Confirmed with Link: Andrew Shaw traded to Chicago

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
This isn't 2008. He's not playing 8 minutes a game with Georges Laraque on his wing.

The difference between 4th line TOI and 2nd line TOI is 1-2 minutes a game. He might even play more than some of our 2nd liners if he's getting both 2nd unit PP and PK time.

You really think that extra 1 minute of ice time is worth not developing him at his natural position?
I think Poehling is plan C. Duschesne was A, and Aho B.
Poehling will be up to fill Shaw’s roster spot.
They’re going to spend the money on a left D at this point.
I’m not sad about Shaw. He’s one good tap away from being done. I’m sure that’s why they didn’t get more for him.

Jul 6, 2016
I think Poehling is plan C. Duschesne was A, and Aho B.
Poehling will be up to fill Shaw’s roster spot.
They’re going to spend the money on a left D at this point.
I’m not sad about Shaw. He’s one good tap away from being done. I’m sure that’s why they didn’t get more for him.

Poehling gonna play center. He's a left shooting forward on top of that.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I didn’t like the Shaw deal (timing and value) and I think we gave him too much money and term...

But we have to live with those decision and manage our assets. I have no issue trading Shaw but If we paid two 2nd rd for the right to Shaw has a RFA when Chicago had to move him for cap reason. Why would we take any less (especially for the same team), when he is signed and just had is best season and we don’t need to move him, this is compounded by the fact that after LD RW is probably our weakest position and with the size our FW we just loss a lot of toughness, We didn’t need to clear cap space and the cap space isn’t being used...

So I don’t know why we should be happy about the move it is poor asset management and it make the initial deal look even worst.

I suggest you look up the sunk cost fallacy.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I suggest you look up the sunk cost fallacy.
I understand the concept... When you manage your asset sometime you have to cut your lost but it not like Shaw was draging the team down he had is best season, the timing of the trade is also puzzling since we didn’t sign anyone and we already had cap space to sign our targets. The team isn’t any better today without Shaw so either MB payed to much or sold too low or both either way the issue is within MB control and Chicago has benefited from both move.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think we got rid of him at the perfect time in terms of getting value back for him. Still will always stink that it cost us the pick that landed Debrincat.

That said we will need someone to replace his offense and tough matchups/minutes. Not saying we're doomed or anything without him but someone's gotta step up in minutes and responsibilities on the right side, and everyone has to step up to make up for the 50 points.

We also need to find a guy that works with Domi now, Shaw and Domi were one of my favourite pairings to watch last year.

Reactions: calder candidate

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I understand the concept... When you manage your asset sometime you have to cut your lost but it not like Shaw was draging the team down he had is best season, the timing of the trade is also puzzling since we didn’t sign anyone and we already had cap space to sign our targets. The team isn’t any better today without Shaw so either MB payed to much or sold too low or both either way the issue is within MB control and Chicago has benefited from both move.
Major concussion concerns with Shaw. I bet he doesn’t play anywhere near a full season.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Head scratching really... why not hold onto him and cross your fingers that he replicates last years performance? If we suck at the trade deadline, Habs could have *maybe* got a 1st round pick from a contender. I'd have preferred to take that chance than bet on him being at max. trade value right now.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Broken record but I dont know why Shaw wasnt used to try to get a D. The Isles certainly need a RW and the Flyers would have a spot in the top 9 for him.

We have lots of Cap space, which has value that could have been used for an asset to use in such a deal.

I dont suggest a GM have only one kind of transaction in mind, but the D position should have taken priority, not adding a centre. MB needs to get something done here.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I know it's not a popular point of view around here... but players are human. How do you guys think the players will feel? Shaw was a very respected figure in the Habs lockerroom. Unanimously. How will they react now that he was sacrificed without any viable reason. You think the guys are pumped up to get the season started now? That they cannot wait to get going?

They gave everything they had last season, and just fell short. And all a sudden, they lose appreciated, valuable teammates, and they're going to feel like they have a chance?

Lol... this season is going to be such a disaster. And I can't wait. I just hope we get massacred in the first 10 games. The earliest Bergevin is fired the better.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
People sure have a different memory of Shaw than I do. Posters here railed against him constantly. He rebounded a bit last year but no team was trading a first for him.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
When the games get physical in the playoffs, who’s gonna step up and play that game with the loss of Shaw? (And Deslauriers and Benn)

Domi & Weber. Gallagher will try also.

That’s it. Something needs to be done to addres that for sure.

See Cup winning teams of last two years before telling me “the game is changed, you don’t need that type”.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
A couple of points regarding the Shaw trade:

1. The arguments that he had good chemistry with Domi has probably more to do with the fact that Domi is there than Shaw. Drouin also had good chemistry with Domi. I bet the guy who is going to replace Shaw on that line with Domi will also have good chemistry with him...

2. We can't have it all. Shaw would likely have helped us this year, but we have young star prospects that need to play to get better. Are we going to tell Poehling to go spend some time in the AHL when he was the MVP of the U20, and he scores three goals in his first game in the league playing less than 15 minutes? Are we going to tell the MVP of the OHL playoffs that he is not ready to play in the NHL? What Suzuki did in term of impact on the playoff games was similar to what current star players in the league did when they played in the OHL playoffs. I am on the wrong side of 40 and I can't remember the last time we had such exciting prospects in the organization, at every position. However, I do remember many fans complaining in the past that we are not giving enough playing time and responsibilities to our young players. It looks like the Habs are willing to do this now, at least with KK, Poehling, Suzuki, and probably Caufield next year. Why not give this strategy a chance? We have a good idea of what Shaw would have provided. We might be pleasantry surprised by what Suzuki and Poehling can provide. We had the worst powerplay in the league last year. I would think that Suzuki will have a greater impact on the PP than Shaw ever will.

3. If Suzuki or Poehling do not adequately replace Shaw this year (which I doubt), you can bet that Caufield will next year. Caufield is a can't miss prospects IMO. He will be a right-handed scoring machine on the top 6 by the end of next season (2020-2021).

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
When the games get physical in the playoffs, who’s gonna step up and play that game with the loss of Shaw? (And Deslauriers and Benn)

Domi & Weber. Gallagher will try also.

That’s it. Something needs to be done to addres that for sure.

See Cup winning teams of last two years before telling me “the game is changed, you don’t need that type”.

Armia, Lehkonen, Poehling, Danault and Tatar do not strike me as players that will be intimidated in the playoffs.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
With shaw gone, it clears up a top 9 spot for hudon if we bring him back.

It could also be a spot for puljujarvi if we trade for him

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd say the same about 8 million for Radulov.

The reality is though, if we had Radulov, and didn't do the unintentional tank, we probably don't get KK.

Was Price not hurt that year also? I never understood these hypothetical scenarios based on one player when there are usually several other factors at play for a team to end up with a high first round pick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Trade was not a hockey trade. Shaw wanted to leave. It's as clear as day. Guy missed Chitown and did not like the scrutiny. He also complained about the taxes at least 2-3 times publicly in interviews. He was talking about hockey players in general but you coule sense he was really talking about himself.

Why was he complaining about taxes? I read on HF that taxes don’t matter since there are vehicles to help you attain a lower tax bite.

If Shaw was still complaining about taxes, then the problem is real.

Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
With shaw gone, it clears up a top 9 spot for hudon if we bring him back.

It could also be a spot for puljujarvi if we trade for him

Make no mistake about this, and im not joking :

The space (well THAT particular space) was made for Jordan Weal, and for the millionth time...dont sleep on this guy ...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Was Price not hurt that year also? I never understood these hypothetical scenarios based on one player when there are usually several other factors at play for a team to end up with a high first round pick.

No actually. If i recall correctly Price was not hurt, he just sucked really badly.

But Shea Weber was hurt, we let Markov walk also, we traded Sergachev for Drouin and played him at center, and we brought in Alzner, Schlemko, Streit, and Hemsky to replace the departed. It was an all around disaster. MB didn't predict the NHL was going towards more speed and youth. But he did, to his credit, drastically change the following year (this past season).

But the year before many of us talked about how we shuttered to think of this team without Radulov. Many nights he put the offense and the tram on his back.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I didn’t mean Shaw’s actual position. Players move around. And it’s not likely that they’d use a rookie and KK at centre this year.
We still need a winger if Lehkonen ends up playing with Domi. We have Byron, Armia and Weal to play on Kotkaniemi's and Poehling's lines, but no one else. Unless Thompson takes the #4C spot and Poehling plays LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad