead in the 3rd period) before our point-streak started was 3%, which was wrong (I thought I remember reading that on twitter and didn't bother fact-checking). It was actually as high as 9.1%! From 9,1% to 1,8%.)

Last edited:

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Sure, you can say that we are blowing our third period leads because we start playing shell-hockey (even though I don't think that's true, other than in last nights game) but looking at these stats I think it's fair to say that luck plays a part too.

This is our stats since our point-streak started 16/11:

When having a lead in the third period (5v5)...

... our PDO is 90,2, which is 2nd worst in the league

... our OSh% is 1,8% :)amazed:), which is 3rd worst in the league (NJ and FLA have 0%)

... our OSv% is 88,3%, which is 6th worst in the league

... our CF% is 48,1%, which is 8th best in the league

(edit: in my other post I did write that our OSh% (with a lead in the 3rd period) before our point-streak started was 3%, which was wrong (I thought I remember reading that on twitter and didn't bother fact-checking). It was actually as high as 9.1%! From 9,1% to 1,8%.)

Holy crap, that OSh%.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Lines up with what I've seen. When we have a lead in the 3rd we can't buy a goal, and the other team somehow always gets a seeing-eye shot or two to go in. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Considering we're 19th in the league goals scored and 14th in goals against, and our special team's play hasn't been special enough to radically alter those numbers (middle of the pack on both the PK and PP), and I'd be shocked if we had any sort of good save/shooting percentage numbers. Try to parse the numbers any way you want, but if you're not scoring goals, it's unlikely your shooting percentage is going to be all that hot.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Our 2nd period is the best, our 3rd period sucks. And our 1st is alright. Thats how it has been for like 5/10 years lol

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Pretty much this. We just have to learn to be better on those situations. When you don't lead games, you can't practise these situations. It better always to lead and then get an experiment of it. Get better defence there, and you start to be a contender.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Pretty much this. We just have to learn to be better on those situations. When you don't lead games, you can't practise these situations. It better always to lead and then get an experiment of it. Get better defence there, and you start to be a contender.

This has been happening for years. I'm pretty sure the team just cant do it.

Good thing we have a Clutch goalie in Petr the Great

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Our 2nd period is the best, our 3rd period sucks. And our 1st is alright. Thats how it has been for like 5/10 years lol
And that's MUCH better than sucking in 1st and 2nd periods and being great in the 3rd. I'd rather play with a lead in most games and sometimes lose that lead, instead of trying for comeback.

Of course what I think this board wants is 60 minutes of domination in every game, but no team does that.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Right here, it barely works yet teams still try to play that way!

When you're ahead in the late part of the 3rd, do you want Brendan Smith trying to pinch? Hell no. If he did and gave up an odd man rush, we'd crucify him for it and rightly so. Do we want all three forwards below their goal line mucking around on the boards? No, keep a guy back. If he goes in and gets caught, leaving a 3 on 2 rush, we'd all pile on him too.

It's just a million decisions to stay on the right side of the puck that add up to less pressure.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
When you're ahead in the late part of the 3rd, do you want Brendan Smith trying to pinch? Hell no. If he did and gave up an odd man rush, we'd crucify him for it and rightly so. Do we want all three forwards below their goal line mucking around on the boards? No, keep a guy back. If he goes in and gets caught, leaving a 3 on 2 rush, we'd all pile on him too.

It's just a million decisions to stay on the right side of the puck that add up to less pressure.

Well maybe instead of trying to hold a 2-1 lead by playing safe, you go for the win by winning 3-1.

Would you make mistakes and give up a goal from time to time? Absolutely. Would we lose more leads than we already currently have been in recent years? It's hard to imagine.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
sure, you can say that we are blowing our third period leads because we start playing shell-hockey (even though i don't think that's true, other than in last nights game) but looking at these stats i think it's fair to say that luck plays a part too.

this is our stats since our point-streak started 16/11:

when having a lead in the third period (5v5)...

... Our pdo is 90,2, which is 2nd worst in the league

... Our osh% is 1,8% :)amazed:), which is 3rd worst in the league (nj and fla have 0%)

... Our osv% is 88,3%, which is 6th worst in the league

... Our cf% is 48,1%, which is 8th best in the league

(edit: In my other post i did write that our osh% (with a lead in the 3rd period) before our point-streak started was 3%, which was wrong (i thought i remember reading that on twitter and didn't bother fact-checking). It was actually as high as 9.1%! from 9,1% to 1,8%.)

damn you jimmy howard!!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I got crucified for posting the same thing.

Guy is just going through the motions at this point.

I don't think he's going through the motions; I think he just looks slow and weak. He doesn't have those explosive bursts in his skating that we're accustomed to. That's why he can't gain separation like we're used to seeing when he has the puck and also why he's not been himself in the backcheck/takeaway department.

Worst cast scenario: this is realistically him at his current age and after multiple injuries. He would need two speedy wingers to make up for his lost speed (like a Helm and Tatar/Nyquist.) Richards is slow too so that line is going to struggle at times too.

Best case scenario: he's dealing with what most players go through when they return to playing after a long absence: lost the initial adrenaline carrying him for a while and now has to get back into game shape on a consistent basis. Helm missed the beginning of the season and took quite a while to finally look like himself again. Let's hope Datsyuk returns to form as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Can't wait when Datsyuk will get on his form when he has been the best player on the ice since he returned.

At first he was creating most scoring attempts by amount (thanks to high minutes)
Recently, he has been creating them most per ice-time.

And not in form, okay? I'll take it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

In the big picture yes, but didn't feel that way against NJ. First they get a knuckle to go in. Prior to the second goal there was back and forth action for probably a good 5-6 minutes without a whistle, then a PP(sole one of the period) with a non-screened shot that has to be saved. No real pressure prior to the any of the goals, NJ had 9 shots in the 3rd chasing a 2 goal deficit, so hardly a flurry. Felt more like a hockey-god thing.

Agree about Datsyuk talk, he hasn't looked himself since returning. Z hasn't looked quite that good either. Both are being judged on what they produce, not if they look good or whatever. 0.85+ ppg is required. Doing well without them playing at their top is mostly a good thing though, it's just December.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
In the big picture yes, but didn't feel that way against NJ. First they get a knuckle to go in. Prior to the second goal there was back and forth action for probably a good 5-6 minutes without a whistle, then a PP(sole one of the period) with a non-screened shot that has to be saved. No real pressure prior to the any of the goals, NJ had 9 shots in the 3rd chasing a 2 goal deficit, so hardly a flurry. Felt more like a hockey-god thing.

Agree about Datsyuk talk, he hasn't looked himself since returning. Z hasn't looked quite that good either. Both are being judged on what they produce, not if they look good or whatever. 0.85+ ppg is required. Doing well without them playing at their top is mostly a good thing though, it's just December.

yep, just have to hope that it's a temporary vet thing and not a, "wow, they got old fast" in April thing.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Can't wait when Datsyuk will get on his form when he has been the best player on the ice since he returned.

At first he was creating most scoring attempts by amount (thanks to high minutes)
Recently, he has been creating them most per ice-time.

And not in form, okay? I'll take it.

He has 2 goals and 7 points in 15 games, corsi numbers aren't producing right now. We have a very mediocre offense and struggle to score goals. We need Datsyuk and Z to be better.

Actual Thought*

yep, just have to hope that it's a temporary vet thing and not a, "wow, they got old fast" in April thing.

Coming off an unhealthy offseason I don't know why anyone would expect him to be at peak performance. I expect he will get worse as the season wears on. Just like Z last year.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He has 2 goals and 7 points in 15 games, corsi numbers aren't producing right now. We have a very mediocre offense and struggle to score goals. We need Datsyuk and Z to be better.

Would help if he had better wingers.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Coming off an unhealthy offseason I don't know why anyone would expect him to be at peak performance. I expect he will get worse as the season wears on. Just like Z last year.

I'm not sure you have to even take his offseason into account. When was the last time both guys were healthy and effective to start the playoffs? When was the last time both guys remained healthy and productive throughout a playoff run? It's been awhile, and every year is probably a bigger question mark (though it seems to have always been a question mark with Datsyuk). If we want to make a serious run, we need the kids to step up to compensate for Z&D's slipping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad