Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp, 6th for Barron, Cond. 2nd, 2nd, 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think him not resigning is a very real possibility. I just can't see Drury agreeing to pay the guy > 5 million after he balked at Buch for just slightly more than that. We'll see I guess

Hoping Blais' return will mitigate the loss a little but losing Barron and a two 2nds for 20 games of Copp will unquestionable suck... hard.
Buch isn't a center. We'll see if Copp can be the #2 center next to Panarin.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Really refreshing to add two guys like Copp and Motte who are two big fan favorites with their respective clubs. You usually trade for a guy and all you hear is the negatives about their games and how half the fanbase is relieved they're gone. Fully appreciate the Jets fans for coming in and giving us really good information about what to expect from our newest acquisition.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we look at comparables, it’s RNH, Danault, Coyle for both Strome and Copp. Perhaps Copp gets slightly less. The Rangers will need to determine if they’re okay trading term for a lower cap hit. They did this with Goodrow already.

With the cap going up in a couple of years, probably drastically once the players pay the owners back, a 6 year deal at a reasonable cap hit of $4.75-5m is where I’d at least start the bidding for Copp. Strome is probably $5.25-5.75m on a similar 6 year deal somewhere.

I’m curious if Drury targets Motte on a medium term deal. The Rangers were interested in Hathaway when he was a UFA. Same with Ferland. I could see a 4-5 year term to keep the cap hit at or under $2m.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'm likely in the minority here, but I don't like the Copp trade. I like the player and what he can do, but not the return going back. I don't like the conditions for the 2nd round picks, Barron was either misused or not used at all. He has more upside than any of the AHL scrubs the Rangers have playing in their bottom 6, the same players most of us have been screaming shouldn't be playing ahead of him.

I know it's unlikely the NYR get to the ECF, making that 2nd rd pick a 1st, but still. I don't mind if the first goes this year, but next year the draft is supposed to be better; I'd rather keep that if possible. That's a steep price for a rental. Just my opinion.

BTW; I thought their other moves today were fine. Added needed depth.
It’s okay being wrong

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I very much like his no-nonsense approach to the game but I have a strong hunch he's going to price himself out of here. I'd love to be in his shoes though - gets to finish his season playing big minutes for a contender and simultaneously boosting his value by playing with world class players.

Reactions: hn777 and egelband

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You can already tell Copp has fit in seamlessly. I dont think hell give the Rangers any sort of discount but i fully expect both sides to come to a fair agreement. He gets to be a big part of a real contention window in NY with his best friend and the Rangers replace Strome on & off the ice with a better all around player at a similar price. Win-win

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He's looked solid out there. He's not a major play driver, but the puck doesn't die on his stick either. He's got scoring touch, forechecks aggressively, wins face-offs, and doesn't cough up the puck. Honestly, he does kinda remind me of Buchnevich on the right side.

*shrug*

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm likely in the minority here, but I don't like the Copp trade. I like the player and what he can do, but not the return going back. I don't like the conditions for the 2nd round picks, Barron was either misused or not used at all. He has more upside than any of the AHL scrubs the Rangers have playing in their bottom 6, the same players most of us have been screaming shouldn't be playing ahead of him.

I know it's unlikely the NYR get to the ECF, making that 2nd rd pick a 1st, but still. I don't mind if the first goes this year, but next year the draft is supposed to be better; I'd rather keep that if possible. That's a steep price for a rental. Just my opinion.

If it makes you feel any better it's unlikely we get past Carolina in the second round.

Reactions: Cuckoo4Kakko

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

Barron isnt even Winnepegs NHL team. He is playing in the AHL for them too. He will not be missed.

Also the first eounder for next year is not in play for this trade. We currently own it no matter what.

Only the second rounder next year is in play if WPG chooses to swap this years for next years.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Buch isn't a center. We'll see if Copp can be the #2 center next to Panarin.
The return of Blais signals one thing: he will soon be hurt again. Unsure why people are talking about him, he played 14 games. If they re-sign him it
'll be under 1M... ANYWHERE

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Barron isnt even Winnepegs NHL team. He is playing in the AHL for them too. He will not be missed.

Also the first eounder for next year is not in play for this trade. We currently own it no matter what.

Only the second rounder next year is in play if WPG chooses to swap this years for next years.
why?

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

Bc he is what 23 or 24 and cant crack an nhl roster. Also not the fastest skater. He will be a 4th liner that maybe can play a little third line once in a while, if he even sticks at all in the nhl which is no sure bet.

Certainly nothing that is irreplaceable. While i would like to have kept him to see if he can develop. I will not miss him and have no problem in him being the prospect included in this trade.

Reactions: haveandare

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The return of Blais signals one thing: he will soon be hurt again. Unsure why people are talking about him, he played 14 games. If they re-sign him it
'll be under 1M... ANYWHERE
Blais has a 1.6 mil QO. It's possible that he signs a multi-year deal for less, but unlikely.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

sorry i am not getting your concern about the picks parts of the deal

("..next year the draft is supposed to be better; I'd rather keep that if possible. That's a steep price for a rental.."
2023 1st is not in play here

2022 1st only goes if NYR playing in June'22, and then the 2022 NYR 2nd returns to NYR

the other conditional 2nd just lets Jets choose a 2nd either '22(StL) or '23(NYR)

I'd kinda rather have kept Barron, acquisitions have costs.
And late season, there are always injuries.
I feel they didn't overpay by much, and deepened the roster with tough games in mind.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
If it makes you feel any better it's unlikely we get past Carolina in the second round.
Whether they do or not is not my point. It's that its in the deal to begin with. I'm in the minority on this, I know. Just my view. It is what it is; Copp has played well; I'm glad. Now, move on to the rest of the season, however long it lasts, whatever happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad