Confirmed with Link: Andrew Shaw traded to Chicago

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Habs are younger nd thy have a raft of prospects. The Leafs are frustrated and the Bruins are getting old. The only rival that concerns me is Florida.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Trade was not a hockey trade. Shaw wanted to leave. It's as clear as day. Guy missed Chitown and did not like the scrutiny. He also complained about the taxes at least 2-3 times publicly in interviews. He was talking about hockey players in general but you coule sense he was really talking about himself.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
The opportunity has been created more for Suzuki than Weal, but Weal could be the one running with it.

It's not a huge stretch to extrapolate Weal's production since his arrival into enough points to mitigate Shaw's departure. We then have to replace Weal's contribution lower down the order.

f*** me do we need a genuine top line RW. Oh, I see Caulfield is still on the board at #15........

Speaking of our RW need, f*** the Rags too. All this talk of our desperation to get a high end LD - I'd argue we need a high end winger over our current crop of great second liners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 6, 2016
Poehling was already on the roster, regardless of Shaw. They will want him to be a center IMO, starting on the fourth line between Weal and Byron. Suzuki is the one that will play wing with Domi and Lehkonen, replacing Shaw.

Suzuki is not ready for NHL game. Peohling : Who knows ?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Poehling was already on the roster, regardless of Shaw. They will want him to be a center IMO, starting on the fourth line between Weal and Byron. Suzuki is the one that will play wing with Domi and Lehkonen, replacing Shaw.
They’re not keeping Poehling in Montreal to play him 4th line minutes. He’ll be much better served by playing as a winger on the top-6.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
They’re not keeping Poehling in Montreal to play him 4th line minutes. He’ll be much better served by playing as a winger on the top-6.

I personally have no issue with:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Domi
Byron/Armia - Poehling - Lekhonen
Armia/Byron - Evans - Weal

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Reilly - Juulsen
Folin

It's not perfect but it let's our young players play with more experienced players on all lines. Still not convinced we make the playoffs but an entertaining season and a chance at a lottery pick could be nice...

Especially while Suzuki,Caufield,Romanov and company get ready for the NHL.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Back to disliking Bergevin for giving Andrew Shaw away (and sending a bogus/false hope/false effort/half-*** Offer Sheet for AHO). I'm a huge Andrew Shaw fan...cheap $3.9mil/yr for another three seasons...playoff warrior...this team doesn't want to make the playoffs AND doesn't like to keep its playoff warriors (Radulov, PK Subban, Kovalev, Shaw, etc). What a joke (the lack of grit/heart on this team for playoffs and then get rid of Shaw...we need more Shaw, not less).

Poehling may end up being a playoff warrior no.1 center...for another team...since Bergevin will do everything to ruin or get rid of our playoff warriors. The Habs have to do everything they can to make sure Poehling is a CENTER, and not a winger. He's a center...we've needed solid centers for awhile...Poehling to the rescue, but the Habs will find a way to force a solid center into a winger. Poehling has got to be a center. Period. (Unless it is Poehling who insists on being a winger!, but I doubt that!).

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Back to disliking Bergevin for giving Andrew Shaw away (and sending a bogus/false hope/false effort/half-*** Offer Sheet for AHO). I'm a huge Andrew Shaw fan...cheap $3.9mil/yr for another three seasons...playoff warrior...this team doesn't want to make the playoffs AND doesn't like to keep its playoff warriors (Radulov, PK Subban, Kovalev, Shaw, etc). What a joke (the lack of grit/heart on this team for playoffs and then get rid of Shaw...we need more Shaw, not less).

Poehling may end up being a playoff warrior no.1 center...for another team...since Bergevin will do everything to ruin or get rid of our playoff warriors. The Habs have to do everything they can to make sure Poehling is a CENTER, and not a winger. He's a center...we've needed solid centers for awhile...Poehling to the rescue, but the Habs will find a way to force a solid center into a winger. Poehling has got to be a center. Period. (Unless it is Poehling who insists on being a winger!, but I doubt that!).

Wow I havent seen you post in a long time man. You sure love these playoff warriors dont you haha.

Reactions: Simarino

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Wow I havent seen you post in a long time man. You sure love these playoff warriors dont you haha.

Haha!! I sure do!! I want all of us Hab fans to love our playoff warriors/winners since we need lots of them to win Cup #25!!
(and didn't post in awhile 'cause I lost my passwords for my Mr.Hab, so I had to start a new one with "Mister Hab" instead!!haha!!).

I'm pumped with our youth, but I hope everything falls into the right places (ex: Poehling becoming a solid #1-2 center for us, and not pushed to the wing, etc...if it's wing for now I really hope that it's temporary only 'cause we might have ourselves a major warrior/winner CENTER in Poehling).

Poehling, Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Brook, Suzuki, Struble, Romanov, Primeau...what's not to like?!

Cheers!!

p.s.: and good to hear from you, too! I miss posting here amongnst Hab fans...I'll just try not to bold so much since some Hab fans get so angry with that!!haha!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA

CJ plays four lines fairly equally. Poehling will also get PK and some PP times, so he will get decent minutes even if he is centering Byron and Weal.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Normally I would be concerned as well but let’s first try to make the playoffs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
CJ plays four lines fairly equally. Poehling will also get PK and some PP times, so he will get decent minutes even if he is centering Byron and Weal.

I really don't know where Byron fits on this team. Even on the fourth line, we need more size than that on the wings!

I mean, he fits with Danault. But the current Danault line ain't getting broken up.

Reactions: LaP

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Haha!! I sure do!! I want all of us Hab fans to love our playoff warriors/winners since we need lots of them to win Cup #25!!
(and didn't post in awhile 'cause I lost my passwords for my Mr.Hab, so I had to start a new one with "Mister Hab" instead!!haha!!).

I'm pumped with our youth, but I hope everything falls into the right places (ex: Poehling becoming a solid #1-2 center for us, and not pushed to the wing, etc...if it's wing for now I really hope that it's temporary only 'cause we might have ourselves a major warrior/winner CENTER in Poehling).

Poehling, Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Brook, Suzuki, Struble, Romanov, Primeau...what's not to like?!

Cheers!!

p.s.: and good to hear from you, too! I miss posting here amongnst Hab fans...I'll just try not to bold so much since some Hab fans get so angry with that!!haha!!

Post in the manner you want, pal! And yes, cant wait to see Domi and co. get their first taste of playoffs action.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He won't be centering Byron though. Unless we replace Shaw, Byron's gonna play higher up the lineup. Which is a shame, I think he'd be a good fit with Poehling.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. Just cause you have to list 4 lines one after another, it don't mean the 4th listed line does not play more minutes than the 3rd listed line on any given night. Context matters and our forward group is built to roll lines and the skilled guys gets more ice time on the PP while others get ice time on the PK.

I think some fans are trying to push up Kotkaniemi and Poehling in the line-up a bit too much. There is no locked in formula here on their development. They have to earn their spots and we are not a rebuilding team where we don't care if we make the playoffs.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Everyone has been complaining about how Shaw was overpaid, how Shaw was expensive to aquire, etc.

Now that he is gone, everyone is complaining again.

This. Is. Funny.
Did people complain about his contract last season? He had 47 pts in 63 games which is a 61 pt pace over 82 games. Not bad for 3.9M.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Shaw was sacrificed for nothing it seems.

We should of worked out the deal to be made after July 1st but maybe the Blackhawks said we need to do it now or we might not be able to do it later. Very curious to see how he does in his prime years. The trade return is decent but what if he puts up 55-60 pts with 20+ goals moving forward?

The other concern I have is he worked very well with Domi and not sure I would of messed with this. We will see who Domi plays with now.

I'm OK with trading Shaw, my value was two 2nd's and a B prospect so I have that return on the slightly low side. The thing with our roster is we have to decide who is part of our team and who is not moving forward cause those prospects will push for spots. I guess we unloaded Shaw now for a decent return cause we were afraid he might be harder to move later if his production dropped?

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
We had Shaw for his 25, 26, 27 year old season. Forwards, particularly pedestrian forwards, and that is what Andrew Shaw is, tend to peak at 23 and drop off at 28. He just had a season in which he outperformed xG by 7.5 percentage points. He had a bloated on-ice shooting% of 11.48, that's 3rd highest in the league amongst players who played at least half a season. He's got a history of injury, which tends to get worse, not better, as you age. This is a textbook example of selling high

We bought a truck, drove it for all it was worth, got an inspection that suggests there's a whole lot of repairs to be done, and then sold it back to the dealership for the exact cost that we paid for it three years ago

That's a win.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Everyone has been complaining about how Shaw was overpaid, how Shaw was expensive to aquire, etc.

Now that he is gone, everyone is complaining again.

This. Is. Funny.

<==========
Not this guy
<==========

Always loved what Shaw brought to the team. And his contract was getting increasingly convenient. 3.9M for a player like his is now completely coherent.
Now he's gone for what? Not even to acquire a LHD, but to get a 2nd round pick that we'll likely trade down to acquire an extra 3rd round pick. Which will be used to draft a young Swede with big thighs that Timmins sees in his dreams like Collberg.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
We had Shaw for his 25, 26, 27 year old season. Forwards, particularly pedestrian forwards, and that is what Andrew Shaw is, tend to peak at 23 and drop off at 28. He just had a season in which he outperformed xG by 7.5 percentage points. He had a bloated on-ice shooting% of 11.48, that's 3rd highest in the league amongst players who played at least half a season. He's got a history of injury, which tends to get worse, not better, as you age. This is a textbook example of selling high

We bought a truck, drove it for all it was worth, got an inspection that suggests there's a whole lot of repairs to be done, and then sold it back to the dealership for the exact cost that we paid for it three years ago

That's a win.

How is that a win?! We traded Andrew Shaw for absolutely no tangible asset. When you create a hole in your lineup, at the very least, PLEASE try to plug another one. Acquire a LHD. Not only that, we lose one of the few gritty players we have and a guy who was much appreciated in the dressing room.

What Bergevin has done this offseason is absolutely criminal. It's worst than anything he's done since coming in. He should be relieved of his duties.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
How is that a win?! We traded Andrew Shaw for absolutely no tangible asset. When you create a hole in your lineup, at the very least, PLEASE try to plug another one. Acquire a LHD. Not only that, we lose one of the few gritty players we have and a guy who was much appreciated in the dressing room.

What Bergevin has done this offseason is absolutely criminal. It's worst than anything he's done since coming in. He should be relieved of his duties.

We got Andrew Shaw's best three years for nothing. We essentially loaned him interest free. Go to a bank. Try that. They won't do it.

We got a 2nd, 3rd, and a 7th. We have 12 picks at the draft. If you really want, we could go out and use those to pick up a 25 year old Andrew Shaw type. If you can upgrade to a newer model for free, you do it. Not that we even need wingers

Reactions: Gains

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
We got Andrew Shaw's best three years for nothing. We essentially loaned him interest free. Go to a bank. Try that. They won't do it.

We got a 2nd, 3rd, and a 7th. We have 12 picks at the draft. If you really want, we could go out and use those to pick up a 25 year old Andrew Shaw type. If you can upgrade to a newer model for free, you do it

What in the hell are you talking about. This has nothing to do with a loan. We're talking about a hockey team here. We have trade chips, and we deemed Shaw was a piece we were ready to sacrifice. We did, and in the process, instead of using him to acquire a LHD, we gave him away for draft picks, when we already had PLENTY of money to play with, and when we should have been looking to improve and take the next step.

Anyway, I'm just about to give up. This management is as bad as they come and I'm starting to think this fanbase just deserves everything that comes at them... We're even asking for more FFS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad