Recalled/Assigned: Andrew Ebbett recal--wait, no, he's been re-assigned to Chicago. (Post 112)

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I just don't see any harm in going back to a successful line-up for a game and seeing if it turns things around. The team was playing much better defense back then as well, and the Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line had great chemistry. I don't see a huge issue with a Booth-Burrows-Higgins line either, and you run Kassian with the Twins and could have iced the Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise trio.

I think the harm is that we run into another scenario where the team is completely ill prepared for the playoffs like last season. Sure, that roster had a nice start (again, goaltending and horrible competition were a big reason) but it's not the roster that we are going to go forward with in the playoffs. I would rather we start getting some consistency and established roles so that when Kes does come back, the lineup isn't thrown into chaos. Burrows is not a permanent solution at center. It's nice that he can fit in and play the odd game there, but the Canucks can't be thinking in such short term, panicky ways. Things should be done with the playoffs in mind, especially in this silly shortened season.

And more to the point on the Sedins, when they get points, the Canucks are usually winning games. Them producing is always a good thing.

Of course, if your worry is that the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs, then it's a different matter. I'm simply not in that camp.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think the harm is that we run into another scenario where the team is completely ill prepared for the playoffs like last season. Sure, that roster had a nice start (again, goaltending and horrible competition were a big reason) but it's not the roster that we are going to go forward with in the playoffs. I would rather we start getting some consistency and established roles so that when Kes does come back, the lineup isn't thrown into chaos. Burrows is not a permanent solution at center. It's nice that he can fit in and play the odd game there, but the Canucks can't be thinking in such short term, panicky ways. Things should be done with the playoffs in mind, especially in this silly shortened season.

And more to the point on the Sedins, when they get points, the Canucks are usually winning games. Them producing is always a good thing.

Of course, if your worry is that the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs, then it's a different matter. I'm simply not in that camp.

Fair enough. Though I don't see that as a really serious risk. The Twins-Burrows combo isn't losing chemistry any time soon, and the rest of the wingers are basically playing in position under the scheme I mentioned. Outside of Kassian who gets another look in the top six. Plus we might win a few more games in the mean time, and don't have to see Ebbett being useless on a nightly basis. Lapierre is also a very underwhelming option at third-line centre, though that speaks more towards the organization's horrendous depth at that position than anything else.

ArtursSilovsShirt

King Arturs 👑
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Hate Gillis so much these days...don't know why but it feels like he's so out of tune with how the NHL works right now, Andrew Ebbet as a top 2/3 center on your team means you aren't gonna be successful.

I would have liked to see something like this (2nd and 3rd lines are pretty interchangeable when it comes to ice time)

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Booth - Higgins - Kassian (Higgy has experience in the middle in the past, get Malhotra to faceoff coach him for 48 straight hours...)
Volpatti - Lapierre - Weise (won't happen now)

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
So we essentially waived Volpatti for Andrew Ebbett??? :laugh:

Hopefully management realizes that our fourth line is NOT the problem.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
He is a fine 13th forward, Center depth guy, To fill in for injury. That's what is happening. push all the centers up 1? Problem with that is Lappy is playing crap.

Biggest roster concern IMO is that this team is all in on Kesler Beast mode, we need scoring threats via a trade.

^^ and yes when we are down a center, would we not wave an extra wing for a center

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
He is a fine 13th forward, Center depth guy, To fill in for injury. That's what is happening. push all the centers up 1? Problem with that is Lappy is playing crap.

Biggest roster concern IMO is that this team is all in on Kesler Beast mode, we need scoring threats via a trade.

^^ and yes when we are down a center, would we not wave an extra wing for a center

Would have expected us to put Kesler in the IR and not waive anyone at all. Our farm team depth is just crap.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Honestly what happens when 1 of our forwards get injured again? Our farm team is just in shambles.. we have no one that can step up next to Ebbett.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ebbett is a great guy, doesn't belong in the NHL. It doesn't matter about our centre depth, because Burrows/Higgins at centre > Ebbett

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Please update me on the situation

Why didn't we just get Kesler on the inactive list to open up the roster spot

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I have a feeling Gillis is clearing some roster spots but we'll have to see. There is a reason this was done, we just don't know what it is yet.

it has to be something bigger than we don't know about yet, a trade or a signing is likely..........Ebbert will not help long-term as he is not a threat at all.....maybe something before saturday

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00