Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Um...I pointed out he had an injury to his glove side like back in late October. I think only Brother Cash only agreed with me and everyone else called me crazy. He couldn't pinch that one side or hug that post for a while. So many goals went in over his shoulder on that side.

I saw this through the Charts. Back then no one believed. Now, people slowly are believing.

Bro I believe in the charts so much that I don't want to believe anything you say unless it's put in chart form. I didn't see a chart bro!!

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
The Hughes/Kakko one was better

And as of now Vasy is FINALLY playing like he is worth every penny of that $9.5 million we're gonna be paying him. I think DFC is right.... there was something wrong with him earlier and I agree it's an injury or something we were not told about
I shouldn’t have to say sorry for disagreeing, but sorry, I don’t think that is true. I don’t think it can ever be true, but it definitely won’t be true for me until he wins a couple cups.

“I don’t think”
“for me”
(just quoting myself in case someone missed what I said)

Reactions: The Macho Man

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I shouldn’t have to say sorry for disagreeing, but sorry, I don’t think that is true. I don’t think it can ever be true, but it definitely won’t be true for me until he wins a couple cups.

“I don’t think”
“for me”
(just quoting myself in case someone missed what I said)

Nope it makes absolute sense. If you wanna get paid a shit load of money to not win anything go play for one of the teams in Canada. I won't complain about what our players have been making. Not yet anyway because at least in the last several years we've gotten as far as the semi-finals at least 3 times -one of which got us to the SCF. But for some crazy reason, I just woke up one morning knowing this was gonna be our year. We'll see if it happens that way or not

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
for all thats holy we give you V
in V we trust :)

i really wish we had not given him his contract myself think he woulda signed at 7 milly lol..... but he is the best in the game when he plays like he should.... for the first time start of year he really had issues in his career that were not injury caused imho... the playoff losses he had injuries couldnt move right.... so glad he got his head fixed

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
17-1-2 in last twenty starts. Not pulled in that stretch of games. While 13th in GAA and 16th in SV Vasi still keeps us in games and wins. He only has 2 shutouts but he wins games. 4 more wins than any other goalie in the league right now He has a shot at passing his personal best 44 wins in a season as well after the slow start he and the team got. And he will need to do that for consideration for a second straight Veznia.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It feels like his season didn't really start until Christmas. I don't know exactly where the divide is, when he started turning things around, but I'm betting there's a staggering difference in the numbers.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It feels like his season didn't really start until Christmas. I don't know exactly where the divide is, when he started turning things around, but I'm betting there's a staggering difference in the numbers.
I mean he's pumped his save % by like... .015 in a little over a month.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean he's pumped his save % by like... .015 in a little over a month.

Yeah, and just going from vague memory, we really aren't allowing the 3rd goal very often anymore. He's keeping it to 2 or fewer on a nightly basis, so the GAA must have fallen off a cliff too.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Should we be worried about burning this guy out? Wasn't it a couple years ago he said he was tired?

He seems like the kind of guy that needs to play but I feel like Mac should get a few more starts here

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Should we be worried about burning this guy out? Wasn't it a couple years ago he said he was tired?

He seems like the kind of guy that needs to play but I feel like Mac should get a few more starts here

I remember he said he was tired taking over for Bishop after his trade to LA. Vasy wasn't used to a heavier workload than he was already getting so that (at the time) makes sense to me. But it's been about 3 years since that happened. If Vasy is still getting tired these days then we better ask for some of that $9.5 million back and send him to see Gary Roberts.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Right now Vasi is on pace for 60 appearances which is fewer than his 65 a couple seasons ago. We are spelling him enough if you look at the game log.

upload_2020-2-8_11-16-34.png

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Right now Vasi is on pace for 60 appearances which is fewer than his 65 a couple seasons ago. We are spelling him enough if you look at the game log.

View attachment 318063

60 is right around the sweet spot for starting goaltenders too. In the event of the playoffs being clinched and you're safe in your standing (i.e you know you're WC or division winner etc) you can always play the backup in the last few games and give you starter a brief rest before the long grind of the playoffs too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

That narrative has always been overplayed, IMO. It was his first time taking a big workload, so he gets a pass for it, but we hear it brought up quite often since. If he's a starter, he can handle a starter's workload.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Do we anticipate McElhinney's usage to increase down the stretch here or is Vasilevsky the kind of goalie who benefits from a high workload going straight into playoffs?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Do we anticipate McElhinney's usage to increase down the stretch here or is Vasilevsky the kind of goalie who benefits from a high workload going straight into playoffs?

It's hard to tell. Vasy is so freaking weird because he goes on such streaks. He's either totally broken or finding some way to play even better than the best hockey of his career. The only in between lasts like 3 games. I'd keep the workload coming steady and maybe rest him in only 2 out of the last 3 games or 2 out of the last 4 because God forbid we break him by accident. Joking but not joking.

I'd probably give him the NYR game on March 28th and rest him the 6 days until last game of the year vs Detroit on April 4th. Mac starts the 2 games against Ottawa and CBJ that are in between.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Василевский верит, что сможет забить гол в НХЛ
Hey, boys!
An amazing interview summary with Vasy on the Russian site. Here are the tasty bits:
  • He still really wants to score an NHL goal.
  • His first game in the NHL is his most memorable NHL memory.
  • The second most memorable moment is his Vezina win.
  • During the All-Star game he had a laugh with Kopitar about his backhand save.
  • He says you just can't train such a thing and it's pure instinct on the spot.
  • This is the first time he shares his game day rituals ... and he seems to have a great sense of humor, because he says he goes to the toilet on game day.
  • He also has a strict eating schedule. Before game-day he doesn't go out to eat with the team, but prefers a quiet home-cooked family dinner.
  • If he didn't become a hockey player he would have become a musician. A rock musician or a DJ.
  • He loves Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Regarding house music he loves "deep house".
Stay safe, boy! Love you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad