Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp, 6th for Barron, Cond. 2nd, 2nd, 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
they are also both elite, so you take your chance on elite players more so than mid 6 guys looking for their big payday entering ufa. those type of players aren't comparable to copp, it's just silly

a) They would get a bigger pay day than Copp would get.

b) Them being elite doesn't make them less likely to get a concussion. The point is they've been relatively healthy (knock on wood) the last few years.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
a) They would get a bigger pay day than Copp would get.

b) Them being elite doesn't make them less likely to get a concussion. The point is they've been relatively healthy (knock on wood) the last few years.
You just skirted what I said with both your points.

Teams are more willing to take a chance on a player that has elite game breaking potential If they have an injury history then they generally do on a mid-six player who may have a similar injury history. History has demonstrated that repeatedly. It's not rocket science to figure out that elite players are more scarce so organizations are more likely to take a chance on them then middle six type players that are more abundant and can be more easily found generally. The same concept applies to when the cap is flat and there's less money to go around, elite players generally will still get paid as elite players while the average more middle six type players generally will get squeezed more

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Based on what? The only thing I've read is that he wants to test the market and get the maximum contract. And that's certainly his right. I'm not suggesting he won't re-sign with the Rangers, but if he does it will be for close to market value.
It's likely, but obviously, no guarantee he does re-sign. I'd wait to see how he does in the playoffs before making any long term decisions on him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Holy cow, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of not qualifying Blais. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but he was looking fantastic with Panarin-Strome. Was showing spurts of top6 talent, which is above and beyond what would be required to justify a QO.

And Drury liked him enough to target him in a trade. Not a chance is he going to pass on keeping now.
I recall him being good with Kreider - Zibanejad right until the injury. Very much reminded me of Buchnevich before the breakout with an additional physical edge.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Looks like he's fit in perfectly with you guys so far. I'll be on the Rangers band wagon this playoffs, Not going to lie, I want that 1st round pick badly and think with the additions you made at the TD, puts you in a very good position to win a few rounds. Solid top 6 and bottom 6 depth, really good back end and the obvious vezna winner in net, not sure what else you can ask for.

Copp's opportunities in the top 6 in WPG always felt as he was a place holder and never seemed like it was a permanent position. Lowry isn't as versatile, so Copp was always his wingman on the 3rd line. Those two were always a reliable pair and complemented each other perfectly and were able to shut down other top lines so he was pretty much stapled there. He wanted more ice time, but our top 6 wingers were Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine (before the trade) and Conner at the time, and his lack of opportunity at C meant he wasn't trusted to fill that 2C hole and had to compete with Statsny (at both w and C) and Little (before his injury) and PLD after the trade,

He's seems to continue developing his scoring touch and now has back to back career seasons, proving he belongs in the top 6. He does go streaks were his offense isn't there, but has a solid defensive game to fall back on and contributes there. I felt he was always underrated and overshadowed by our big name players. I'm not sure how much more offense there is for him to develop, but at worst I think he's an elite 3rd line C and depending on his wingers, an area where you are definitely not lacking, could be a very good all around 200ft 2C - depending on where his offense caps out at and if he can remain consistent offensively.

I think it's likely he resigns with you in the offseason. Many Jets fans felt NY was his likely destination the past few years when he seemed to be positioning himself to get to UFA. The only other team I could see him being interested in is Detroit since he's from Michigan, however not sure how motivated he would be to go there after multiple playoff runs in WPG and hopefully a deep run with NY, unless Yzerman throws stupid money at him. Good luck Ranger fans. Props on the stellar quick rebuild.
Great read - you’re welcome to post anytime.

A jumping off point for what I wanted to bring up - we keep talking about a fit with Panarin but how about looking at it (literally) from another IMO more important perspective - Copp would be a better center for Kakko than Strome.

Reactions: Pongs21

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd take 5x5 in a heart beat.

Would he go lower for longer term?

4M for Winnipeg isn't the most attractive deal. $4M is team friendly... but it's Winnipeg.
lol, yeah its Winnipeg. Our Achilles heel for trying to attract players. I get it, if i wasn't born here, i wouldn't be here either. But it does sound like he enjoyed it here, He said he wanted longterm & was looking for a house. I'd be very surprised if he did do 4M anywhere. Good luck on retaining him, looks like he's doing well for you so far.

Barron has looked good for us so far. small sample for NHL, but he played in our top 6 last night and actually showed really well, granted it was vs Montreal, but he got a goal & assist and made some really nice plays.

Reactions: nyr2k2

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
lol, yeah its Winnipeg. Our Achilles heel for trying to attract players. I get it, if i wasn't born here, i wouldn't be here either. But it does sound like he enjoyed it here, He said he wanted longterm & was looking for a house. I'd be very surprised if he did do 4M anywhere. Good luck on retaining him, looks like he's doing well for you so far.

Barron has looked good for us so far. small sample for NHL, but he played in our top 6 last night and actually showed really well, granted it was vs Montreal, but he got a goal & assist and made some really nice plays.
Great to hear Barron is doing well. It is great when a trade works out for both teams.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kakko and Nemeth’s money 👍

Nope.

In fact if they open up that space I can pretty much guarantee that it’ll be for an upgrade somewhere else. They’ve seemingly been trying to get rid of Strome for a while now. Had they landed Danault he would have been toast last summer. They got Copp now.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What he’ll get on 2nd contract

They can afford to sign Copp and Kakko. I'm not worried at all. They could squeeze in Motte but neither Vatrano nor Strome fit under the cap unless they take serious discounts or they dump a contract other bigger Chytil/Nemeth.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
They can afford to sign Copp and Kakko. I'm not worried at all. They could squeeze in Motte but neither Vatrano nor Strome fit under the cap unless they take serious discounts or they dump a contract other bigger Chytil/Nemeth.

Yes. Let me clarify. If the offseason were starting today, I think Drury will try to dump enough to keep Copp and Strome. I believe this maximizes lineup flexibility (center depth w/ Copp able to rotate) and potential for a Cup win over the next 3 seasons with our best players in their primes. I don't believe Chytil and Kakko are necessary for the future past that to be bright. Plus, getting prospects/picks in return for both of them will further re-stock the pipeline for a few years down the road.

Example from Roster Building Thread:

Panarin Strome Copp
Kreider Zibs Kravtsov/Other via trade
Lafreniere Goodrow Blais

I'm flexible, however, and subject to change my mind based on playoff performance. Perhaps Kakko or Chytil unexpectedly go nuts, then I would re-evaluate. I find that pretty unlikely.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes. Let me clarify. If the offseason were starting today, I think Drury will try to dump enough to keep Copp and Strome. I believe this maximizes lineup flexibility (center depth w/ Copp able to rotate) and potential for a Cup win over the next 3 seasons with our best players in their primes. I don't believe Chytil and Kakko are necessary for the future past that to be bright. Plus, getting prospects/picks in return for both of them will further re-stock the pipeline for a few years down the road.

Example from Roster Building Thread:

I'm flexible, however, and subject to change my mind based on playoff performance. Perhaps Kakko or Chytil unexpectedly go nuts, then I would re-evaluate. I find that pretty unlikely.

I don't see them moving on from Kakko. They're thin at RW as it is. What are they trading him for anyway? His value is low.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Reactions: EdJovanovski

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If the guys isn’t 100 percent for the playoffs I would be careful of giving him a long term deal. He is far from being an injury free concern. Hope he’s good to go and 100 percent

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
My lineup is stronger at RW with Copp there.
But you're also saying strome is better than KK.
Wrong
KK brings intangibles this team needs today, next year and 5 years from now
Strome is expendable(mainly because he SUX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino