Injury Report: Andrew MacDonald activated from IR (Nov. 27) after missing 15 games with a leg injury

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
MacDonald has been boning up on stats during his time off.

Flyers’ Sean Couturier growing his game off the ice as well as on

Couturier has coupled the on-ice and off-ice parts of being an NHLer to being someone the Flyers would have a very hard time replacing.

“I wouldn’t say he’s the most vocal guy,” alternate captain Andrew MacDonald said, “but in his work ethic and demeanor and how he goes out there and shows by example means a lot to this team and it will for many years. I read a stat the other day that he has the most even-strength points since March of last season. I didn’t realize that, but it puts things in perspective of how valuable he is to our team right now and what he’s able to do for us.”

He must follow either Meltzer or Appleyard on Twitter :laugh:

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
From Dave Isaac, yesterday afternoon:

Defenseman Andrew MacDonald took the ice in Wednesday’s practice, but don’t expect him to suit up against the Jets. He’s been out since Oct. 21 when he blocked a shot with his knee against Edmonton.

“I’m not sure if that’s realistic or not, just being off for the amount of time I was off,” MacDonald said. “It did feel really good, but we just have to go through the process of seeing how it feels tomorrow and go from there, make sure there’s no setbacks or anything.”

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
From Dave Isaac, yesterday afternoon:

Defenseman Andrew MacDonald took the ice in Wednesday’s practice, but don’t expect him to suit up against the Jets. He’s been out since Oct. 21 when he blocked a shot with his knee against Edmonton.

“I’m not sure if that’s realistic or not, just being off for the amount of time I was off,” MacDonald said. “It did feel really good, but we just have to go through the process of seeing how it feels tomorrow and go from there, make sure there’s no setbacks or anything.”

And as it turned out, with Gudas getting tossed from the Game, AMac would have been pressed to play more minutes than planned... and more than he should... for the long haul, playing Manning and not rushing AMac was a real blessing... no rush IMO... Manning is fine as a #7 stepping up to #6... doing his role fittingly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If I were that guy the last thing I would be doing is reading on the internet.

benningsurprise1.jpg

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I wonder if MacDonald will report back to Hakstol. "Look Dave all the stats say I'm not reliable in any zone". Dave - "I don't care what the stats or videos say, I know hockey!"

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Gudas will take up a roster spot while he's suspended, so they may only carry 6 active dmen on the roster since they are home for the rest of November apart from short trips to NY and Pit.

Provorov-MacDonald
Ghost-Hagg
Sanheim-Manning

Reactions: JXC

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
FWIW... IIRC Flyers were 5-3 with positive Stats and on the upswing when AMac went down blocking and clearing a potential Goal... in the subsequent Games Flyers are something like 3-6-6 with negative diving Stats and on a downswing.

Certainly their great decline over the last 15 Games cannot be entirely tied to AMac being out and the Defense scrambled... but maybe part of it can be.

Everybody will agree that AMac's Contract is greatly overpaid... and he is playing above his ideal slotting... but, now that the Cap is basically a non-factor with the Flyers, could the AMac hatred be rolled back for the rest of his Contract... and maybe we can appreciate what he provides -- albeit at an inflated Cap -- and not damn him for being the ruination of an otherwise great young Team?... Can we ignore his Cap and length of Contract and move on as the young guns mature and improve... on what is obviously a Rebuild... if not a disguised Tanking Period?

AMac is neither as bad as his detractors profess nor as good as his Contract is paying him... he is what he is... and is not the worst thing for this floundering Team.

JMO

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...Donald-Morin-Weal-Phantoms-Prospects/45/89176

In the above Bill Meltzer Blog HockeyBuzz link, Bill basically agrees with my observation:

Injured while blocking a shot during a crucial third-period penalty kill in the Flyers' 2-1 home win against the Edmonton Oilers on Oct. 21, Andrew MacDonald has missed the last 15 games.
He appears likely to return on Monday against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

MacDonald's absence has not been the primary cause of the team's recent struggles. For a variety of reasons -- a stretch of virtually zero secondary scoring, a penalty killing nosedive in the latter portion of November, defensive breakdowns at crucial times -- a Flyers team that was 5-3-0 after eight games has gone 3-6-6 over the last 15. Even so, MacDonald has been missed in terms of balancing the defense pairings and for his shot-blocking ability.

Since I last posted I firmly braced myself for backlash Posts totally dismissing the cause and effect of AMac going on IR and the Flyers piss poor play and downward trending... but with none being posted, and Bill's Blog today, I may survive virtually unscathed on here. ;)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hopefully he he keeps his 68 GF% for years to come. :laugh:

Gudas will take up a roster spot while he's suspended, so they may only carry 6 active dmen on the roster since they are home for the rest of November apart from short trips to NY and Pit.

Provorov-MacDonald
Ghost-Hagg
Sanheim-Manning

I assume they'll demote Morin for the next two games to get down to 23 men, and he will play for the Phantoms on Wednesday. And then they will reassess the roster on Thursday, or after the Boston game on Saturday afternoon. I don't think they will go to Western Canada with 6 available dmen.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Interesting comment by MacDonald.

“You’re trying to generate things and maybe you end up cheating a little bit and you give up more defensively,” he said Sunday after practice in Voorhees. “I think we just have to get back to sticking to our defensive plan and capitalizing on our chances.”

MacDonald should also help the penalty kill, which has surrendered eight power-play goals over the last four games.
Provorov and MacDonald form the defense on the top penalty-killing unit.

“Mac and I understand each other, we read off each other,” Provorov said. “He’s in great position most of the time, and that’s why he’s able to get big blocks and [have] a good stick.”

Flyers hope Andrew MacDonald steadies slumping defense

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Interesting comment by MacDonald.

“You’re trying to generate things and maybe you end up cheating a little bit and you give up more defensively,” he said Sunday after practice in Voorhees. “I think we just have to get back to sticking to our defensive plan and capitalizing on our chances.”

MacDonald should also help the penalty kill, which has surrendered eight power-play goals over the last four games.
Provorov and MacDonald form the defense on the top penalty-killing unit.

“Mac and I understand each other, we read off each other,” Provorov said. “He’s in great position most of the time, and that’s why he’s able to get big blocks and [have] a good stick.”

Flyers hope Andrew MacDonald steadies slumping defense

When you have a young Team... with an even younger D... no matter the potential talent level on it... you often lack much of the wisdom that can only be gained from experience... AMac ceratinly lacks the raw talent of the kids, but he is at present the only Veteran with considerable age, time and experience in the NHL... Gudas next, when available... and then Manning... what does that tell you?

As great Provy, Ghost et al are, they still need a veteran mentor, IMO... a steadying force... That quote from AMac really can only come from experience... The young talented cocky potential stars make that tradeoff as a matter of fact... the experienced Veteran with more experience than talent steps back and understands such things.

JMO

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
When you have a young Team... with an even younger D... no matter the potential talent level on it... you often lack much of the wisdom that can only be gained from experience... AMac ceratinly lacks the raw talent of the kids, but he is at present the only Veteran with considerable age, time and experience in the NHL... Gudas next, when available... and then Manning... what does that tell you?

As great Provy, Ghost et al are, they still need a veteran mentor, IMO... a spreading force... That quote from AMac really can only come from experience... The young talented cocky potential stars make that tradeoff as a matter of fact... the experienced Veteran with more experience than talent steps back and understands such things.

JMO

Obviously skill levels are very different but Mark Howe called Glen Cochrane one of his most important teammates for more than one reason.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
...And Rico always gave respect and props to Bundy in his veteran years... although he was more the Veteran... more of a comment on the right pairings, and what it can give you.
People love to ignore that because they want their favorite players playing together all the time.
If Provy feels comfortable and keeps playing well, that's all that matters to me. He's our most important defenseman and maybe even our most important player.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
People love to ignore that because they want their favorite players playing together all the time.
If Provy feels comfortable and keeps playing well, that's all that matters to me. He's our most important defenseman and maybe even our most important player.

Even if he could perform even better with a more capable partner and the team would be better off?

MacDonald is not and never will be a defensemen capable of playing on a top pair. He was a brutal anchor all of last season for Provy to drag around. His start this season was a bit better, but he looked like last season MacDonald after coming back from injury. I suspect his start was an abberation and his post-injury performance is more in line with what we will see going forward. Bad pinches, giving away the blue line like it's mardi gras beads, and getting lost in coverage.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad