Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I mean I buy it a little bit but I feel like I would buy that more if they hadnt been through it before. They have gone far before and its not like this is the first time they got bounced from the playoffs. I do think they got too comfortable but they really didnt have much excuse for it. I understand we were way ahead of the rest of the league but at the same time, they are a vet team and should know "hey its the playoffs. Time to get our head out of our asses." Especially after making history after they did. You would thought in game 4 would be desperation mode but even then they looked defeated and like they didnt give a crap. It felt like they knew their chances were done. That should have never happened to this team.

Reactions: Hoek and LoSTRaMaiR

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012

This site needs a dislike button.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean I buy it a little bit but I feel like I would buy that more if they hadnt been through it before. They have gone far before and its not like this is the first time they got bounced from the playoffs. I do think they got too comfortable but they really didnt have much excuse for it. I understand we were way ahead of the rest of the league but at the same time, they are a vet team and should know "hey its the playoffs. Time to get our head out of our asses." Especially after making history after they did. You would thought in game 4 would be desperation mode but even then they looked defeated and like they didnt give a crap. It felt like they knew their chances were done. That should have never happened to this team.

Yeah. But it's one thing to "know" it, and another thing to get sort of lulled to sleep by how much better you are than the other team, almost every night, and then try to snap out of it. I think we were trying to "save something for the playoffs" by taking a period or two off every night, and it wound up biting us. I don't know what the answer is though. Beat everybody 8-2 every night? It felt like they could do that last year if they wanted, but instead they'd run up a 3 goal lead and then hit cruise control. And then in the playoffs, when everything got 10x harder, we couldn't adjust. In a million different ways. We couldn't adjust to the trap, couldn't adjust to the clutch and grab, couldn't adjust to having to score 5v5 rather than on the PP, couldn't adjust to the sudden intensity, and on and on and on.

I know I compare us to the 90s Wings a lot, but I mean, 62 wins, and the CBJ series felt a lot like the Wings vs. the Devils in '95. They spent the year stomping the league with speed and skill and then had no idea what hit them in the SCF.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think it boiled down to health at wrong time probably 1st or 2nd worst stretch of unhealthines for entire season too many bodies down no healthy 100% goalie got behind 8 ball is all.... bottom line this team for last 8 years has been decimated health wise over and over and over at the EXACT worst time they could have these issues year in year out.... im a FIRM believer in making own luck in life etc.. and it has a big part of doing things right controlling what you can etc... we have a TON of built up badluck health wise one of the few BIG factors in chasing cups or championships and stuff like that should equal out LONGTERM so at this point we are holding HOUSE money seriously we should run a few cups out moving forward you need luck you need health you need solid d and goaltending to win cups all those and what you put in work wise and skill levels etc.. equal championships.... honestly to me we shoulda be the patriots instead we been the buffalo bills so far.... they never got it done the bills but we got a LOT bigger window and imho we should cash in over and over

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Hopefully he can get in the groove with a more consistent schedule. I think goalies are creatures of habit and our schedule so far this season can't have helped. What else can we say? He's definitely been underwhelming so far and we need him to be better. He got paid now it's time to perform.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So what's up with the big cat? 901 SV% and 3.02 GAA (0 SO) in 12 games/starts.

You can blame defense or the forwards yadi yadi yah this year while he's cheap but when he's nearly 3 times as expensive next year he'll be getting less help going forward so he needs to step up regardless of the team. None of the high paid goalies (9m+) have come close to being worth their contracts thus far.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
It's still early, not worried yet. Despite his struggles so far I still like the contract. In a year or two, other goalies will hit the jackpot and Vasy's # won't look so bad in comparison unless he falls off completely.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's still early, not worried yet. Despite his struggles so far I still like the contract. In a year or two, other goalies will hit the jackpot and Vasy's # won't look so bad in comparison unless he falls off completely.

Which goalies exactly? Binnington is the only other goalie in the next 3-4 years that looks like he could get that high. Murray certainly wont and with Gibson locked in at 6.4m for 8 years there's no other young elite talent that's going to blow up the market. Vasi will likely have a top-3 goalie cap for most of that contract.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
A lot of goalies are absolute ass this season so far. I dunno what the deal is. Guys like Anders Nilsson and Carter Hutton shouldn't be putting up better numbers than the more well known names.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Which goalies exactly? Binnington is the only other goalie in the next 3-4 years that looks like he could get that high. Murray certainly wont and with Gibson locked in at 6.4m for 8 years there's no other young elite talent that's going to blow up the market. Vasi will likely have a top-3 goalie cap for most of that contract.

If we're talking 3-4 years I don't think there's any question that there will be more goalies in that AAV range. Hart, Demko, Samsonov etc. are RFA the year after next, and unless they all sign sweetheart bridge deals I'd imagine they'll be well established by then to earn big paydays.

In the meantime, I could see Holtby and Rask getting somewhat close to that number. Binnington is on his way to a big contract. Rinne, Lehner, Grubauer, Greiss etc are coming up in the next couple years as well. Those guys won't all make 9.5 mil of course, but in terms of market value there will be some deals signed that make Vasy's look quite a bit better in the next couple summers alone.

Price and Bobrovsky both carry higher cap hits, and Lundqvist isn't far behind at 8.5. If those guys got paid what they did, I don't see how the next wave doesn't get up there in the next few years too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->