Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp to Detroit | 5 years @ $5.6M

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
Hey, at least @Hinterland drives discussion. I'd plug him into a message board's 2nd line center role any day of the week.
If that's what you're expecting from him, you're going to be sorely disappointed. He has never filled that role in his life, save for a very small sample size recently. Unless you pair him with a superstar poster on his wing. He just doesn't have the skillet to play that kind of role. And I say that as one of his biggest fans.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If that's what you're expecting from him, you're going to be sorely disappointed. He has never filled that role in his life, save for a very small sample size recently. Unless you pair him with a superstar poster on his wing. He just doesn't have the skillet to play that kind of role. And I say that as one of his biggest fans.
Clearly he's more of a 2-way C that's physical in all 3 zones vs. a skilled play driver C. Y'all didn't read the scouting report?

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

That's not fair to say. He drives offense at a pretty good clip.

For example, every post of his in this thread, I have found very offensive.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Don’t you dare put him as my center. We have no chemistry

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'll be his wingman, I can play either side.... of an argument.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
only if you’re my other winger ogee

After all the posts I've made I've lost some mobility. Now I'm only a defensive D that cleans up our end of the forum when the pro tank crowd start spamming that stuff and make life miserable for the opposition. We're going to pair you with @ButtKrak . He's got a lot of veteran experience but still has some tread on the tires.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He does things so well, he never even gets noticed.

For instance, I haven't read a single thing he's posted in this thread.
Exactly, he makes the little plays that fly under the radar, that every team needs in order to win. You don't notice him b/c he's usually taking shifts off, even when he's making a statement within a game or in this case, a thread. See, logic.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If you wanna do a pissing contest to make fun of me that's fine. I have no problem with it. By now I also understand you have sky high expectations for this signing and don't wanna hear from people who actually watched the player over the years. That's fine with me as well. The one thing I don't wanna see though is any of you shit on the player if he doesn't meet your expectations. Another Abdelkader situation would seriously upset me and if I see any of it in any thread I'll bump this one but for now I'll leave you with this.

Reactions: 14ari13

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If you wanna do a pissing contest to make fun of me that's fine. I have no problem with it. By now I also understand you have sky high expectations for this signing and don't wanna hear from people who actually watched the player over the years. That's fine with me as well. The one thing I don't wanna see though is any of you shit on the player if he doesn't meet your expectations. Another Abdelkader situation would seriously upset me and if I see any of it in any thread I'll bump this one but for now I'll leave you with this.
I think it's possible that Copp had little to no creativity/playmaking while in Winnipeg, and yet might have started to grow into a more balanced role with some additional offense since then.

Let's just see how it plays out, but Vrana and Perron are some pretty decent linemates to get him scoring at least to some extent.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
I thought we were talking about Copp? Who were you guys talking about??

• Haha
Reactions: jaster

Hillbillywingsfan

Nov 12, 2009
Austin, Tx
please don't bump this. I don't know what we would do if you did that. You are going right to the nuke button if you do that. Give us all a little leeway....

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I don't care if Copp lacks creativity. He plays smart, effective, up and down hockey.
This isn't Abdelkader, who had like 2 goals in 50 games before Babcock put him on line 1.
Copp is a legit top 6/9 forward.
He's a better skater than Abby and a better playmaker.
Remember when the Wings tried Abby at C? I wanted to gouge my eyes out running Helm as 3C and Abby as 4C.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

I've watched him in Winnipeg a ton for a couple seasons, but not so much by the time he started taking on 2nd line roles.

I'm trying to be optimistic that he's still growing and could be adaquete at the role. Obviously that does actually happen with some players. But I definitely agree that there is a very good chance all of these guys who are high on the signing will be dissapointed within a year or two.

Copp is a good player, but we are expecting him to perform in a big way as a 2C. We also don't exactly have Crosby as our 1C, which also increases the need of having a 2C perform at a pretty high level.

At the end of the day, I'm putting my hopes and dreams on Kasper being our 2c in a couple seasons from now and Copp being a good utility player for us. Filling any gaps at winger within the top 6, playing 3C and filling in for our 1-2Cs during injury. As many Winnipeg and NYR fans have mentioned, I think that's really what he is ideally suited for. But again, I'm not going to rule him out and just going to remain open minded until we get a real look at him with our team and role. He definitely is a lot better player than Abdelkator though 🤣

Reactions: Hillbillywingsfan

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've watched him in Winnipeg a ton for a couple seasons, but not so much by the time he started taking on 2nd line roles.

I'm trying to be optimistic that he's still growing and could be adaquete at the role. Obviously that does actually happen with some players. But I definitely agree that there is a very good chance all of these guys who are high on the signing will be dissapointed within a year or two.

Copp is a good player, but we are expecting him to perform in a big way as a 2C. We also don't exactly have Crosby as our 1C, which also increases the need of having a 2C perform at a pretty high level.

At the end of the day, I'm putting my hopes and dreams on Kasper being our 2c in a couple seasons from now and Copp being a good utility player for us. Filling any gaps at winger within the top 6, playing 3C and filling in for our 1-2Cs during injury. As many Winnipeg and NYR fans have mentioned, I think that's really what he is ideally suited for. But again, I'm not going to rule him out and just going to remain open minded until we get a real look at him with our team and role. He definitely is a lot better player than Abdelkator though 🤣
There has been some evolution between that player you saw on Winnipeg a few years back and who he has been the last 2 seasons.

He literally just got done playing as a 2nd liner on a playoff team, and did well in doing so. Also NYR has a 1C of a very similar quality as we do.

He is coming off back to back 20+ goal 50+ point campaigns. He has good possession and faceoff numbers. He's not necessarily "my type" as a hockey player, but I remember watching NYR several times thinking "Oh he's actually pretty good, he could play on my team".

If he gets to play with Vrana and Perron, I don't think he will have an issue matching his point production over the last 2 seasons. As long as he does that and plays solid defensively, I don't think people will be disappointed with him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
There has been some evolution between that player you saw on Winnipeg a few years back and who he has been the last 2 seasons.

He literally just got done playing as a 2nd liner on a playoff team, and did well in doing so. Also NYR has a 1C of a very similar quality as we do.

He is coming off back to back 20+ goal 50+ point campaigns. He has good possession and faceoff numbers. He's not necessarily "my type" as a hockey player, but I remember watching NYR several times thinking "Oh he's actually pretty good, he could play on my team".

If he gets to play with Vrana and Perron, I don't think he will have an issue matching his point production over the last 2 seasons. As long as he does that and plays solid defensively, I don't think people will be disappointed with him.
that line should mesh well. Copp & Perron being solid 2-way guys, big-enough bodied, 1 RHS b/w them to score/feed 1-timers amongst the line, Cup vet etc. Vrana's speed & creating scoring chances that come from outta nowhere is a nice complement to Copp's N/S drive the middle lanes to the net game. Perron can go E/W, but also N/S. Both will help cover for Vroom-Vroom's defense in DZ/NZ. I don't imagine the 3 will grind down low in OZ often, as Vroom isn't built for that, but 10-20sec.+ of cycling & boom Vrana finds the open spot & scores on a 1-timer from Perron/Copp, all day & all of the night.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

Yeah I do get that. I did see every minute of the NY vs Tampa series. Didn't exactly focus on Copp thinking we would be possibly signing him though lol.

Obviously a lot of NY fans are saying he isn't an ideal 2C but we know how down on players people get just because they aren't perfect or simply because they didn't resign him.

I do think your right that Vrana and Perron could be pretty ideal linemates. Hopefully that line does work out. Will be an interesting season that is for sure. This off-season is already driving me crazy, so much to see. If Edvinsson makes it, looking forward to seeing how Berggren and Soderblom do even if it's in GR, if Kasper takes any steps in Rogle, obviously the Wings in general. Man, I atleast need the WJC to get here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark