Confirmed with Link: Andrew Shaw traded to Chicago

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
What in the hell are you talking about. This has nothing to do with a loan. We're talking about a hockey team here. We have trade chips, and we deemed Shaw was a piece we were ready to sacrifice. We did, and in the process, instead of using him to acquire a LHD, we gave him away for draft picks, when we already had PLENTY of money to play with, and when we should have been looking to improve and take the next step.

Anyway, I'm just about to give up. This management is as bad as they come and I'm starting to think this fanbase just deserves everything that comes at them... We're even asking for more FFS.

Players are assets. Assets are at their most valuable when they can produce the most. We acquired Shaw while he was most capable of producing. As he turns 28, it becomes increasingly more likely that his ability to produce will decline. We gave up draft picks to acquire a productive Andrew Shaw, used him to produce for three years, and then traded him for similarly valued draft picks immediately after a statistically unsustainable season, as he is set to decline. Those draft picks are also assets, and are more liquid in nature. Draft picks hold value for all teams, whereas Andrew Shaw holds value for teams in need of wingers. They're easier to move in a trade for something like a LHD

It's just good asset management. Which, 18 months ago, I didn't think I'd be able to say about Marc Bergevin

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
What Bergevin has done this offseason is absolutely criminal. It's worst than anything he's done since coming in. He should be relieved of his duties.

Worse than loosing Radulov and Markov? Lol. That's just plain ridiculous. I was on board to fire Bergevin after he lost Radulov, so I'm not a pro-Bergevin at all. Your take is largely exagerated.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
What in the hell are you talking about. This has nothing to do with a loan. We're talking about a hockey team here. We have trade chips, and we deemed Shaw was a piece we were ready to sacrifice. We did, and in the process, instead of using him to acquire a LHD, we gave him away for draft picks, when we already had PLENTY of money to play with, and when we should have been looking to improve and take the next step.
Those draft picks can also be used to acquire an LHD.

Jul 6, 2016
Everyone has been complaining about how Shaw was overpaid, how Shaw was expensive to aquire, etc.

Now that he is gone, everyone is complaining again.

This. Is. Funny.

he just got his best offensive season and was clicking super well wit Domi.

Reactions: c3z4r

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
he just got his best offensive season and was clicking super well wit Domi.

Gets best offensive season and MB still gets less than what he traded to get him (even if we ignore the 2nd pick ended up Debrincat).

That said, selling high on Shaw was a good move since there was a high likelihood he'd just get more injuries/regress.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
They’re not keeping Poehling in Montreal to play him 4th line minutes. He’ll be much better served by playing as a winger on the top-6.

This isn't 2008. He's not playing 8 minutes a game with Georges Laraque on his wing.

The difference between 4th line TOI and 2nd line TOI is 1-2 minutes a game. He might even play more than some of our 2nd liners if he's getting both 2nd unit PP and PK time.

You really think that extra 1 minute of ice time is worth not developing him at his natural position?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergevin is an idiot for trading for him. Wait, no he is an idiot for trading him... wait...

anyway the point is Bergevin is an idiot...:sarcasm:
Everyone has been complaining about how Shaw was overpaid, how Shaw was expensive to aquire, etc.

This. Is. Funny.

Did it ever occur to you guys that this is a forum filled with hundreds if not thousands of posters so you might have two different opinions on a certain issue?..
Some posters hated Shaw's deal here...some were fine...some were neutral.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the people who support this Shaw trade are probably not the ones who were complaining about his contract...

But again, this falls in line with the biggest criticism of Bergevin. He has no plan...no direction. Trade Shaw...no worries. I don't particularly care if he stayed or not. But I would like to know the purpose and logic behind the move.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

This. Is. Funny.

I didn’t like the Shaw deal (timing and value) and I think we gave him too much money and term...

But we have to live with those decision and manage our assets. I have no issue trading Shaw but If we paid two 2nd rd for the right to Shaw has a RFA when Chicago had to move him for cap reason. Why would we take any less (especially for the same team), when he is signed and just had is best season and we don’t need to move him, this is compounded by the fact that after LD RW is probably our weakest position and with the size our FW we just loss a lot of toughness, We didn’t need to clear cap space and the cap space isn’t being used...

So I don’t know why we should be happy about the move it is poor asset management and it make the initial deal look even worst.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I didn’t like the Shaw deal (timing and value) and I think we gave him too much money and term...

But we have to live with those decision and manage our assets. I have no issue trading Shaw but If we paid two 2nd rd for the right to Shaw has a RFA when Chicago had to move him for cap reason. Why would we take any less (especially for the same team), when he is signed and just had is best season and we don’t need to move him, this is compounded by the fact that after LD RW is probably our weakest position and with the size our FW we just loss a lot of toughness, We didn’t need to clear cap space and the cap space isn’t being used...

So I don’t know why we should be happy about the move it is poor asset management and it make the initial deal look even worst.

Everyone gets Shaw had his best season yet, probably a career season given his age...but he returned less because he's 3 years older now and suffered injuries in each season? Not sure how this is hard to understand...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Everyone gets Shaw had his best season yet, probably a career season given his age...but he returned less because he's 3 years older now and suffered injuries in each season? Not sure how this is hard to understand...
He returned less because it was reported that the Habs suddenly changed their mind about not trading him. We could have probably gotten more in return if we didn't rush the trade.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The guy is 27yo he isn’t 34...
lot of player have injury at some point it seem like Crosby and Bergeron were both one hit away from having to retire. Even if I can see the injury being a factor, if you trade him back to Chicago you can’t really take less especially since you have no garantie the the pick will be equal or better than the 2 pick a you gave up and Chicago got Debrincat... trade him to a other team or wait to trade there is no way a playoff team doesn’t give a 2nd and a 3rd for a guy like Shaw at the TDL.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He returned less because it was reported that the Habs suddenly changed their mind about not trading him. We could have probably gotten more in return if we didn't rush the trade.

Yes, let's operate in the world of probabilities...I'm sure we could have gotten two 2nds and a 3rd for him as an added bonus to the original trade by waiting them out.

Or...we didn't want to trade him and got the best possible trade value for him then Bergevin said f*** it, it won't get better than this...done deal.

No one knows what happened behind the scenes.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Or maybe the Hawks offered more a week later which made Bergevin change his mind, no one knows.

JT Miller is a better and younger player than Shaw and he got a 1st and a 3rd, I think getting a 2nd and a 3rd for Shaw is a good return and I was one of the few who actually liked/supported Shaw through his years here.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yes, let's operate in the world of probabilities...I'm sure we could have gotten two 2nds and a 3rd for him as an added bonus to the original trade.

Or...we didn't want to trade him and got the best possible trade value for him then Bergevin said **** it, it won't get better than this...done deal.

No one knows what happened behind the scenes.
I don't see how spending more time to trade a player would do anything but increase value. After spending some time to find the best value of return, you can say f*** it, it won't get any better than this...done deal. Doing this trade suddenly before free agency means that MB had/has to spend the cap.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Or maybe the Hawks offered more a week later which made Bergevin change his mind, no one knows.

JT Miller is a better and younger player than Shaw and he got a 1st and a 3rd, I think getting a 2nd and a 3rd for Shaw is a good return and I was one of the few who actually liked/supported Shaw through his years here.
A 2nd and a 3rd isn't something extraordinary that should make you completely change your plan and immediately accept the deal.

Tampa also had to get rid of him, which is a disadvantage for hem.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Did it ever occur to you guys that this is a forum filled with hundreds if not thousands of posters so you might have two different opinions on a certain issue?..
Some posters hated Shaw's deal here...some were fine...some were neutral.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the people who support this Shaw trade are probably not the ones who were complaining about his contract...

But again, this falls in line with the biggest criticism of Bergevin. He has no plan...no direction. Trade Shaw...no worries. I don't particularly care if he stayed or not. But I would like to know the purpose and logic behind the move.

I think the plan is to get rid of a guy that will be replaced by younger cheaper players... and pick up some assets at the same time.

Reactions: 417

JackZap

May 7, 2009
So they are going to sign Lehkonen at what? 3-3.5? Dude couldn’t even score at the Bunny Ranch

Gimme Shaw for the extra 750k. We have plenty of prospects to take Lehkonen’s minutes and role.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I have defended Shaw many times on this board. Outside of the usual positive posters, if you go back 1 year his contract was hated and he was looked at as a huge mistake.

So many times I have debated that if Eller for 2 2nds was a good trade then so was the Shaw trade and then retorts about low and high 2nd picks.

1 year ago most thought we would have to SEND an asset to trade Shaw, not get 2 assets back for him.

I still think it was a mistake to trade Shaw because his horrible contract is actually a very good contract now with 3 years left and 3.9 AAV. When guys like Hayes and Lee are getting 7 x 7, Shaw at close to half that is almost a steal.

Seems MB thought he would make a big signing and he took the risk but it didn't come through. Polie did the same thing with PK, giving him up for peanuts, but MD actually signed.

I guess we did sign Aho, but Canes matched and took that away from the habs.

Just interesting to see Shaw go from one of the teams biggest scapegoats and MB's biggest mistakes to beloved player LOL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I have defended Shaw many times on this board. Outside of the usual positive posters, if you go back 1 year his contract was hated and he was looked at as a huge mistake.

So many times I have debated that if Eller for 2 2nds was a good trade then so was the Shaw trade and then retorts about low and high 2nd picks.

1 year ago most thought we would have to SEND an asset to trade Shaw, not get 2 assets back for him.

I still think it was a mistake to trade Shaw because his horrible contract is actually a very good contract now with 3 years left and 3.9 AAV. When guys like Hayes and Lee are getting 7 x 7, Shaw at close to half that is almost a steal.

Seems MB thought he would make a big signing and he took the risk but it didn't come through. Polie did the same thing with PK, giving him up for peanuts, but MD actually signed.

I guess we did sign Aho, but Canes matched and took that away from the habs.

Just interesting to see Shaw go from one of the teams biggest scapegoats and MB's biggest mistakes to beloved player LOL.

I didn't like the trade but if this is his worst it's not that bad (though the Drouin trade could still be worse). It's really only horrendous with who we could've drafted and yeah you can't just dismiss that but you also can't treat it like it was a foregone conclusion either but either way we potentially missed out.

He did have a great year last year. I'll take everyone's word for it that he's a concussion away from being done. Checks out I guess.

I wanted Shaw or Byron or both gone. Like both players but we're gonna have to make room soon enough. I think it's fine to throw the dice and trade Shaw now lest something happens to him.

Like I've said before, I don't really care about the Price/Cup window because I don't really believe in it. I'm totally on board with tanking next year. The year after imo is when we're going to start making moves. A lot of these kids will be ready by then or more ready to make an impact. A real chance at Lafreniere or any of the other top 5 and we'll be sitting pretty for years to come. Let all these other teams get marginally better for this season. Not really interested. One more elite prospect (possibly gamebreaking prospect) and we're ready to dance.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I liked Shaw more then most...but that's a good deal.

This team is filled with this type of 2nd/3rd line, small, tweener, winger.

Turn that excess into currency (draft picks)...

I'm ready to do the same with Byron. I don't see where he fits. At least Shaw can play on any line. Byron isn't good with Domi or KK 5 on 5. At least Shaw was good with Domi. We could get another valuable 2nd and then bring in Mojo or Dzingle without breaking the bank.

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad