Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
My first thought is some kind of injury, which is leading to a confidence issue. I feel like both might be going on. He's not pushing off very well. We're not seeing those crazy quick legs, and we saw those literally every game last year.

I don't think we can rule out the money, but I don't think we can jump to that conclusion either.

If its injury he needs to sit. Team needs to win games and having an injured goalie in there isnt a good idea. McBackup isnt bad. In fact, I think with the improved effort from the rest of the team he could be an answer for now. I understand why they would go with the vezina winner, but I dont understand why they would if he is hurt.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Vasi's biggest comparable by far is John Gibson. They're nearly the same age, Gibson posts better numbers and plays more games per season signed at 6.4m I sure as hell don't see a 3m difference between the two of them let alone in Vasi's favor. That's like trying to sell us John Tavares is worth 3m more than Stamkos.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If its injury he needs to sit. Team needs to win games and having an injured goalie in there isnt a good idea. McBackup isnt bad. In fact, I think with the improved effort from the rest of the team he could be an answer for now. I understand why they would go with the vezina winner, but I dont understand why they would if he is hurt.

You're talking about the coach who played Tyler Johnson, with a broken wrist, in Stamkos's spot on the PP. We'll go with somebody whether they're hurt or not.

It's impossible to know what exactly is up with Vasy. But it's something. I don't think we should give him the Washington game. We're almost halfway through the season and not comfortably in a playoff spot. It's time to win games.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
First of all, we've to say that Vasy's salary is not 9.5M this year.
So, if we want to talk about his play related to the salary he earns, we've to say that, this year Vasy earns 3.5M.
When he'll earn 9.5, we'll talk about it.
Btw, every athletes have their moments/seasons off. Look at Ronaldo that, last year, has scored only one time, in the first 7 Champions League games. It's only one example: we've many others to write.
So, going into next season, you're happy with paying a goalie who had a .906 save percentage the year before 9.5 million dollars? Taking a huge chunk of cap that could otherwise go to a different team need?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So, going into next season, you're happy with paying a goalie who had a .906 save percentage the year before 9.5 million dollars? Taking a huge chunk of cap that could otherwise go to a different team need?

This is the concern, but I think it's too early for it to be a sure thing. Unless there's something huge going on, he should bounce back. All we really know is there's a problem; it's hard to tell exactly what that problem is though, and whether or not he can solve it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Answer is simple. Somebody forward all the charts to Vasi and Frantz Jean and we'll be fine!

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
If, during the next season, he'll play like the 2018-19 season, yes, I'll be very very happy.
I'm very confident he'll be back at his best. Because I believe he's talent and he's a very good goalie.
I'm sure that, at the end of this season, he won't have a too low average. It won't be like last year for sure, but also not too low.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Well, the good news is he has time to figure it out before the playoffs.

And don’t tell me how the sky is falling and we’re not going to make the playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't remember his name..... Is it the high level guy???

I don't think so.

Part of me thinks it was Stammertime91, but that might only because he was the guy who came up with the Sustr/lamppost thing.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think so.

Part of me thinks it was Stammertime91, but that might only because he was the guy who came up with the Sustr/lamppost thing.

I'm pretty sure it was a random guy who started hating on Vasi during the pens series when Bishop went down. Could be wrong.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm pretty sure it was a random guy who started hating on Vasi during the pens series when Bishop went down. Could be wrong.

Whoever it was kept it up in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way even when Vasy was on top of his game.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't think so.

Thank you for the credit my noble fan but I don't think it was me coining trash-ilevskiy. I used to call him 3GAA-ILEVSKIY. Both are fitting though.

When I am in inducted to the lightning HF HOF, I will owe it to Sustr's lack of abilities.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Who cares if Vasi isn't making $9.5m yet he's not even playing up to his CURRENT salary. I definitely wasn't crazy about that extension when it was first signed. Goalies should never be making more than like $7 million in the current environment, imo. $6 million ideally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad