Recalled/Assigned: Andrew Ebbett recal--wait, no, he's been re-assigned to Chicago. (Post 112)

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
The way I understood it, Pinizzotto was on IR so didn't count towards the 23 man limit. To be put on the conditioning assignment, he does count towards the 23 man roster. That would explain why Volpatti was exposed. Ebbett was going to take Kesler's spot on the 23 man roster, but they picked up Sestito so Ebbett got sent back down. If Pinizzotto wasn't taking a spot on the 23 man roster during the conditioning stint, I would assume that Ebbett would have stayed up until Pinizzotto got recalled from the conditioning assignment.

Thanks makes more sense.

I initially looked at Capgeek's roster numbers (see: http://www.capgeek.com/canucks/) which had the Canucks at 24 players, including 2 on IR, which suggested they currently were running with only 22 active players (including Sestito).

This made me think that Pinizzotto didn't count against the limit and I haven't read the new CBA so I just trusted the numbers on Capgeek (and the fact that they didn't list him against the current NHL roster).

Still problematic, in terms of waiving Volpatti, that MG wasn't aware of the possibility that Kesler would be going on IR the following day (and thereby making a spot available).

Also seems questionable that the Canucks really believed they would sneak Volpatti through, given all the rumours suggesting a number of teams would be interested. If we're to believe Lorne Henning (see: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+hated+losing+Volpatti/8033909/story.html), the Canucks are just gutted that they lost Volpatti. Not sure if I fully buy into that spin.

Anyway, Sestito replaces Volpatti (and is younger, bigger, and has an arguably better pedigree, given his draft position) and since Pinner is taking up a roster spot, the Canucks appear intent on using him (which I certainly endorse). I've been interested in seeing what Pinizzotto can do at the NHL level since he was first acquired and, given that he plays both centre and wing, the current situation down the middle should provide an opportunity.

EDIT: Just realizing that the Canucks might have had another option.

Given that Bieksa didn't play on Tuesday, when Volpatti was waived on Wednesday, the Canucks knew that Bieksa would be out at least until Saturday's game, which should have given him enough missed days from his injury the previous Friday to be placed on IR this week (need seven days from injury, which was Friday).

So, if we say the Canucks are currently carrying 25 players, including Pinner (in the AHL on 2 week conditioning), but could have placed 3 players on IR (Manny, Kes, Juice), the Canucks should have been able to manipulate the injured reserve to allow them to activate Pinizzotto (from IR) by placing Bieksa on IR (even without knowing about Kesler's injury). Then, following Kesler's move to IR, Sestito could have also been added (if they still wanted to grab him, given they'd have kept Volpatti in this scenerio). This without needing to waive anyone.

I suppose it's not really a big deal (losing a 4th line, AHL/NHL tweener like Volpatti), but I kind of trust MG, or at least Gilman, to be able to take advantage of these things and to manipulate the rules whenever needed. When Volpatti was waived, the Canucks couldn't have known they'd be nabbing Sestito later as a replacement, so it's a little surprising that they didn't use the injured reserve to protect their assets, however minor they might be.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, it's strange. I don't see why they couldn't have put Kesler on IR to facilitate what needed to be done. It's a minor enough impact to the team that it's not really a big deal, but obviously you don't want them to just lose forward depth for nothing like that so hopefully in future we don't see this happening again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->