Andrew Berkshire: Ranking the Top 20 Left Wingers in the NHL, by the Numbers

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Here's the list you get if you weight offence 80%, defense 10%, and transition 10% for LW using the same last 2,000 minutes played. Not exactly great (Tatar still ends up high; Marchand a bit low) but closer to who I think the best LW in the league are.

Benn
Forsberg
Pacioretty
Ovechkin
Hall
Nash
Tatar
Gaudreau
Skinner
Schwartz
Palat
Sedin, D
Hoffman
Steen
Foligno
Marchand
Sharp
Kunitz
Saad
Landeskog

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
The number of posters in this thread that does not understand what is being discussed :shakehead

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm starting to understand why these lists were released in the order that they were. If this is any indication, the defensemen list will be even more wildly contradictory to expectations based on the eye test.

What you don't want to see the Kings best defenseman Jake Muzzin #1? :P

Sarcasmemotehere

Jul 6, 2016
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ranking-top-20-left-wingers-nhl-numbers/

1. Benn
2. Forsberg
3. Pacioretty
4. Tatar
5. Hall
6. Marchand
7. Sedin, D
8. Gaudreau
9. Schwartz
10. Ovechkin
11. Hoffman
12. Palat
13. Nash
14. Foligno
15. Kunitz
16. Steen
17. Saad
18. Landeskog
19. Sharp
20. Skinner

OV is too low - should be top-two, and Foligno, way too high. Tatar, 4th ???? OMG...

I am waiting for his d-men standings... I am sure he put Subban as #1. And Weber out of his list.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
This thread personifies why I hate HFBoards sometimes. Everyone ***** all over something despite not reading it/not understanding it, and fails to provide any substantive response whatsoever.

The author even states this was simply one attempt to quantify top players using advanced stats and is in no way, shape or form definitive.

But instead of a thoughtful discussion of better ways to measure player value or even a discussion of things guys like Ovechkin might do that can't/aren't measured in stats, we just get a parade of idiots posting "lol dumb rankings didn't read."

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Interesting list, and it's nice that Berkshire acknowledges the fact that this ranking underrates Ovi's prolific goal scoring or he would obviously be higher up on the list.

Also as a Habs fan I'm happy to see Pacioretty getting the credit he deserves!

Not surprised. The author is a huge Habs fan.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If defense, offense and transition play is the criteria, Stone is better than Hoffman from this Sens fan.

No doubt that based on these 3 criteria combined, Stone is superior.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
But he uses hits as a component in each players' defensive score. Ovechkin should have like a 100% rating on this, surely hitting alone should give him a better score defensively than a lot of the players on the list. Regarding hitting, I believe it's a defensive skill just like poke checking. What's the difference between stripping the opponent of the puck by poking it away or separating him from the puck with a big hit like this?

To me, that's a great defensive play.

Do you have proof Ovechkin is doing this every single shift? The numbers don't support it.

I've argued with you before in another thread, Ovechkin spends most shifts in a game doing absolutely nothing productive. He will skate around and not touch a single player anywhere on the ice except a few shifts a game. If he doesn't get a shot off, you'll likely not even know he's on the ice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This thread personifies why I hate HFBoards sometimes. Everyone ***** all over something despite not reading it/not understanding it, and fails to provide any substantive response whatsoever.

The author even states this was simply one attempt to quantify top players using advanced stats and is in no way, shape or form definitive.

But instead of a thoughtful discussion of better ways to measure player value or even a discussion of things guys like Ovechkin might do that can't/aren't measured in stats, we just get a parade of idiots posting "lol dumb rankings didn't read."

My issue is more in the application and methodology than the idea behind what he was attempting to do.

I have no problem with him attempting to rank players using advanced stats. I just don't agree with some of the advanced stats categories he uses to evaluate the players in the respective attributes (offense, defense, transition).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Do you have proof Ovechkin is doing this every single shift? The numbers don't support it.

I've argued with you before in another thread, Ovechkin spends most shifts in a game doing absolutely nothing productive. He will skate around and not touch a single player anywhere on the ice except a few shifts a game. If he doesn't get a shot off, you'll likely not even know he's on the ice.

Good thing he can get over 15 shot attemps in some games. He could be more involved but he likes to play positional defense. In his own end, you'll mostly see him standing next to the opposing D to make sure the pass doesn't get to them, and he intervenes from time to time.

Some of the guys on the list though, they do literally nothing defensively, they just skate around until they get the breakout pass.

Some shifts you don't see him at all because all the action is happening across the ice on the RW.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He could've tweaked the ranking system to favour players he likes, he did create it.

If he did I doubt Ovi ends up at 10

If defense, offense and transition play is the criteria, Stone is better than Hoffman from this Sens fan.

Not based on the numbers

Pacioretty 3 .. Ovechkin 10 quality list:laugh:

OV is too low - should be top-two, and Foligno, way too high. Tatar, 4th ???? OMG...

I am waiting for his d-men standings... I am sure he put Subban as #1. And Weber out of his list.

Tatar, Foligno, and Kunitz shouldn't even be on the list.

Not sure this guy even watches hockey.

would anyone rather have tatar over gaudreau or ovechkin?

didn't think so

I'm guessing none of you read the article at all

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

This is just left wing rankings. Stone is in the Right Wing rankings, with both a higher rank and a higher overall score

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Did you read the article? It's not his opinion, he's ranking it purely off numbers.

It is his opinion though:help:

He picked which statistics to use, which ones not to use,how to weigh each statistic, how to break them into categories, how to weigh each category and these are his results. This list is his subjective interpretation of what these stats mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad