Confirmed with Link: Andrew Shaw traded to Chicago

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Make no mistake about this, and im not joking :

The space (well THAT particular space) was made for Jordan Weal, and for the millionth time...dont sleep on this guy ...

I have weal in our lineup and we still have an extra spot left

Drouin - Domi - XXXX
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Poehling - Kk - Lehky
Byron - Weal - Armia

I dont expect thompson, peca and weise to be a regular top 12.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Armia, Lehkonen, Poehling, Danault and Tatar do not strike me as players that will be intimidated in the playoffs.

So what, we're already throwing Poehling under the bus ? The kids gonna be a real pain in the ass for the opponent night after night.

Jul 6, 2016

Drouin - Domi - XXXX
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Poehling - Kk - Lehky
Byron - Weal - Armia

Peca or Weise or both will be put on waivers or sent down to Laval if not taken.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Drouin - Domi - XXXX
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Poehling - Kk - Lehky
Byron - Weal - Armia

If Drouin is one of our first liners this team will compete to win the draft lottery. I am hoping that he is traded, he brings the team down.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I understand the concept... When you manage your asset sometime you have to cut your lost but it not like Shaw was draging the team down he had is best season, the timing of the trade is also puzzling since we didn’t sign anyone and we already had cap space to sign our targets. The team isn’t any better today without Shaw so either MB payed to much or sold too low or both either way the issue is within MB control and Chicago has benefited from both move.

For sure MB paid too much in acquiring Shaw. But what we paid to acquire Shaw should have no bearing on whether trading him now was the right move or not.

You're right that Shaw had his best season and the team isn't better today now that he's gone. However the counter points would be, Shaw's previous poor seasons and contract meant he had negative trade value. The only reason we got anything for him was because he rebounded with a strong season. Do we really want to take the risk that last season wasn't a fluke, because if he goes back to his previous form we wouldn't be able to get anything for him. As for the team, we aren't in a position where Shaw makes a difference one way or the other, unless there is a big surprise we are going to be a bubble team where even if we make the playoffs we wouldn't go far. The good Shaw increases the odds of us making the playoffs, but if we aren't going to go on a long playoff run then we are better off missing the playoffs and getting the better draft pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would be funny is if Shaw produces more with the Blackhawks in his prime and the ones who jumped on his back fo so many years criticize Bergevin for moving him for picks when they criticize him for getting Shaw for picks in the 1st place

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
What would be funny is if Shaw produces more with the Blackhawks in his prime and the ones who jumped on his back fo so many years criticize Bergevin for moving him for picks when they criticize him for getting Shaw for picks in the 1st place

I won't criticize him for trading Shaw while he could since I don't think it's worth the risk keeping him around and possibly getting nothing. But it's perfectly valid to criticize Bergevin for making a mistake even if you or I would've made the same mistake because it's not the same at all. Bergevin has so much more info available to him that we as fans don't have that he should get it right way more often then us fans. On top of that, he has the GM job in part because he's supposed to good at this sort of thing.

Think of it like this, if I'm sick and use WebMD to diasgnose myself and get it wrong, but the doctor makes the same misdiagnosis, does that absolve the doctor for the misdiagnosis? Isn't the expectation of accuracy for him much higher then it is for me checking WebMD?

Reactions: Curufinwe

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Habs are left in their top 9 with galagher the only “ sandpaper” type of player that will actually will win battles in the corners

hans finish 12/13 in division

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Habs are left in their top 9 with galagher the only “ sandpaper” type of player that will actually will win battles in the corners

hans finish 12/13 in division

Doesn't Domi also have some "sandpaper" to his game?

As for winning the puck in the corners Tatar and Danault do that quite well without having much "sandpaper" to their game.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Shaw 2 previous « bad » season where is ppg were actually pretty much on par with the reste of is Career, he just miss more games to injury and he pretty miss the same amount of game last year has well...
If we aren’t in a position where Shaw can make a difference than we weren in the same position when acquired him... Also with is style of play if he didn’t already have injury issue when we acquired him it was probably a likely outcome. Has for is contract if he was a unsign RFA looking to get paid when we acquired him (Chicago didn’t have any space for him), if he would have been a UFA this summer pretty sure Shaw get more than 3.9M$ 3 years, so is contract isn’t a that big of a issue. Getting rid of a mistake isn’t automatically a win... This trade is prof that is acquiring wasn’t a good move.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I don't know what was meant with this run-on sentence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I won't criticize him for trading Shaw while he could since I don't think it's worth the risk keeping him around and possibly getting nothing. But it's perfectly valid to criticize Bergevin for making a mistake even if you or I would've made the same mistake because it's not the same at all. Bergevin has so much more info available to him that we as fans don't have that he should get it right way more often then us fans. On top of that, he has the GM job in part because he's supposed to good at this sort of thing.

Think of it like this, if I'm sick and use WebMD to diasgnose myself and get it wrong, but the doctor makes the same misdiagnosis, does that absolve the doctor for the misdiagnosis? Isn't the expectation of accuracy for him much higher then it is for me checking WebMD?

I was ok with Shaw and I’m ok with trading him cause we need to make room for the prospects.

Just saying it would be funny if some people criticize acquiring Shaw for picks and trading him for picks

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I didn't mind the trade at all although I really liked what Shaw brought to the team. I'll reserve my judgment for later, but this better not be it though, cause we're weakened right now. Still plenty of time though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->