Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp, 6th for Barron, Cond. 2nd, 2nd, 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It does seem likely he will re-sign with the Rangers. It would make it more palatable.
Based on what? The only thing I've read is that he wants to test the market and get the maximum contract. And that's certainly his right. I'm not suggesting he won't re-sign with the Rangers, but if he does it will be for close to market value.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
He's about to be 26 and has a career high of 15 points. For whatever reason, he's never been able to establish himself as a quality third liner, let alone a quality second liner. He has exactly 8 career playoff games with more than 13 minutes time on ice. He has exactly 4 playoff games with more than 14 minutes time on ice. His playoff Corsi is poor in both 19-20 and 20-21. It was solid all the way back in 18-19.

His ppg this year was 0.29 before he was injured. Our third line, now that we have a decent third line, averages 0.33 ppg, 0.40 ppg, and 0.68 ppg. Our fourth line averages 0.25 ppg, 0.31 ppg, and 0.13 ppg (the last one being Brodzinski).

Blais is a plus fourth liner, and a middle of the road (if not low-end) third liner. Always has been and likely always will be.

I certainly wouldn't put him on our third line over anyone on it now and it's only getting worse in comparison for Blais when Kakko returns.

I think you are overselling his value to a team because Chris Drury traded Pavel Buchnevich for him.
Am I though? I was responding to a poster who thinks he is basically useless which he is not. The trade has nothing to do with it. I never said he was McDavid but he certainly can play in this league. I said he was a solid NHLer and bottom six guy, which he is. The reason he hasn't scored a lot is because he has often been injured. I said if he remains healthy I could see him scoring 25-30 points which would be solid production for a bottom six guy. In 19-20/20-21 years he played a total of 76 games and had a combined 28 points. His biggest problem is staying healthy. St Louis fans liked him a lot and thought he was a big part of their stanley cup run. I agree with you on the current state of our roster and recent additions. I honestly would rather them sign Copp, Motte, and Varano instead and not sign Blais because of his injury concerns but teams will be interested in signing him if we choose not to.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Holy cow, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of not qualifying Blais. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but he was looking fantastic with Panarin-Strome. Was showing spurts of top6 talent, which is above and beyond what would be required to justify a QO.

And Drury liked him enough to target him in a trade. Not a chance is he going to pass on keeping now.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Am I though? I was responding to a poster who thinks he is basically useless which he is not.

Perhaps I mistakenly read your post as advocating him as a middle sixer.

I want him on the fourth line next year, or not at all. Absent big changes, that third line should be guys like Chytil, Goodrow, maybe Kravtsov. I would rather Vatrano than Blais too.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This may be a scenario, with the flat cap, where Drury and the Blais camp come to some sort of an agreement where the player signs a 2 year deal to get some security after a bad injury and the team finds a way to get the player slightly under his QO. Say 2 year deal at $1.35m. I could see that being beneficial to both parties.

Blais must understand that knee injuries can oftentimes take over a full year to fully recover which means next year may be a bit bumpy. Getting that additional season of security in terms of real dollars may seem trivial for us sitting in front of our phones/computers but worst case scenario could be that Blais never returns to form and that additional $1.35m is the difference of him retiring at 50 or 60 from a second career.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Already clearly has chemistry with bread. Cannot wait to see him around Kakko too. Oh, and can't wait to see this guy in the playoffs.

Give him the Strome dollars, package Chytil up. We'll figure the rest out.

Great deal and he just fits so well on this team.

Interesting how, yet again, every center to play with Panarin happens to have chemistry with him. Maybe it's not this magical thing that Strome has.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
So far so great. A very well rounded player but his offensive awareness has been even better than anticipated. Even better is he looks like he’s having fun playing with this group. We know his relationship with Trouba, but I give a lot of credit to Drury for continuing to fortify the locker room. Same with Vatrano.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Copp reminds me of Jordan Staal. Size, hands can skate, plays in every situation. I think he mustve been underutilized in Winnipeg because he clearly looks like a top 6 caliber player with us. Id give him 4-5 years with ~5 AAV without hesitation.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Imagine Drury giving up on Blais a year after trading Buchnevich for him and a 2nd (which we already traded away in a rental deal).

No way Drury lets that happen.
Rangers refuse to give up on Hajek but they let Blais walk away? We all know organizations will double down on bad decisions before moving on.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
Copp reminds me of Jordan Staal. Size, hands can skate, plays in every situation. I think he mustve been underutilized in Winnipeg because he clearly looks like a top 6 caliber player with us. Id give him 4-5 years with ~5 AAV without hesitation.
I think the Jets org had a hard time seeing him as a real top 6 because he came up into the league projected as a career defensive forward. It's not as often guys make this significant shift especially at the NHL level. His offensive game just kept improving but Jets org still has in their head that he's not a true top 6, but more someone who can fill in nicely when there are injuries. Sounds like Jets tried to get him locked in at 5 years x 4M, but he wanted that number to be closer to 5M. A top 6 guy who can play in any situation offensively or defensively and is well respected in the locker room should be a welcome addition to any team. Good luck on your playoff run!

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

I think the Jets org had a hard time seeing him as a real top 6 because he came up into the league projected as a career defensive forward. It's not as often guys make this significant shift especially at the NHL level. His offensive game just kept improving but Jets org still has in their head that he's not a true top 6, but more someone who can fill in nicely when there are injuries. Sounds like Jets tried to get him locked in at 5 years x 4M, but he wanted that number to be closer to 5M. A top 6 guy who can play in any situation offensively or defensively and is well respected in the locker room should be a welcome addition to any team. Good luck on your playoff run!

i can't say that his skills themselves have impressed me,
but his reliable (so far) ability to make the right, simple play, the right decisions, under pressure, to keep the offense flowing,
seems to me, that has been what has led to his effectiveness and his production

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

I'd give him 5x5 with no regerts.

He may or may not be PLD level offense but his 3 zone, heavy game is exactly what we lacked with Zibanejad/Strome as our 1/2.

Since Ziba is the far better asset, then Strome was replaceable. You absolutely cannot go deep into the SCF with two finesse Centers, especially when the wings aren't exactly Lucic and Perry types.

Copp isn't as sexy a name as PLD, Larkin, or Barkov, but as a 2c, with the wing support and puck moving ability we have on Defence, I'll take a guy like Copp any year, period, in a cap world.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
What I like about Copp at C is that he plays totally different from Strome, I'm really interested to see him more in all situations, 2nd line minutes, pp etc. Strome is a more talented offensive player, better shot and passing ability, but good teams seem to shut him down 5v5 whereas Copps's simpler game could be more consistent. I'd be interested in a Panarin-Copp-Kakko line, it would be so much better defensively.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I wasn't thrilled about him but watching him play he is just a solid solid hockey player. A tenacious guy too. Reminds me a bit of Drury himself although Drury was more talented. That said he is the kind of guy who helps you win games. He's been a great addition.
I said the same thing. Makes a lot of little plays but smart key plays. I hope he is resigned here long term in fact I prefer him over Strome, more of a complete player.

Reactions: hn777

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
rounders-pay-that-man-his-money.gif

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Good luck with our 1st rounder hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad