Confirmed with Link: Andrew Miller (Yale) Signs 1-Year ELC

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sounds like an Arcobello clone more than likely. Way to make our organization tougher to play against.....

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Look at it this way. Half the teams in the league were interested in this guy and we were able to sign him. So glass half full: we were able to out recruit half the league. Half empty: this guy figured he had more chances to get playing time with us than 14 other teams and 15 teams didn't want him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Here's some highlights from Millers 2nd last game (to get into the NCAA finals)

interview at ~2:35
Game winning goal at 4:25
Post Game interview at 6:55

Here he scores on a breakaway in the final @1:22

Thanks for finding the videos, I wish that there was more that we could see, of what little we did, there really wasn't anything to get excited about IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His height is really irrelevant if you actually take the time to consider it's an AHL signing.

Hopefully he's got grit to his game like Arcobello does. I really don't see this as a potential signing that turns into an NHL player for us. If he can give us a fairly cheap offensive option on the farm that's fine, but we need to cut bait with a lot of guys on the farm or this move just adds another contract to a team that is littered with mediocre or worse players at all levels.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Size is so overblown.

Theo Fleury totally sucked, right?

So does he have elite skating, an elite shot, elite anything? Size is overblown when a smaller guy has a ton of intangibles/skills that aren't very common. I don't know enough of this guy to say one way or another, but based on the clips above he didn't look particularly fast or have a particularly great shot.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Hopefully he's got grit to his game like Arcobello does. I really don't see this as a potential signing that turns into an NHL player for us. If he can give us a fairly cheap offensive option on the farm that's fine, but we need to cut bait with a lot of guys on the farm or this move just adds another contract to a team that is littered with mediocre or worse players at all levels.

Whitney, Jones, Petrell, Peckham, Sutton, Hordichuk, Hartikainen, Plante, Vande Velde, Cornet --most of these guys will likely be gone in the off-season.
Add some possible buy-outs (Belanger, Eager, Smyth). Contract space really is not a big issue.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
from what i've read, he sounds like a significant character player with NHL quality playmaking ability. If culture is something we're concerned about, a championship captain might not be a bad thing to have around. obviously with size, the odds are stacked against him - but I wouldn't count him out and I'm sure if he shows up to camp and outcompetes fringe players he will not be overlooked by the coaching staff either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Whitney, Jones, Petrell, Peckham, Sutton, Hordichuk, Hartikainen, Plante, Vande Velde, Cornet --most of these guys will likely be gone in the off-season.
Add some possible buy-outs (Belanger, Eager, Smyth). Contract space really is not a big issue.

And each of those guys have to get replaced with the exception of Sutton. If 15 other teams were in on him hopefully it's because at least a few of them saw him as more than a 2nd line AHLer. Will he signing an ATO so that we can see him play with OKC to get a better idea of what he brings to the table?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Should be a good addition to our farm team. We need more skill down there if Lander and Hartikainen are going to break on through to the next level full time next season.

t0mf00lery

Sep 12, 2003
Barrie, Ontario
Visit site
Yeah, I can't say I understand how signing a depth player for a depth role is a bad thing...

It's as if some people don't quite understand the reasoning behind moves like this, and they're expecting it to be the equivalent of the first round of the draft. They'll complain about anything if it's someone they haven't heard of.

Or they think these signings are meant to bring in impact NHL players right away.

Either way, it seems ridiculous to me.

I dont understand why everyone is so negative about this. there is literally no downside to this signing.

- we gave up no assets
- its a 1 year ELC deal, if he sucks, its gone in a year
- if he cant make it in the AHL, he'll be sent to ECHL

Yeah, I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone would have a problem with this signing. They add an asset without giving anything up.

If the guy pans out, best case scenario, he's either going to be a serviceable player on the team, or a tradeable asset.

If he doesn't, oh well, he plays in the AHL or ECHL and then he's gone.

How the hell is there anything negative about this?

I think the only people seeing anything negative in it are taking out their frustrations about the overall state of the team on this particular minor signing.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
And each of those guys have to get replaced with the exception of Sutton. If 15 other teams were in on him hopefully it's because at least a few of them saw him as more than a 2nd line AHLer. Will he signing an ATO so that we can see him play with OKC to get a better idea of what he brings to the table?

Definitely not all of them: Hordichuk, Eager, Sutton, Belanger will just be cut.
Whitney, Petrell, Smyth will have to be replaced.
Plante, Cornet, House, Vande Velde, maybe Teubert will be replaced by a new wave of prospects (Musil, Gernat, Kessy, Ewanyk).

There might be a couple of 2 for 1 trades in the summer too.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Sounds like an Arcobello clone more than likely. Way to make our organization tougher to play against.....

I need to see him with his shirt off to see if he has "sugartits" before I can decide if he makes us tougher to play against.
Really guys, get a grip. It cost the team nothing in the way of assets to sign this guy. If he pans out fantastic. If not who cares? (Please don't tell me about the 50 contracts. We have lots of dead weight we can dump if need be) Our Ahl team needs skill players too

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I don't understand why some of you are complaining. I really don't get it.
They traded for Fistric, Brown, Kessy, have drafted mostly big guys in the last draft and reached for some because they were big and this one college signing which is low risk and is basically an AHL move is a problem?
It'll add some skill to the Barons for a playoff run if anything. I don't see the issue here.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
haha i love this board.

we as a whole are hilarious.

Good for the kid! Hope he does well at the pro level.

Free asset, no reason to complain. All this has is upside.

MacT wasn't kidding when he said he lacks patience!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I need to see him with his shirt off to see if he has "sugartits" before I can decide if he makes us tougher to play against.
Really guys, get a grip. It cost the team nothing in the way of assets to sign this guy. If he pans out fantastic. If not who cares? (Please don't tell me about the 50 contracts. We have lots of dead weight we can dump if need be) Our Ahl team needs skill players too

I can't speak for anyone else, but the optics of this signing blows. We are a team full of smallish skilled guys who are in dire need of size and grit and "new" managements first move is to bring in yet another smallish forward. Unless this guy plays like Mike Richards or Mike Fisher, it's somewhat ridiculous. Especially when I've read a number of posts in recent months criticizing our former GM of signing basically AHL depth guys to NHL contracts. Yet now that MacT does it, it's all good in the world? If this were a Tambo signing there would be 10X the *****ing that there is now. I hope that the kid does well and that he is a better NHL option than a guy like Arcobello, but at first glance color me unimpressed. Also, not sure what seeing a guy with his shirt off has to do with him being hard to play against? Horcoff is probably one of the most ripped guys on our team yet he's not exactly hell to play against.

I don't understand why some of you are complaining. I really don't get it.
They traded for Fistric, Brown, Kessy, have drafted mostly big guys in the last draft and reached for some because they were big and this one college signing which is low risk and is basically an AHL move is a problem?
It'll add some skill to the Barons for a playoff run if anything. I don't see the issue here.

This signing in and of itself isn't an issue, however if we start loading up on Reddox and Petersen clones and this is the first domino, then remember your post.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I can't speak for anyone else, but the optics of this signing blows. We are a team full of smallish skilled guys who are in dire need of size and grit and "new" managements first move is to bring in yet another smallish forward. Unless this guy plays like Mike Richards or Mike Fisher, it's somewhat ridiculous. Especially when I've read a number of posts in recent months criticizing our former GM of signing basically AHL depth guys to NHL contracts. Yet now that MacT does it, it's all good in the world? If this were a Tambo signing there would be 10X the *****ing that there is now. I hope that the kid does well and that he is a better NHL option than a guy like Arcobello, but at first glance color me unimpressed. Also, not sure what seeing a guy with his shirt off has to do with him being hard to play against? Horcoff is probably one of the most ripped guys on our team yet he's not exactly hell to play against.

This signing in and of itself isn't an issue, however if we start loading up on Reddox and Petersen clones and this is the first domino, then remember your post.

Ya I'm sure alot of those complaint posts were yours. I didnt read a single rave reveiw in this thread just people who realize this signing is either a positive or is gone in a year so inconsequential or posts like yours that act like a college free agent siging is the worst thing Mact could have done. They trade reider for kessy and everyone moans about trading skill for coke machine and then they sign skill and people moan there is no size. /yawn

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Ya I'm sure alot of those complaint posts were yours. I didnt read a single rave reveiw in this thread just people who realize this signing is either a positive or is gone in a year so inconsequential or posts like yours that act like a college free agent siging is the worst thing Mact could have done. They trade reider for kessy and everyone moans about trading skill for coke machine and then they sign skill and people moan there is no size. /yawn

I agree with BBO....My biggest complaint here has little to do with this particular player. I just see a pattern again and the fact that we couldn't sign any high end FA's with size and skill but, again, got another small player.

Here's a novel idea..How about our management find players that have both..size and skill..and actually do what they're being paid to do...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad