Andrew Berkshire: Ranking the Top 20 Left Wingers in the NHL, by the Numbers

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
at first, seeing Ovechkin at tenth I was like

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif

but then I saw Tatar at fourth and understood the article was a joke.

raw

Summed up nicely....

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'm surprised Parise didn't make the list. I would think he would rate highly in a lot of the areas they're measuring. While I don't think this is some kind of definitive list, it's interesting to see a different version of stats, and it'd be nice to see more players.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
The reaction in here is pretty classic :laugh:. Did you guys actually took time to read the articles? It's an interesting point of view and way of putting it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They got #1 right atleast. Also Ovechkin isn't as bad as 10th but he may not be top 3.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm not going to argue about Ovechkin's place on the list, but we should all agree that hits shouldn't be used as an indicator of how good someone is at defense. Hits alone don't lead to shot suppression or decreased defensive zone time. Hits in the NHL are recorded regardless of how effective they are.

But he uses hits as a component in each players' defensive score. Ovechkin should have like a 100% rating on this, surely hitting alone should give him a better score defensively than a lot of the players on the list. Regarding hitting, I believe it's a defensive skill just like poke checking. What's the difference between stripping the opponent of the puck by poking it away or separating him from the puck with a big hit like this?

To me, that's a great defensive play.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
But he uses hits as a component in each players' defensive score. Ovechkin should have like a 100% rating on this, surely hitting alone should give him a better score defensively than a lot of the players on the list. Regarding hitting, I believe it's a defensive skill just like poke checking. What's the difference between stripping the opponent of the puck by poking it away or separating him from the puck with a big hit like this?

To me, that's a great defensive play.

Cases like this are arguably better defensive plays than just simply poking the puck from someone or stripping it because it takes the opposing player out of the play almost entirely. Still though, Ovechkin overall is definitely below average defensively and the results reflect that in this analysis.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Cases like this are arguably better defensive plays than just simply poking the puck from someone or stripping it because it takes the opposing player out of the play almost entirely. Still though, Ovechkin overall is definitely below average defensively and the results reflect that in this analysis.

That's your opinion and I won't argue with it, but do you believe for a second that he should be dead last in that category? Some of the players on the list don't do anything at all defensively. Ovechkin does a few things and he doesn't hurt his team defensively.

I'm thinking he has a low score because the sample includes his dreadful year under Oates, and we all know how much he has progressed defensively under Trotz. I'd say he's average for a winger.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Well he uses his own weights on the scores from discussions he's had with his contributors and came up with the list. You can still use his data, come up with your own weight according to your preference, and possibly come out with a ranking that is what you would prefer for your wingers to have.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
The Capitals' system is designed for him to not have to carry the puck up the ice, that's Backstrom's job.
Coincidentally, in the top 20 C article, Backstrom was ranked as one of the best transition players in the league.

Regarding defense, I don't know how Ovechkin has such a low score. He hits far more than anybody else on the list and has good relative possession stats. He doesn't play the PK, maybe that's why.

In any case, the ranking also disregards the PP stats, where Ovechkin blows everyone out of the water. Too much emphasis on defense and transition, the winger's main role is to produce offense.

Certain center's in the center list had low defensive scores for not playing on the PK as well, so it's likely that's part of the reason.

And while I disagree with how relative hitting is in relation to defensive prowess, it's a valid point that a winger's traditional role is different in regards to defensive responsibilities and transitioning the puck up ice when compared to a center's, and if the numbers aren't accounting for this obvious discrepancy then they're not of much worth, or at least not without significant faults.

I did not however take the time to read if they were, so someone else feel free to correct me if so.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Ovechkin at 10. Panarin excluded while Chris Kunitz makes the list. Yeah, not worth reading.

If you actually read the article you'd see why it's that way

Defense really shouldn't hold this much weight for wingers. Their job is to score.

That's why it doesn't hold that much weight. Offense is almost 4x as important in this. Offense is out of 55 while defense is only at 15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad