Post-Game Talk: Another point!

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I thought Jimmy played better tonight than Mrazek played last night vs Montreal but sometimes the bounces go your way and other times you fall down and surrender a bunch of breakaways.

I'll take the point and the 4 out of 6 in a 3 game in 4 night scenario.

Hunting Bow*

The breakaway saved us the agony of a shootout. But it was consistent with a Howard shootout. He didn't touch it either.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
This team....

Hold a lead.

NJ did look better but can you say "game management", penalty on a blown offside, allowing that goal to stand...if a team is up by one late in the third you can guarantee a PP for the trailing team.

Beat Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Talent means jack **** when you have nothing left in the tank to compete. If I where financially viable enough to be betting on games. Everyday, all day, and twice on Sundays I would put my money on any team facing a opponent on there 3rd in 4 as long as the other team wasn't in a 3rd in 4 as well. And I would take down 70-80% of those bets no questions asked.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
I'm happy with 4 out of 6 possible points, but not quite as happy with how they played. Getting out-shot 81-104 in these three games. Not good, not good.

Next games:
Buffalo
Canucks
Flames

All very winnable, right? Lets hope their point streak continues for a few more games. Cheers, y'all

Aug 6, 2012
How's Larkin been playing lately? How'd he look tonight?

Hasn't been as impactful but still good. His line hasn't been the best the past two games, but he has hit the post a few times and created plenty of chances. Still does all of the little things temendously.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm happy with 4 out of 6 possible points, but not quite as happy with how they played. Getting out-shot 81-104 in these three games. Not good, not good.

Next games:
Buffalo
Canucks
Flames

All very winnable, right? Lets hope their point streak continues for a few more games. Cheers, y'all

Thanks for reminding us, that schedule is encouraging. :)

Solid game from the Wings, it felt great when we had a 2 goal lead. There was some annoying errors from the guys but I'd say less frustrating than the performance vs. Montreal. That was almost impossible to watch. Blown passes, off-sides, giveaways, poor decision making too often. Tonight was slightly better.

So why does Datsyuk get a free pass from criticism? Because he's a hockey phenom who has been our best player for years. He's the magic-man and also our most veteran player. To think of all his plays with Z, Lidstrom, etc. etc. and last second goals throughout the years...man it won't ever be the same when he's gone. I'm not talking about the Wings I'm saying the game of hockey! Pavel had 0 off-season, training camp, or pre-season games. Then he missed the 1st 15 games. His presence helps the team immensely but it's going to take him more time to get fully up to speed. The little things he's doing though, OMG what a treat to watch. As of now I will agree he could use some more help.

Darren Helm is playing like a wild man but that 2nd line got hemmed in waaay too much this game, it was pathetic. I think Blashill could consider shaking up the 2nd and 3rd lines after tonight.

As Bench said we expect (and need) Gus and Tats to be our best players. They did come through with goals each but it weird when they get sort of quiet like a few of the games recently. They'll get pushed to the outside or their quirky flip passes get intercepted some games more than others. They are amazing but need to develop the consistency to be game changers night in night out, real #1/#2 guys.

Interesting the last two games Glendening had 10 minutes TOI and tonight 12. I think that's a positive change contributing to the point streak. It shows also the Wings are taking less penalties something they said they wanted to control.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Team looked utterly goosed any time the Devils got a shot from the point, genuinely expected a goal every time, whatever about Smith and OT, they did so well up to the 2nd intermission, what the hell happened in the 3rd? Devils didn't exactly step up a level, really annoying that loss.
3 games in 4 nights.
So many mixed feelings with this "streak". Giving up a 2 goal lead is going to happen on occasion. But to NJ? They were totally playing for the shootout knowing Jimmy's history. Who wins a 3 on 3 playing 2 D the entire time?
It was the funniest and weirdest thing I have seen in a while. :laugh: They put 2 Dmen and 1 forward in ot :laugh::laugh:
And they win.
All I can think about is NJ's overtime philosophy. Hilarious that it's that organization that plays that passive. Seriously, who in the world dumps the puck in to make a change in 3-on-3? It really pisses me off that they're 5-1 now in OT. I wish they were 0-6.
Great point. But it has its price. Right before the game they showed the standings, and the left side was almost empety.
Massively outshot, yet people still blame Howard...

Jimmy played good. The boys were gassed in the 3rd and hung him out to dry. And then there's 3 on 3, which is a coin toss essentially.
Jimmy played very good, almost great.
1st goal, he had no chance, was a bit screened, but the guy fanned on the puck and it fooled Howard.
2nd was stoppable, it was not deflected and he was touched after the puck passed him.
3rd, you can't blame your goalie on a breakaway, but Howard looked strange on that goal. He allowed that goal on purpose just to avoid the SO.:laugh:

Sure - Smith blew it on the breakaway, Ericsson gave up the blue line over and over, outlets got knocked down, passes didnt connect and everyone looked tired. Because they were. They played last night. Blash also put them into lead protection/ dump in mode which imo is a bad thing because this team doesn't ever really play well backing up. Howie still has to defend a breakaway better and stop long shots he sees. But again, all in all, one point on the second of two nights is always a good outcome.
Smith and Howard did that on purpose, did not want SOs.:laugh:
Radio crew said it was deflected?
But it wasn't.
Haters gonna hate. I called this in the afternoon. I could tell in the first period team was gassed to all hell. Completely on E. Not surprised at all. Got that point though...
That's all about the game, and njd knew it and played accordingly.
Hasn't been as impactful but still good. His line hasn't been the best the past two games, but he has hit the post a few times and created plenty of chances. Still does all of the little things temendously.

That shot was amazing.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Schedule is pretty loose the rest of december, next week only games on Monday and Friday.. lots of time to practice! and rest up, they should have a lot of energy after christmas

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I'm still trying to figure out how we gave up 38 shots to a team that avg 25 shots a game, whose 30th in the league!!!!:help::shakehead

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'm still trying to figure out how we gave up 38 shots to a team that avg 25 shots a game, whose 30th in the league!!!!:help::shakehead

Washington outshot us by a huge margin too. The wings haven't been playing well rounded recently

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Thanks for reminding us, that schedule is encouraging. :)

Solid game from the Wings, it felt great when we had a 2 goal lead. There was some annoying errors from the guys but I'd say less frustrating than the performance vs. Montreal. That was almost impossible to watch. Blown passes, off-sides, giveaways, poor decision making too often. Tonight was slightly better.

So why does Datsyuk get a free pass from criticism? Because he's a hockey phenom who has been our best player for years. He's the magic-man and also our most veteran player. To think of all his plays with Z, Lidstrom, etc. etc. and last second goals throughout the years...man it won't ever be the same when he's gone. I'm not talking about the Wings I'm saying the game of hockey! Pavel had 0 off-season, training camp, or pre-season games. Then he missed the 1st 15 games. His presence helps the team immensely but it's going to take him more time to get fully up to speed. The little things he's doing though, OMG what a treat to watch. As of now I will agree he could use some more help.

Darren Helm is playing like a wild man but that 2nd line got hemmed in waaay too much this game, it was pathetic. I think Blashill could consider shaking up the 2nd and 3rd lines after tonight.

As Bench said we expect (and need) Gus and Tats to be our best players. They did come through with goals each but it weird when they get sort of quiet like a few of the games recently. They'll get pushed to the outside or their quirky flip passes get intercepted some games more than others. They are amazing but need to develop the consistency to be game changers night in night out, real #1/#2 guys.

Interesting the last two games Glendening had 10 minutes TOI and tonight 12. I think that's a positive change contributing to the point streak. It shows also the Wings are taking less penalties something they said they wanted to control.

Thank you for explaining a whole hell of a lot more cordially than I could why Dats doesn't get piled on. At best we are looking at a production standpoint of Z last year for him this year. With a addition that he has always been **** on when it comes to quality of linemates compared to Z.

But if he hits a wall in March/April I expect him to get **** for it as well. Just like Z did last year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Back to back. Not the best game but we keep picking up points. Next 4 games are relatively easy and at home, we have set ourselves up for really being in a good position at christmas.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Just finished watching the game. Very meh.

DeKeyser played 5 more minutes than Kronwall. Green only payed 16 mins. Odd stuff.

Datsyuk looks indifferent. Zetterberg looks slow. Jurco played 7:21 and I don't recall a second of it.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Just finished watching the game. Very meh.

DeKeyser played 5 more minutes than Kronwall. Green only payed 16 mins. Odd stuff.

Datsyuk looks indifferent. Zetterberg looks slow. Jurco played 7:21 and I don't recall a second of it.

Maybe the older guys were tired so didn't play as much. 3 games in 4 nights and on the 2nd half of a back to back.

muchbetterthanlada

Oct 24, 2015
tried counting the number of passes Pav got on the tape from Helm and Richards, but they were so few and far between that i gave up... maybe if he disguised himself as the end boards they would start giving him the puck.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
For as much as things are different and better (in certain areas) from the previous coach to the new ones. All of the talk from last game about how refreshing it was to see the Wings attack in the 3rd, we still have a major issue of 3rd period collapses. I haven't looked back at the data, but 3rd period collapses have been an issue for a long time and it goes way beyond coaching.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
All of the talk from last game about how refreshing it was to see the Wings attack in the 3rd, we still have a major issue of 3rd period collapses.

Devils scored two very lucky goals. I don't know much I'd read into that and call it a "collapse."

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And if it were just one game, I'd agree with you. We've given up way too many 3rd period leads over the last handful of years.

Comebacks are quite common in the league now. The Wings have had several themselves this season. Did you see the Nashville of Montreal game? Do we have any data that shows the Red Wings are amoungst the worst teams in the league with surreduring leads in the 3rd?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Comebacks are quite common in the league now. The Wings have had several themselves this season. Did you see the Nashville of Montreal game? Do we have any data that shows the Red Wings are amoungst the worst teams in the league with surreduring leads in the 3rd?

No, but that doesn't excuse a team for giving up 3rd period leads. That's like saying we shouldn't aspire to win the Stanley Cup because 99% of the teams fail to win the Stanley Cup every year.

The Wings need to get better at locking down leads, that's what the great teams do. You don't getter better by accepting bad play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad