Andrew Berkshire: Ranking the Top 20 Left Wingers in the NHL, by the Numbers

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
The center by the numbers list was fine. This one not so much

No way in hell that Ovechkin is below Pacioretty , Tatar , Forsberg and Schwartz. I understand that this count transitions , defense etc but Ovi scoring prowess counter balance all that imho

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
If wingers only job was to provide offense, why do lot of the top wingers have solid defensive game. Ovechkin basically floats in the defensive zone, good luck winning the cup with this guy as your captain.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Haven't read the article yet but surprised Steen falls so low defensively. He's usually very good. Must check criteria.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The center by the numbers list was fine. This one not so much

No way in hell that Ovechkin is below Pacioretty , Tatar , Forsberg and Schwartz. I understand that this count transitions , defense etc but Ovi scoring prowess counter balance all that imho

This here is key. While you may not like the list. It is statistically based...not opinion based.

Haven't read the article yet but surprised Steen falls so low defensively. He's usually very good. Must check criteria.

I was shocked too...considering the Blues use him in that role. Damn analytics

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
In order to get Ovechkin 2nd you have to adjust the weights past 80% for offence.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Interesting that Tatar is ranked so high here. He horrifically fails the eye test, for me at least. They say he has good hands, but all he does is turn the puck over whenever he tries to stickhandle. He cant dangle anyone. Hes a slow skater, and he cant win a single puck battle in a corner because he is so small.

That being said, Tatar is by far my least favorite player on the wings so my opinion is prob affected by confirmation bias

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Ultimately, these rankings also look at an overview of players. It's how good they are in a vacuum, in the average of circumstances. Someone like Benn is highly ranked because he can do everything, meaning he can fill any role on a line. Ovechkin isn't quite that well-rounded, but if you give him two-way linemates who can transport the puck then he can give you immense impact as a physical beast and as a goalscorer.

It doesn't really matter if Ovechkin would be twice as good at carrying the puck in the neutral zone. Bäckström would still do most of that, and it would still not really do much difference in how impactful he can be. It makes a difference in these rankings though. That becomes a huge factor here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
His method for arriving at a player's defense score seems questionable. When Taylor Hall is considered better defensively than guys like Forsberg, Steen, Palat and Nash among LWers, and Crosby, Giroux, Backstrom, Kopitar, and Toews among C, you know there's a problem with the valuation system, IMO.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Id love to hear how many games people have watched of every player on this list. Must have a ton of time on your hands to watch 82 games of 20 different players.

But yes your experience of watching 2 games of each team really gives you insight to rank players. Way more than objective stats do

this....so much this

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
His method for arriving at a player's defense score seems questionable. When Taylor Hall is considered better defensively than guys like Forsberg, Steen, Palat and Nash among LWers, and Crosby, Giroux, Backstrom, Kopitar, and Toews among C, you know there's a problem with the valuation system, IMO.

What's the problem? that it doesn't fit the general opinion? that isn't a problem

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
This here is key. While you may not like the list. It is statistically based...not opinion based.

I'm one of those who does not value a player based on advanced statistics alone. They are useful but not the end it all of hockey analysis.

If i had to pick a player based on that list alone i would have to pick Tatar over Gaudreau and Ovechkin. No way in hell i'd do that in real life and i doubt any gm would either.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's the problem? that it doesn't fit the general opinion? that isn't a problem

First off, you don't see a problem with Hall being considered better defensively than two guys who won Selke awards, and another half dozen guys who are in the running for the Selke in a given season?

Second, people who say "it's not the author's opinion, it's objective numbers" are wrong. The *numbers* may be right, but how the author *applies* them could very well be wrong.

Take a look at his criteria for defense, for instance. Takeaways, hits, and PK minutes have an impact on how good a player is defensively, when in reality those aren't very reliable categories to judge someone on their defense.

He also relies on "relative" numbers, which can hurt a player who plays on a deep team (his relative numbers compared to other great players) and help a player who plays on a bad team (his relative numbers compared to crappy teammates), but doesn't include the raw numbers. Ie. Uses relative team shot attempts against/60, relative team goals against/60, but doesn't use shot attempts against/60 and goals against/60 for the players.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
If wingers only job was to provide offense, why do lot of the top wingers have solid defensive game. Ovechkin basically floats in the defensive zone, good luck winning the cup with this guy as your captain.

It's not but who would you pick : A 40 goals PPG winger who has deficiencies in his own zone or a 20 goals 50 pts winger who is a stud defensively ?

Yes 2 way play is important but sometimes goals and points production difference outweight defensive capabilities. Offense is also part of hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad