Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He needs to get his shit together in a hurry. Get those bad bounces out of your system now doing the round-robin. If Vasy is gonna keep letting in these terrible goals while we have to manage a special teams ratio of 4 or 5 PK's to every 2 PP's like we have been going all the back to CBJ then we're done like Patrick Marleau. We can let teams play their game all we want against us and I think we will be a little better prepared for it than last year. And the PK's to PP's ratio? Fine... I actually think we are getting used to it now. But that's gonna mean we're gonna have to wait for some time for our offense to break through and we CAN NOT have Vasy goofing it up the whole way.

I still haven't gotten over him waffling the first shot of the game literally a minute into game 7 of the ECF against the Caps. Ovechkin is just trying to get it on net like 20 feet out and Vasy lets it through....

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know some people are gonna hate me for this, but...

What if we traded Vasy before his NTC kicks in? We could solve all of our RFA issues and still have enough left over to replace him with a solid, cheaper goalie.

Reactions: ultra63

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

What if we traded Vasy before his NTC kicks in? We could solve all of our RFA issues and still have enough left over to replace him with a solid, cheaper goalie.

:facepalm:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I'm of the belief that goalies are never worth top dollar, there's way too much variance in goaltending performance to take up a large cap hit.

However it's way too late to move him and figure out goaltending now, they've already committed to Vasi unless he monumentally bombs multiple playoff runs and seasons.

Reactions: Hoek

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

Trade the guy nominated for Vezina 3 times in a row? Your window closed ?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He's just pointing out an option, Tampa would be more than fine with a 6.5m goalie in net and 3m in capspace as well, it's not like losing Vasi makes them fall off the map.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't think our window would close without a Vezina caliber goalie. And it's not like we wouldn't get a huge return, while also keeping the rest of the team together. Meanwhile, I'm not sure how many teams have won cups with goalies eating this much cap.

This isn't even really about his recent performances. It's more about the cap going stagnant. That's a lot of money to pay a goalie if the cap isn't going up.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Well we did trade Ben Bishop who was a Vezina nominee in 2014, took us to the finals in 15 and was a nominee again in 16. That’s how Vasy became the starter while Bish got his big contract elsewhere. So it’s not unheard of. Everyone has a price. That said, I’m not really in favor of moving Vasy atm.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

trade probably the best goalie in the NHL ? Does anyone forgot how bad our goalie problems used to be before bishop and Vasy?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It would solve a lot of our cap problems in an instant and if he’s the reason we go down early again this season I wouldn’t be against it.

Only question is replacement...

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
Lehner, Greiss, Matt Murray (RFA)--you are rolling the dice on spending $4-$5M for a Goalie who has been good in the past, but certainly has questions.

I don't think it's even being considered and I'm not in favor of it, but with the flat cap you probably have to map out what it looks like. I don't think there would be many teams interested--partly b/c of the flat cap and partly b/c these big goalie contracts don't seem to look great pretty quickly. Major difference though in ours with Vasy is we are paying him now during his prime years. He should still be in his prime years at the end of his contract. Price and Bob may not.

Of course if MTL beats Pitt the narrative will shift on Price to see he's still awesome and he's very good. But MTL's team is a pretty big reason they are winning.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I wasn't that excited about that huge contract but now nobody will pick him up for that full tab I don't think with how the cap is. At least not in a deal that would do us any good (probably have to take salary back, defeating the purpose).

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's also no adequate replacement, every UFA in the next 2 years is either old or mediocre. Holtby sorta fits the bill but he's already 31, if only JBB shaved even 1m off that contract per year it looks that much better. Gibson is Vasi's closest comparable in terms of age and talent and he only has a caphit of 6.4m, there is definitely not a 3m difference between the 2.

Reactions: Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There's also no adequate replacement, every UFA in the next 2 years is either old or mediocre. Holtby sorta fits the bill but he's already 31, if only JBB shaved even 1m off that contract per year it looks that much better. Gibson is Vasi's closest comparable in terms of age and talent and he only has a caphit of 6.4m, there is definitely not a 3m difference between the 2.
Gibson is seen as having sort of a crummy year. Anaheim wasn't very good, but he only had a .904 sv%. The lowest of his career.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Holtby's 31, but we'd basically be looking for someone to hold the fort during our window, and I think Holtby could backstop this team to a long post-season run for the next few years.

It's not like I think we're gonna go this way, but we're about to enter our biggest cap crunch yet, so we should probably be considering outside the box options.

So it's like, are we better with Vasilevskiy + Joseph, or Holtby + Cirelli. Because the decision could look similar to that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Holtby's 31, but we'd basically be looking for someone to hold the fort during our window, and I think Holtby could backstop this team to a long post-season run for the next few years.

It's not like I think we're gonna go this way, but we're about to enter our biggest cap crunch yet, so we should probably be considering outside the box options.

So it's like, are we better with Vasilevskiy + Joseph, or Holtby + Cirelli. Because the decision could look similar to that.

We also have no replacement in the pipes so going that route also leads to a major goal tending issues down the line, not sure if that's worth giving up a locked in decade with Vasi, I don't even think it's a realistic option given the time frame we'd have to move him. Cirelli is great but we'd be fine without him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad