Confirmed with Link: Andrew Shaw traded to Chicago

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No. And he doesn't need to, really.

I was in favor of moving Shaw. I would like to know MB's thinking. But he'll play his cards close to his chest when he sees fit. He never really said precisely why he traded PK. He said there were things he'll keep inside his circle of decision makers.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I was in favor of moving Shaw. I would like to know MB's thinking. But he'll play his cards close to his chest when he sees fit. He never really said precisely why he traded PK. He said there were things he'll keep inside his circle of decision makers.

We can only surmise, but I think MB traded Shaw at a great moment, when the guy's value is high. And when you factor in his recent injury issues, getting nearly the same return you gave up years prior was a smart move.

He had given up two 2nd Round Picks for a healthy 24-year old and two-time Stanley Cup Champion Shaw and he got a 2nd and a 3rd for a 27-year old riddled with injuries Shaw.

Apparently, Chicago was asking about Shaw around the draft and Habs weren't interested in moving him. A week later with free agency, they agreed to move him. Either they were able to get raise his price or they had other plans to use that freed up cap space, which could be the failed offer sheet.

Jul 6, 2016
We can only surmise, but I think MB traded Shaw at a great moment, when the guy's value is high. And when you factor in his recent injury issues, getting nearly the same return you gave up years prior was a smart move.

He had given up two 2nd Round Picks for a healthy 24-year old and two-time Stanley Cup Champion Shaw and he got a 2nd and a 3rd for a 27-year old riddled with injuries Shaw.

Apparently, Chicago was asking about Shaw around the draft and Habs weren't interested in moving him. A week later with free agency, they agreed to move him. Either they were able to get raise his price or they had other plans to use that freed up cap space, which could be the failed offer sheet.

That's pretty much "it".

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It remains to be see if we got almost the same return. If it's a late 2nd, then that late 2nd plus the 3rd is worth one of the two early 2nds (in a great draft where Timmins had his eye on Samuel Girard) we gave up...

And I hope it wasn't to free up cap space for Duchene or a low ball Aho offer sheet..

And I'll say it: the big UFA's and RFA's were always low probability signings. But PK was available for the assets we could have gotten for Shaw and Byron. That was a sure way to land an elite player, with only 3 years on his deal in case it doesn't work out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad