Injury Report: Andrew MacDonald activated from IR (Nov. 27) after missing 15 games with a leg injury

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Provorov heaps a lot of praise on MacDonald in that short interview.

The last Hak question about Ghost and Gudas not playing much together before now sounded smart, so I assume that was Charlie O'Conner.

I'd much rather have heard Hextall talk, though. He always offers more value in his interviews.
I like Charlie's articles on the Athletic, he has excellent insight and a balanced view. I am a bit surprised it wasn't Gudas with Provorov but I was impressed with the physicality and good positioning of Hagg seeing him live. Glad they switched out Weise from Patrick, that just wasn't working.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
No matter how many times I hear the word "veteran" associated with Manning my eyes still bulge out. He has 2 years of NHL time. I don't hear Ghost ever called a veteran.

When Bunny is a "veteran" of two years, I am sure I will have a bulge also. Because we will have two more Cups, obviously.

Reactions: Magua

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Manning could be playing with Orr and he'd decide to take the offensive lead on the pairing.

u8KRUsa.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
On the bright side -- and I'm reminding myself as much as anyone else -- Sanheim is now a fixture in the top 6 for the next 4-6 weeks, meaning that Provorov, Gostisbehere, Hagg, and Sanheim are logging regular minutes on the Flyers. And there is a strong possibility that Morin will be called up to platoon with Manning.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Manning was not a good partner for Ghost last season so Maning-Sanheim may struggle, but the way the defense is set up makes the introduction of Morin in the next 4-6 weeks more likely than if Manning was with Gudas. So I choose to look on the bright side.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
When Manning sits, Provorov-Hagg will be reliable, Ghost-Gudas are the "veteran" pair and Morin-Sanheim have familiarity playing together. I could definitely see Hakstol limiting their shifts if the game is close towards the end of the 3rd in any game. It is consistent with their (Hex/Hak) hesitation from the start of the year to have three rookies playing on d all at once.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Kinda funny that we ended up with a top pairing with an average age of 21 in the first month of the season. And a top 6 that is 23 and a half years old on average.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Not going to celebrate anyone's injury, at least not anyone on the Flyers (someone like Steve Avery or Tie Domi, sure why not?).

However, this should be a great opportunity for:
1. Sanheim to prove he can be effective on the right side
2. Morin to prove he belongs in the NHL.

Need the first to prove Macd is expendable THIS YEAR, without moving Ghost to his off-side. The second punches his ticket to Allentown.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
When Manning sits, Provorov-Hagg will be reliable, Ghost-Gudas are the "veteran" pair and Morin-Sanheim have familiarity playing together. I could definitely see Hakstol limiting their shifts if the game is close towards the end of the 3rd in any game. It is consistent with their (Hex/Hak) hesitation from the start of the year to have three rookies playing on d all at once.
This. Need to get Manning out of the lineup and Morin in asap. Not happy that AMac got hurt, but it's a chance to see what the D would look like without him and Manning, i.e. our dreams come true temporarily.

Reactions: Rebels57

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The original indication was that MacDonald would miss 4-to-6 weeks from October 22. From Philly.com:

MacDonald update

Defenseman Andrew MacDonald, who has not played since a 2-1 win over Edmonton because of a leg injury, will be examined by a doctor on Friday. Hextall said he hopes MacDonald can start skating next week. It appears the earliest he might return would be Nov. 18 against Johnny Gaudreau, Jaromir Jagr, and visiting Calgary.

Source: Sam Carchidi's column on Philly.com (Nov. 9)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The original indication was that MacDonald would miss 4-to-6 weeks from October 22. From Philly.com:

MacDonald update

Defenseman Andrew MacDonald, who has not played since a 2-1 win over Edmonton because of a leg injury, will be examined by a doctor on Friday. Hextall said he hopes MacDonald can start skating next week. It appears the earliest he might return would be Nov. 18 against Johnny Gaudreau, Jaromir Jagr, and visiting Calgary.

Source: Sam Carchidi's column on Philly.com (Nov. 9)

As long as he takes Mannings spot in the lineup and not Sanheims, all is well.

Go back to

Provorov - MacDonald (I know I know)
Ghost - Hagg
Sanheim - Gudas

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Unfortunately that doesn’t sound too far fetched. Unless another injury occurs I can’t really see them settling Manning fully into the #7 role. My guess is the two rotate as long as they stay healthy as a whole.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
As long as he takes Mannings spot in the lineup and not Sanheims, all is well.

Go back to

Provorov - MacDonald (I know I know)
Ghost - Hagg
Sanheim - Gudas
I also think this is what they go with when Amac gets back. Cycling Manning in as soon as they have a bad game or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad