Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1657751377843.png

1657751447281.png

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Cool. Are these posters relatives of yours per chance?
So these guys are all just writing off Vrana?! The guy looks like a legit sniper unleashed so far. Who is to say Copp can not play off his skill set, play solid defense, and they both shine

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
So these guys are all just writing off Vrana?! The guy looks like a legit sniper unleashed so far. Who is to say Copp can not play off his skill set, play solid defense, and they both shine

Regardless of exactly how the lines shake up, or what trades we may still make this summer, we'll be putting Vrana next to more talent next year than we have so far in Detroit. That's a really exciting prospect to me.

Next year I think we see two legitimate scoring lines in Detroit for the first time in ages. That also let's us slot some guys into a third line role who are probably better suited for that as well. Exciting stuff.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Regardless of exactly how the lines shake up, or what trades we may still make this summer, we'll be putting Vrana next to more talent next year than we have so far in Detroit. That's a really exciting prospect to me.

Next year I think we see two legitimate scoring lines in Detroit for the first time in ages. That also let's us slot some guys into a third line role who are probably better suited for that as well. Exciting stuff.
I'm definitely psyched right now. Are these guys the 'premier' free agents this season... No of course not. But it is a step in the right direction. We are building a team, and for the first off season in several years we seem to be adding players with the intention that they fill roles, or properly fill, roles higher up in the line up. I remember being a teenager watching the ESPN news ticker show Hasek signing with the Wings. I'm ready for the off season to be fun as a fan again

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Faceoffs last 2 seasons

Copp - 53.1% (+900 faceoffs)
Larkin - 51.2% (+1900 faceoffs)
Rasmussen - 48.9% (+1100 faceoffs)
Veleno - 48.4% (+500 faceoffs)
Suter - 46.7% (+1600 faceoffs)

It usually cumulates, when you get better Top faceoffs guy tha your former one. Everybody will learn from the better guy. And former 1st Larkin will face easier 2nd guy from opposite team, Rasmussen will get easier 3rd guy instead of the 2nd... etc.

We could see everybody's percentage rise. Also all are young and developing against experienced faceoff guys.

Reactions: Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don't love the money, as 5 is more than fair for him, but UFA's always get more than they should. Much better than signing another Suter type to try at 2C.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
sleeping on this, my original reaction was offbase a bit

i dont like it for 5.65 or 5.75 whatever he got.
but if im only off by 750k/1m, then f it..

just want us to win some games and get the kids eager for the next level.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Reading this thread, sadly, I'm sure he'll be soon be the whipping boy. As was another favourite of mine and Michigan local, Justin Abdelkader. Very similar players. Abdelkader a bit more gritty, Copp a bit more durable and better against the puck but pretty much identical style and talent wise. Peak scoring output similar as well. Never understood all the Abdelkader hate but with the contract Copp signed and the expectations here in this thread he'll face the same as Abdelkader. Mark my words.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Reading this thread, sadly, I'm sure he'll be soon be the whipping boy. As was another favourite of mine and Michigan local, Justin Abdelkader. Very similar players. Abdelkader a bit more gritty, Copp a bit more durable and better against the puck but pretty much identical style and talent wise. Peak scoring output similar as well. Never understood all the Abdelkader hate but with the contract Copp signed and the expectations here in this thread he'll face the same as Abdelkader. Mark my words.

A big part of the Abby issue was the 7 years far more than the cap hit.

5 years falls more into that range where if he's underperforming, you're only dealing with 1-2 dud seasons in his 30s rather than another 3-4.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Didn't you say Damien Brunner > Roman Josi in another one of our threads?

I am skeptical of your words...

images

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Didn't you say Damien Brunner > Roman Josi in another one of our threads?

I am skeptical of your words...

images
Where did I say that? I find that hard to believe. Skill/talentwise maybe but Brunner's hockey IQ is rather low and he had zero desire to get better all career long. Tough to play with and versus the best with that mindset.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Where did I say that? I find that hard to believe. Skill/talentwise maybe but Brunner's hockey IQ is rather low and he had zero desire to get better all career long. Tough to play with and versus the best with that mindset.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So I never said what you claimed I did. Brunner has better hands, a better skillset than Josi and any other Swiss born player. That's what I said. Not that he's a better player. If he was, he'd still be in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So I never said what you claimed I did. Brunner has better hands, a better skillset than Josi and any other Swiss born player. That's what I said. Not that he's a better player. If he was, he'd still be in the NHL.
Better hands and a better skill set than a defenseman that almost just put up 100 pts?

K.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Better hands and a better skill set than a defenseman that almost just put up 100 pts?

K.
Look. I like Josi but I told you already he's not the most gifted or most physical defensemen in the game. He's the smartest and the most consistent. That's why he's this good. He rarely ever makes mistakes but he's gonna punish you for every mistake you make. And he's an incredible skater, not just in terms of speed. When looking at his hands though there's lots of way more gifted players. Not just Mr.Brunner who, as a forward, is a bad comparison anyway. Goes to show that talent alone doesn't get you anywhere though.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Serious question:
Strome 1x3.5 or Copp 5x5.6?
Copp better play better for the Wings than he has ever played his entire life to justify this contract...

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Serious question:
Copp better play better for the Wings than he has ever played his entire life to justify this contract...
Strome is more of consistent point producer, but some will argue thats because he's on a line with Patty Kane (then again Copp was with Panarin). I personally think thats a much better value signing with Strome.

I've said this before but it will all come down to if we're getting 2020-2022 Copp who was a 40+ point producer, or 2015-2019 Copp who averaged around 25 points a season, in which case this will be Nielsen all over again.

It's a risky signing regardless.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Strome is more of consistent point producer, but some will argue thats because he's on a line with Patty Kane (then again Copp was with Panarin). I personally think thats a much better value signing with Strome.

I've said this before but it will all come down to if we're getting 2020-2022 Copp who was a 40+ point producer, or 2015-2019 Copp who averaged around 25 points a season, in which case this will be Nielsen all over again.

It's a risky signing regardless.
Yes. I would have preferred smaller contracts because this team is a bubble team at best. Hopefully he plays great. But between him and Chiarot I'm worried we will get f***ed with these contracts in the future...

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Copp is so much more versatile than Abdelkader or Nielsen. He can play C or W and both PP and PK from the 2nd line on down. If Kasper breaks out, he can slot down to make room for him, or even play on a line with him. Yeah, maybe you don't love the money if he's in a 3rd line role, but he would still be a good fit there.

There's a reason NYR went out and got him.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Serious question:

If Copp plays the way he did the last two seasons, you’ll probably be singing his praises. That’s the thing with free agency, usually the contracts are given based on the hope that they are the best version of themselves. Sometimes they aren’t. That’s the game we are playing.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Serious question:

Copp 10 times out of 10. Anyone saying Strome hasn't watched that dude. Slow skater. Piss poor defensively. Soft and poor work ethic. There's a reason that Chicago didn't qualify him for 3.6 million.

Yes. I would have preferred smaller contracts because this team is a bubble team at best. Hopefully he plays great. But between him and Chiarot I'm worried we will get f***ed with these contracts in the future...

Smaller contracts mean less points. Then Detroit isn't on the bubble. They're in the hunt for 12th overall. As it stands now Detroit probably finishes 4th in the Atlantic and 16th best in the league to 10th best. WAR rankings show that a healthy Detroit roster is good for 101 points. Could be even better if Edvinsson is half the rookie Seider is and Berggren rightfully steals Zadina's roster spot.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm trying to connect the dots on what the theme of this thread might be... Hmm... Don't tell me, I'll figure it out...

broken-record-show.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad