NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The most shocking thing to me isn’t that a smart guy like Luck who has the good fortune of having made lots of money while having a good life and upbringing (certainly not something you can say for all NFL players) is retiring while he still has his senses...it’s that Andrew Luck is about to be 30 years old....that’s crazy to me since I somehow still viewed him as one of the “young gun” QBs in the league.

Reactions: NJDevs26

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well that's too bad. I don't love it as a Colts fan but I can certainly understand it. Better than guys who hang on for a paycheck but won't put in the necessary work to excel.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lot of lost respect to the Colts fans in attendance. That's ridiculous to do boo him

I mean I get this isn't exactly an ideal situation to put the franchise in but it's not like he was totally jaking it (though it may have come off that way at times with some of his quotes about being mentally scarred), the dude was legitimately battling injuries and the Colts were negligent on the offensive line for too long. It's not like the guy wanted to give up $30 million a year either or whatever his deal was.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Not hard to read between the lines here with this press conference, especially with that last bit from Luck. Talked about how he was in a "bad place" after playing through injury in the 2016 season.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
You have to admit, as a football fan this sucks.
Luck was a baller when healthy...although he hasn't been in the past couple of years.
It definitely sucks but Luck was amazing last year. That's what makes it so shocking compared to if it he did it before his comeback.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The fact that Luck has to face any criticism for making this decision is absurd.

The same people complaining about this are the same people who miss the “good old days” of hockey when players just shut the hell up about PTSD and mental health until they retired because they were “tough” because frankly a majority of fans don’t give a rats arse about your quality of life after you’ve hung up your skates or cleats.

The NFL is going to look a lot different in 20 years whether people like it or not and while Luck may be among the more surprising and high profile recent early retirees - he damn sure won’t be the last.

Luck deciding to retire no problem.

Luck deciding to retire with the first game of the season two weeks away playing the most important position in football. There is some valid criticism he should have made that decision earlier then today.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
And of course now the conspiracy theories have started in earnest with the XFL and Andrew’s dad as their commissioner.

I doubt there’s anything to them. The timing really doesn’t make sense.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Luck deciding to retire no problem.

Luck deciding to retire with the first game of the season two weeks away playing the most important position in football. There is some valid criticism he should have made that decision earlier then today.

Luck is definitely not the first NFL player to retire in the middle of camp/preseason.

The fact that he’s a franchise QB, I mean yeah, that definitely sucks for the Colts. But that shouldn’t factor into his personal decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad