Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp to Detroit | 5 years @ $5.6M

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah I do get that. I did see every minute of the NY vs Tampa series. Didn't exactly focus on Copp thinking we would be possibly signing him though lol.

Obviously a lot of NY fans are saying he isn't an ideal 2C but we know how down on players people get just because they aren't perfect or simply because they didn't resign him.

I do think your right that Vrana and Perron could be pretty ideal linemates. Hopefully that line does work out. Will be an interesting season that is for sure. This off-season is already driving me crazy, so much to see. If Edvinsson makes it, looking forward to seeing how Berggren and Soderblom do even if it's in GR, if Kasper takes any steps in Rogle, obviously the Wings in general. Man, I atleast need the WJC to get here!

New York fans loved him until the team lost. That's the way it goes.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
New York fans loved him until the team lost. That's the way it goes.
And until they signed his replacement to a longer contract for more money even though all the analysts were calling Copp the better player.

Rags fans went on the defensive after that

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And until they signed his replacement to a longer contract for more money even though all the analysts were calling Copp the better player.

Rags fans went on the defensive after that
I think we got a player that fits really well with what we have and is on a better contract, but I don’t think we got the better player. (Not sure what analyst said otherwise)

Guess we’ll find out this upcoming season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think we got a player that fits really well with what we have and is on a better contract, but I don’t think we got the better player. (Not sure what analyst said otherwise)

Depends on what you want I guess. Trocheck is the better scorer and better Center but not necessarily the better player. Trocheck is gritty as well but he's small and not gonna win as many battles as Copp and he isn't as strong on the puck as Copp. So Copp is the much better shutdown player and he looks to be more durable as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

On free agent frenzy basically every analyst said that copp is the better player and they had him ranked higher on their free agent lists. I believe it was Poulin who was shocked that Trocheck a worse player signed for more term and money while older and couldnt wrap his head around it

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
On free agent frenzy basically every analyst said that copp is the better player and they had him ranked higher on their free agent lists. I believe it was Poulin who was shocked that Trocheck a worse player signed for more term and money while older and couldnt wrap his head around it
I mean Trocheck has put up 75 pts in the league. Don’t think Copp is capable of that. Really this last year is the only year they have had similar numbers, and it’s not like Trocheck isn’t a good 2 way player. Trocheck has much better career numbers.

Sounds like some recency bias possibly there, and I’ll disagree with their assessment.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I mean Trocheck has put up 75 pts in the league. Don’t think Copp is capable of that. Really this last year is the only year they have had similar numbers, and it’s not like Trocheck isn’t a good 2 way player. Trocheck has much better career number.

Sounds like some recency bias possibly there, and I’ll disagree with their assessment.

Trocheck was my #1 2-way 2C target. Have wanted him on our team since his FLA days.

However it's so close b/w these 2 now.

Copp:

Defense -slight edge to Copp, due to size
FO -slight edge to Copp iirc?
height
weight
reach
Durability
1yr younger
2yrs less term. (3 total yrs less risk b/c of age diff.& VT's 7yr term)
Larkin's bud & former C/teammate

Detractors: isn't fluent in Hungarian

Trocheck:

Offense
X-factor Near ppg capable if all aligns in his favor

Detractors: not Larkin's bud, nor teammate, from Pittsburgh hahaha!

both cost $5.625m AAV = good value (5yrs for DET, 4yrs for NYR+3yrs Risk)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I mean Trocheck has put up 75 pts in the league. Don’t think Copp is capable of that. Really this last year is the only year they have had similar numbers, and it’s not like Trocheck isn’t a good 2 way player. Trocheck has much better career numbers.

Trocheck is pretty good against the puck in terms of positioning and he does win faceoffs as well. The problem is his lack of size for the gritty style he likes to play. Also, durbility has become a real issue for Trocheck whereas Copp seems to have no problem playing big minutes in all situations.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Trocheck is pretty good against the puck in terms of positioning and he does win faceoffs as well. The problem is his lack of size for the gritty style he likes to play. Also, durbility has become a real issue for Trocheck whereas Copp seems to have no problem playing big minutes in all situations.
the-office-dwight-schrute.gif

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

You'll see this a lot with Trocheck. He gets flattened like this a lot and the lack of size hurts him along the boards and in other puck battles. Would be a great player if he was just that little bit bigger.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Trocheck is a pretty streaky player, so he does run hot and cold throughout the season. You kind of worry about some of those guys come post-season time, because a real bad cold streak might put you out. I think Trocheck's best is better than Copp. I also think on their long-term deals, Copp can transition down to shutdown 3rd liner or out on the wing in roles that help him age better. Trocheck was a right-handed center though, that interested me. We will have to see, to date though you have a hard time selling me on the fact Copp has been better than Trocheck at this point in their careers, Vinny has a higher offensive output and has at times been the line driver. Also while Trocheck has been banged up, Copp plays an abrasive game that also has a toll over the long-term. He is smart about playing his heavy game, he shows awareness there in my opinion.

I am curious to see how LeLonde deploys Copp. His versatility is really a huge selling point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Trocheck is a pretty streaky player, so he does run hot and cold throughout the season. You kind of worry about some of those guys come post-season time, because a real bad cold streak might put you out. I think Trocheck's best is better than Copp. I also think on their long-term deals, Copp can transition down to shutdown 3rd liner or out on the wing in roles that help him age better. Trocheck was a right-handed center though, that interested me. We will have to see, to date though you have a hard time selling me on the fact Copp has been better than Trocheck at this point in their careers, Vinny has a higher offensive output and has at times been the line driver. Also while Trocheck has been banged up, Copp plays an abrasive game that also has a toll over the long-term. He is smart about playing his heavy game, he shows awareness there in my opinion.

I am curious to see how LeLonde deploys Copp. His versatility is really a huge selling point.

I don't disagree with most of what you said but just keep in mind that Copp was drafted 2013, Trocheck in 2011 and entered the league a year earlier. Also, while Trocheck's offensive output may have been higher, he couldn't do what Copp did in Winnipeg for years. Him and Lowry were like really good and effective despite not scoring much. I think as a duo they were always plus players despite starting many shifts in their own zone vs top competition.

I agree re versatility but I just hope Lalonde isn't gonna use Copp the way this board wants him to. That, in my view, would be a huge mistake.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't disagree with most of what you said but just keep in mind that Copp was drafted 2013, Trocheck in 2011 and entered the league a year earlier. Also, while Trocheck's offensive output may have been higher, he couldn't do what Copp did in Winnipeg for years. Him and Lowry were like really good and effective despite not scoring much. I think as a duo they were always plus players despite starting many shifts in their own zone vs top competition.

I agree re versatility but I just hope Lalonde isn't gonna use Copp the way this board wants him to. That, in my view, would be a huge mistake.
He is fine in a 2C role until Kasper is ready, he then can kick out to the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad