Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
McBackup has been objectively better by every metric this season.

And his confidence better be in the toilet because if it's not we have a sociopath on our hands.
Every metric???? You mean his letting .5 more goals per game in or his quality wins against Chicago, New Jersey and Buffalo. I think you could put on the pads and beat the Devils and Hawks.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Every metric???? You mean his letting .5 more goals per game in or his quality wins against Chicago, New Jersey and Buffalo. I think you could put on the pads and beat the Devils and Hawks.
He's also facing ten more shots a game.

And it's hilarious you point to his "quality wins" when we haven't beaten anyone of consequence all season. McBackup can't affect who he gets put out there against - but he's given us a chance every game (including when we were getting caved in by Carolina and still stole a point). Vasilevskiy actively loses us games.

Vasi is currently giving us a quality start % of 50% (percent of games with league average goaltending).

McBackup has given us quality starts in 5/7 outings (and one of the ones he *didn't* was probably because we gave up 42 shots to the f***ing Devils).

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
There are teams in a playoff spot with worse goaltending than us. That shouldn’t be possible with the team we have on paper. So there are some clear problems with this team.

But if you want to choose the easy target in Vasy and completely ignore everything else then go ahead. Life is really easy when you don’t have to do any kind of critical thinking.

Coming from this poster, this is honest to god the most amazing post these boards have ever seen.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He's also facing ten more shots a game.

And it's hilarious you point to his "quality wins" when we haven't beaten anyone of consequence all season. McBackup can't affect who he gets put out there against - but he's given us a chance every game (including when we were getting caved in by Carolina and still stole a point). Vasilevskiy actively loses us games.
Ok then its time to give him the net and tank I guess its supposed to be a pretty good draft year.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Ok then its time to give him the net and tank I guess its supposed to be a pretty good draft year.
Its hilarious you don't think that's what is happening with Vasi and his .903 save percentage. He's putting together a Lindbackian season right now.

Reactions: Fudge

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think we should "give" Mcbackup the net but I think Vasi needs to sit a couple of games. Get his mind right.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
He knows he's not playing well--look at his reaction after the St. Louis PP goal at the end of that 5 on 3 and then goals 4 and 5 last night. He knows he's not making the saves he should make. He had some bad games last year (though clearly less) but until dreaded playoffs his numbers off a loss were ridiculous. This year that's not the case. They do need to help him some--way too many guys breaking through the middle (multiple goals last night started that way), but he's also got to make some saves. Goal 5 should have been gobble up.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He knows he's not playing well--look at his reaction after the St. Louis PP goal at the end of that 5 on 3 and then goals 4 and 5 last night. He knows he's not making the saves he should make. He had some bad games last year (though clearly less) but until dreaded playoffs his numbers off a loss were ridiculous. This year that's not the case. They do need to help him some--way too many guys breaking through the middle (multiple goals last night started that way), but he's also got to make some saves. Goal 5 should have been gobble up.
A lot of shots are going through him, and he's not tracking the puck well to boot. The other night against Nashville when he let in that stinker from the point he just wasn't tracking the puck at all.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He's been brutal this season but we're stuck with him. Give McBackup more starts and give Vasi some relief. He's a ultra-competitive guy, you have to have faith that he works through it eventually.

I hope Brisebois is looking to trade for a defenseman. Rolling with 7 defensemen a night isn't making up for our lack of depth.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Vasi is killing me in fantasy hockey, he's easily been the worst player statistically on my team. Not what I expected when I picked him early in the 2nd round of 3 different pools. I still have confidence that he turns it around, but time is running out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As good as Vasi is he needs defensive help. Last night the let two goals in that were all on him.

Cernak drifting outside the dotline to cover nobody for no reason off a faceoff and casuing a 2on1 is on Vasilevsky? okay then.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
This all comes down to the contract. If Vasy was this sub par making 5-6, like yeah, it sucks, but it's whatever. Goalies are streaky, goalies have bad runs.

When you're dedicating just shy of $10M a season for the rest of linear time, it becomes a monstrous problem. It becomes on par with Kucherov only putting up 15-20-35 in a season. It becomes on par with Hedman getting walked nightly.

When they chose to dedicate that kind of money to Vasy, they were taking an absolutely enormous gamble and even if he's on his game and playing the way he's capable 95% of the time, if that 5% hits at the wrong time of the year, you are done.

I just hate it from top to bottom.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I get that he's a competitive guy and he probably feels like shit for letting those goals in but I'm not sure internalizing it is exactly all that great either - might actually make him more prone to crumbling under self pressure. When the defense was playing like shit in front of Bishop he would rip them all when he got to the bench, perhaps that's why they played much harder in front of him than they used to when Vasi started.

It's not his personality to call out his team even if they deserve it but not sure blaming himself all the time is a recipe for success. Perhaps that's why it's very noticeable when his confidence is shot and he goes into deep slumps, we used to compliment Bishop on his mental game - he'd rebound a stinker with a shutout.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I get that he's a competitive guy and he probably feels like **** for letting those goals in but I'm not sure internalizing it is exactly all that great either - might actually make him more prone to crumbling under self pressure. When the defense was playing like **** in front of Bishop he would rip them all when he got to the bench, perhaps that's why they played much harder in front of him than they used to when Vasi started.

It's not his personality to call out his team even if they deserve it but not sure blaming himself all the time is a recipe for success. Perhaps that's why it's very noticeable when his confidence is shot and he goes into deep slumps, we used to compliment Bishop on his mental game - he'd rebound a stinker with a shutout.
I seem to remember a similar rebound stat for Vasi though. He's not always this mentally weak.

Brb gonna go to the Montreal and Florida forums to complain about how Price and Bob are killing my fantasy team (I legit have both, RIP me).

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Not sure anyone doubts the guy's competitiveness but that's not what the issue is. Its with his focus. Maybe he should suddenly be listed as having a LBI or something and sit the next week or two out... think that might be good for him. Let him re-charge his batteries.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
EK9NplZWoAU1q6Y

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would LOVE to see Vasi play on the 2013-2015 Tampa teams if anyone thinks this is bad they've got short term memory. Bishop would face chances like last night or worse regularly and only let 1-2 goals.

It surprises me how quickly people forget Matt Carle.

But I mean, beyond Carle, we had a number of defensemen who were on the brink of not being able to play in the league anymore (Salo, Brewer, off the top of my head), and only a handful of our forwards were consistently responsible. If we LOOKED better defensively, at times, it was only because Bishop was like half a defenseman himself.

I understand people defending Vasy over all (as opposed to the people saying he's playing just fine and it's the team's fault and he's being victimized). But I really can't understand the idea that we're a horrible defensive team. It only looks that way when every defensive mistake ends up in the back of the net.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It surprises me how quickly people forget Matt Carle.

But I mean, beyond Carle, we had a number of defensemen who were on the brink of not being able to play in the league anymore (Salo, Brewer, off the top of my head), and only a handful of our forwards were consistently responsible. If we LOOKED better defensively, at times, it was only because Bishop was like half a defenseman himself.

I understand people defending Vasy over all (as opposed to the people saying he's playing just fine and it's the team's fault and he's being victimized). But I really can't understand the idea that we're a horrible defensive team. It only looks that way when every defensive mistake ends up in the back of the net.
This is not a terrible defensive team. The effort tonight against the Sharks was proof of that. What is terrible and has cost games was losing focus on the defensmens primary job defense. There has been too much put on the D core to score more by the coaching staff you can tell when they talk to any of them. This has handcuffed the offense into covering for the D too often and not doing what they are supposed to do score goals. A team needs the D to chip in some O for sure but not have 3 of a 4 goal night like what happened the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad